How long before your shit stops being new?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty sure someone's thought of asking this for a topic before, but how long do your toys generally remain "new" to you, at least in terms of not simply blending in with everything else? Also when it happens (since it usually does), is it more of a physical blend such as joining a display instead of floating around free deskspace or more of a mental blend where the formerly new toy just fades away into the collection (regardless of placement)?

Also, have there been times where something's remained new for a rather long or short time, and has being the "most recent" toy always meant that it felt like your newest?

2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    all my toys stay the same though i give new toys the special spot but heck i still play with amarda smokescreen

though i wish they would update his toy

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    HFtD Battle Hooks Optimus Prime still feels new to me. I've had it for some time now, but every time I happen to glance in its direction, I still end up staring at it for several seconds. I know exactly what you mean about a toy fading into the scenery after a while -- countless toys have gone down that path in the past -- but Battle Hooks Optimus refuses to do it.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    i still hold most if not all my toys special and valuable. Esp my G1 collection.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Oh, everything is still special & valuable to me (regardless of whether its 4 days old or 4 years old), but only a few of em manage to outlive the ones that come after. FE voyager Prime is one of them, and I think there's more to it than simply being the biggest member of my computer desk crew. :) 

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Unless it's a particularly well executed toy, usually about 20 minutes.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Some go right onto the shelf as soon as being opened and transformed to robot mode. Almost all my DotM is now in storage. Just checking I seem to have mostly Generations and Universe stuff wandering my desks and being enjoyed, probably more because of the G1 character nostaliga, along with WFC. TFP Cyberverse Commanders have taken control of my bedside cabinet though. RotF Leader Optimus and DotM Leader Sentinel guard the way with MP Grimlock and Skywarp.

I don't think I have any hard and fast rules for how long something stays new and interesting to me. Good mold, great fiddle-factor, preferred character, it all matters. Those with a combination of two or more of those will obviously stay fresh to me for longer. Sometimes though I'll just get sick of seeing the figure clutter and grab the nearest ones and put them into storage regardless of what they are until my display mood changes.

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Now this is a quite a question. On one hand I get the urge to toss em all aside. On the other hand, I feel like I don't want to just say "Screw it. I'm done."

I've had some memories and recounts with my action figures. Oh the years that go by when I recount some crazy things. I try to think it's nothing new. Usually ends up backfiring and I go "Did I really buy this? It's old. But it feels fresh outta the factory..."

9. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hasbro stuff 20 min

3rd party stuff-life time of entertainment

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    Normally they last for about 3 months. After that I have enough newer stuff to push all the last 3 months into storage and build a new display.

The one exception has been City Commander. He has beaten the cut for years now. There is so much weaponry piled on that thing that it must be twice as heavy as when it started!

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

HMMMM.... an odd but apt question.

Sometimes I think of anything I have from 2000 up as new. Because when I think of something old I think G1. Then again, I also only feel the latest wave of a line is new. Even now my Prime figures feel kind of old because there are newer figures I haven't gotten yet. And, I haven't had them for very long. I guess I'd call what I have new'ish. :D 

12. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once the 'new shit' smell dissipates.

...or the next wave is released.

13. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dunno lately I've been trying to hold back on buying a lot of fluff, so I try to get maximum mileage out of the stuff I do spend money on. I find rearranging shelves and funny as it sounds, cleaning! can help make stuff you bought years ago seem like new toys again. It's like re-acquainting yourself with an old friend :D 

But yeah it could be anywhere from a day, to week, month or years for me. I do have to say though the one toy I always find myself fiddling with regardless of how long it's been in my collection is city commander. That thing always brings a smile to my face and makes me feel like I just bought it recently. MP Grimlock is kinda the same way too.

14. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends. If it's an average figure like Generations Sky Shadow for instance, I'll play around with it for a lil while, display him on my desk for a week, and eventually store him with the other Generations. But if it's rare or exceptionally good I usually either keep it MISB or on display on my shelf (like what I'm doing with my Prime stuff at the moment). Considering the RiD line is relatively new and Soundwave is fairly hard to find, I'll probably keep them for all to see for awhile.

Oh and MPs never get old.

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Usually until the next shipment of figures comes my way. Or until I get a better version of said character.

My Animated Jetfire\Jetstorm still remain fresh and exciting even after owning them for over 2 years, but Animated Jazz is probably the last figure I'll pick from the box to transform.

WFC Prime makes me all excited to pick up and play around to transform, WFC Bumblebee I only enjoy posing him around in robot mode.

16. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    An average figure like PRID Cliffjumper for example, I forget about by the next day. A nice original G1 will be "new" to me for a few weeks to a month. After that it kind of blends in with the rest. I have my favorites that stick out no matter what. But after that month, at the most, I'm moving on to newer stuff.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    When I flush.

*Reads the OP's post properly*

Oh! When they are new, they hover in the front room. When they are old news, relegated to the toy room, which is great fun as they find their place in my collection then.

18. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I still consider anything from Unicron trilogy and after 'new'.

iDD

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

'New' Is in the eyes of the beholder, but, being wired a certain way and the logical mentality that I am... Anything NEW to me is the most recent purchase. This however does not mean that it will always be so... Or, if I buy many things over the course of one week, the old New doesn't get replaced by the new New. :lol 

Seriously though, anything can be new again, I just pulled out all of my BW figures for a photo shoot to showcase in my collection thread and it felt like meeting old friends again. And now, several figures have replaced my Animated Display.

That is what having a Rotational Display Area means. Everything can be NEW, you just have to pull it back out and stick it on the shelf again and it is new.

20. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

Well here it comes like this: I get 3 pkaces for toys, a glass cabinet, a huge table and my pc desk/table.

PC desk table is my nest almost full time so here I display the toyus I like best to look and fiddle with, and the new toys, since I will like to mess and fiddle too. Usually new toys stay until I get more new toys and there is no space for them, or when they are awesome enough to kick some other awesome toy who´s been there before out of the taBLE.