How long do you give a TV show a chance?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AniProwl, Mar 5, 2011.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Just wondering that's all.

Do you just watch the pilot and decide?

The first ten to thirteen episodes?

For me, it's twenty episodes, which is equivalent to 1.5 season in a 13-episode season format or 3/4 of 26- episode season format, before I say I like the show or I toss it out out of my watching schedule.

5700th post!!!

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends how long the episodes are, but it's about ten episodes for me.

3. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I generally only watch a few episodes or so before deciding if I like the show or not, I don't give a show to many chances to entertain, mainly because I'm really not THAT picky about what I watch in the first place.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally three consecutive episodes. Based on my experience, I can usually get a good idea of the overall tone, story, characters and most of the ongoing plotlines in that time. They don't even have to be the pilot and the openers, if I'm coming into a show after it starts, just three consecutive episodes basically anywhere in the show's run. While there might still be a few things I don't understand after three episodes, it's usually enough for me to judge whether I like the show and want to stick around to see what happens next (if the series is good) or if I want to give it a couple more episodes. This is how I got into Fringe, starting in roughly the middle of second season. This only applies to scripted shows; reality shows have one episode to catch my interest, if that.

I do make exceptions, depending on the quality of the show and other factors. For instance, I quit watching that Haruhi anime and FLCL after one episode each because I found them awful. More recently, I only gave The Cape two episodes before giving up on it. On the other end of the scale, I gave Arrested Development six episodes because of all the hype, even though I knew it wasn't my thing after three. I also watched House and Bones for about half a season each because I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i Watch every show till it Ends Once i see a commercial or heard of the show im Watching it till it ends

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I usually stick for about three episodes, unless there's pressure from somebody to keep watching.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I usually give it about three episodes to decide if I'm going to stick with it.

On certain occasions,if I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to start watching a new show,I'll DVR the first few episodes,and then wait to see what kind of ratings the show gets.A perfect example this year was The Cape.It looked alright,but I figured it was destined to get cancelled.I DVR'd the first few episodes,then saw how bad the ratings were,knew it was not going to make it,and deleted all the episodes.I figure why waste my time getting into a show that's just going to get the ax.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Usually three episodes. If it still sucks, I don't see it getting better with the other episodes.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Three or four as well. Some series can start of really slow, with not much going on. If none of the characters or story elements have hooked me by then, I'm probably not going to continue wasting time on it.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Usually just the pilot and three or four episodes. Depends on how many characters there is and how big the plot is.

11. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I usually never give a show more than one chance to grab my attention. If the first episode sucks, I don't usually waste my time with the rest of the series.

A lot of people tell me "Oh, but it gets REALLY good once you hit episode 15!" Yeah, not going to sit through 14 episodes of shit just to get to the "good part".

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've heard that too. Another one I've gotten (when I mentioned I didn't like Arrested Development and/or Haruhi, IIRC) is some variant of "you have to watch the whole season/show to really appreciate it, and can't just base your opinion on only a few episodes or part of a season, because of [some reason]".

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Usually either first commercial break or first espisode...if it sucks it sucks...I.e.the cape...

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    About three.

Meh, depends.

15. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    If it's a show someone recommended to me out of the blue, 3 episodes.
    If it's a show that I found and think has an interesting plot, around 5 to 10 episodes.
    If it's a brand new show, then only the pilot.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Usually two or three episodes. Occasionally a few more if I think the show has potential. Realised BBC's Outcasts was shit within the first ten minutes though. :p 
    Then there's stuff I know is utter crap and yet I'm still watching it series after series. True Blood and Being Human are two such examples of rubbish I seem to have got stuck sitting through week after week even though I think they're awful shows on every level.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    3 to 6 episodes. Depending on the show.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    usually a few times.

I lost interest in Power Rangers Samurai because it started to just get dumber and dumber. However Showtime's Shameless i can't get enough of that show, It makes Monday's great.

19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It varies. Sometimes a show has to catch my attention right away otherwise I give it the boot, or I may stick around based on potential. Examples:

Community: the pilot held my interest, but I dropped it partway into the second episode. However I have heard it's improved a lot since, so I may pick it up again down the road.

Parks & Recreation: stuck it out during that uneven first season (which was only 6 episodes anyways). I had faith in Amy Poehler and the co-creators of The Office that they would hit their stride, and man have they ever! Currently the funniest show in my tv rotation.

20. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    3-5 episodes. If it gets better at some point, and it's an episodic series as opposed to an on-going story, I might pick it up again.