How long can a transformer live?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Zoneism, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Zoneism

Zoneism Zoomism

hi guys I was wodering how longa transformer could live as in what it its lifespan and can they actually die of old age, or maybe die after getting wounede. how could they die after getting wounded if they're machines?
    I mean, like, c'mon, they can't die or be wounded because they could just be rebuilt, right?
    Anyway, thanks for your replies and i will be going offline for now, but dont fret guys as i will be back in the monring or possibly after work
    as arbold swartenegger once says "ill be back" from termiator (idk which one theres alot tbqh)
    anyway, looking forward for replys!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

The standard consensus?
    If not damaged beyond repair, a Cybertronian can live indefinitely. Optimus is at least 10 million years old.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    As long as their spark or laser core is not extinguished, they're effectively immortal, even without a body.

--Moony

• Like Like x 6
  4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    The two previous replies were spot on.

Although they may have extremely long life spans and be able to take lots of hits, the beauty about it is they can still die from getting killed, but those methods could be as extreme as getting dropped on a volcano to getting thrown into the sun.

I’m also more or less inclined to subject them to the laws of the bayverse, that is given the right hits on certain parts of their body they can be vulnerable.

But that’s what one of the things I like about Cybertronians as durable, long-lived alien species apart from other alien tropes like Superman who only kryptonite can kill him or other beings stronger than him. Cybertronians may be strong but they’re subject to some laws of physics and can still be vulnerable.

Just a note also Megatron is much older than Optimus.

• Like Like x 4
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until the Spark is extinguished

6. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    They can live virtually forever as long as they are not taken down by injury. However, like all machines, parts do wear out. So an ancient Transformer may suffer a variety of mechanical breakdowns or unreliabilities (such as Ratchet's failing hands).

• Like Like x 1
  7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The differences between various continuities aside, I don't think it's really ever been laid out conclusively what a death from 'natural causes' looks like for Cybertronians. It'll probably depend on the setting, but still. I think we've seen allusions to it in the comics, but I don't know of any solid examples.

On the one hand, we KNOW that some Cybertronians have been incredibly long lived, thousands and even millions of years. In general, it seems common across many continuities to see Cybertronians who are old far far beyond human lifespans.

However, in some cases, we see that those Cybertronians can 'age', both in body and mind. Parts can wear out or break down, or become obsolete, and Cybertronians can become forgetful, or confused, inward-looking or disinterested in the world, all features that can border on senility.

That being said, however, we've also seen Cybertronians get new bodies, and new perspectives on life as a result. Maybe, absent those regenerations, Cybertronians eventually fade away into nonexistence or go into a permanent stasis, but really, who knows?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as the writer wants.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Zoneism

Zoneism Zoomism

Byut what if I want them to live forever like can I do that, or is that not a thing that i can do. See I think Alex kurtzman was a greate writer when it came to writning transformers, but i think he wrote his character to die off realy early and also hes kinda racist because the transformers are very steryotipical and they are a bit affensive to be quite honest. anyway, if you were to ask me what i would do in my story of tranasformers i would do something like let them live forver and ever, because death is sad, and i think that optimus prime cant die, i mean i never really saw the shows, or even really remember them (mum told me i watched the shows when i was a kid but i dont really remember them) but i believe prime dies at some point? Kinda like how he died in the movie but the movie was later or earlier? but yeah, my point is that optimys tdying was not a good thing.

Sorry if myt spelling is off i got a new keyboard and i am still getting used to it, my mum says its a special keyboard for people like me, and i dont really know what that means, but she says it might take me a while to get used to it.

11. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

It IS possible for a Cybertronian to die from old age, but only from a major lack of energon and repairs. Otherwise they're effectively immortal so long as they stay in shape.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If its your story, its your rules.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    According to IDW, they were not always immortal. Once Mortilus (the death bringer) died after a war between Primus, Adaptus, Epistemus, and Solomus, all Cybertronians lived forever unless injured or whatnot.

Also, old age could kill a Cybertronian with Cybercrosis. It only happens after 5-6 million years or so and the Cybertronian who has Cybercrosis probably wasnt repaired a lot. Also Corrodia Gravis will kill a transformer if he/she doesnt get the parts he/she needs. So basically, injury and diseases can kill a transformers, and thats it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

One thing I've never liked is the million year + lifespan in most series.

I would prefer their lifespan was thousands of years.

I also hate when younger characters like Hot Rod, Blurr and Siren are portrayed as millions of years old or around before the war.

On the subject of young Transformers, we never really get any young Decepticons.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  15. CoktimusPrime

CoktimusPrime I see you ;)

As long as a piece of string.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zoneism

Zoneism Zoomism

see i wanted to make my own story but at the same time i wasnt it to be official for writers to include it onto the official films. for example, id like for optimus to not die because he is my hero and i think that he just shouldnt die period. so how can i contact these so called writers so that i can talk to them and convince them to not write like that and to take inrpiriation from me because i know what teh fans want, and i am a fan (kinda) about this transformers series. perhaps i can be of assitant?

17. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No offence, but they will never, ever, ever, EVER, include the story a random fans fan fiction. By all means, make a story, but let the official writers write about what they want to write about and do what the company commands.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    There's fans who've made it into writing in an official capacity, but it won't be from a story like this. They've all worked hard, built up their skills, and gained renown for being an author before they got a shot at writing what they were a fan of. Nothing personal, but I don't think you're quite there yet, and I don't think the pros go around reading everyone's fanfic so they can pat people on the back and give them the opportunities they've worked for years to get.

Keep writing, keep working on your stuff (if your new keyboard is giving you trouble, go back and edit your writing afterwards, its worth it to improve how your writing comes across), and maybe you'll make to the writers' room someday.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

There was the Mosaic series, and James Roberts had Eugenesis, but making anything like that requires years of experience. You're far, far ahead of yourself, so maybe try branching out and/or posting your stories somewhere you can get legitimate feedback.

As with anything: Practice, practice, practice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

How long can metal last? Rust alone sets in after about a decade or two, and that's by far not the only danger. The takeaway here is they'll constantly need to repair/replace parts, decade after decade. And if resources are ever a problem (like on Cybertron), then there's the main issue.

In adulthood, I found the idea of TFs lasting (unconscious in G1 Ark) for 4 million years ridiculous. Fun, but divorced from reality.

Sure, the old "impervious non-Earth elements" argument, but millions is still ridiculous. If anybody disagrees, study some metallurgy.

A generous fictional estimate is in the thousands (1-9k) at best. Not 10s, 100s, millions, etc. I've always considered Transformers to be not much different than Doctor Who in the age regards.

• Like Like x 1