How long could it last

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Necare, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So with the speculation on the cancellation of Animated series I am wondering how long a cartoon series for Transformers could last. It appears that 3 years or seasons rather is really the max.

With G1 you have 3 seasons and then a short little bunch of episodes that people claim is a 4th season but it really isn't.

Beast wars lasted what 3 seasons? And now Animated is only 3 seasons supposedly.

I mention these three shows because they are what most people refer to as the best in writing and show.

Do you think the lifespan of these shows is limited due to its connection to toylines and Hasbro wants to push more products out the door, or is it due to poor ratings? I think if the ratings are high but they aren't making any more toys the cartoon has no backing or support. But clearly a network could pay to have the show last if it was really good.

Thoughts?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, it seems that the good non-Japanese import series' usually run for about 3 seasons. Even the movie line is set to just have 3 films.

What really bothers me is the cancellation of the toyline. :( 

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

TMNT is currently in its 7th season and supposedly last. I'm so disapointed that both my favorite TV shows are ending this year. TMNT ends this Sat in fact, though there may be a DVD movie to come. 4Kids has treated TMNT pretty well despite some big bumps and brusies along the way but it is possible for a not anime shows to still go the distance.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, but with Animated, the seasons aren't near as long as say G1 or Beast Wars, so it is 3 seasons, but it is far fewer episodes.

5. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

yeah 3 seasons of Animated is really like less than one year of say RID or Armada.

What I was hoping from Animated was that it could grow and go beyond the current TF mythology. As it is, it's covered early G1, and with season 3 it's definatly getting more into the TFTM characters. Season 4 could have delt with Head Masters, Target Masters and Pretenders. S5 would be Beast Wars.... and 6 would bring in the first real addition to the mythos since BW.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I beleive that animated was meant to be a "filler". Something to have in between the movie releases. And If was a huge success then they would have continued it. They may make a few more toys after the movie, but lets keep in mind that factories can only make so many different transformers at a time. The movie line is more important for hasbro right now so the remaining animated toys got pushed to the back burner. I think instead of being upset that animated is getting cancelled, we should be happy with everything that we got from the line.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main problem is Hasbro's need to renew product, with time, everything gotta change.

8. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

Only the 1st season of BW had 26 eps te 2nd two had 13 BW had 10 more episodes that Animated will get assuming season 3 is 13 wpisodes long.

But im hoping that BW is a good analogy and that we get a followup series for Animated there are definatly benefits to doing a sequel series over a 4th season it would be an easier jumping on point for new viewers and also allow Hasbro to market the toyline as a new line even if it featured toys of characters from Animated who simply make the jump to the new series largely unchanged. They can rest the series until the movie line is done which seeems to be their intention and unlike universe a mainline cant really be rested for 9-12 months then started back up but a sequel doesnt really have those issues and they can redo many/all of the main characters designs without it being forced. I havent given up hope completely that the Animated universe is done with only that the current incarnation of the show/toyline is coming to and end.