How is the HD DVD?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hopesfall, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Hopesfall

Hopesfall Member

Hi guys,
    does anyone already have the HD DVD release of the movie? I have mine preordered on amazon.com, but will have to wait 2 weeks until it arrives in Germany.

I'm wondering about that 3d-feature it's supposed to have. How is it?

I already know the answer to this question, but is it possible to transform the robots in that feature? I guess not, right?

Greets, Alex

2. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

I'm sure its not as cool as it would be if it was on Blu-ray. Just thought I'd jokingly throw that in there being a Blu-ray supporter myself.

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Yeah...I only have a PS3 for my high-def needs. I'm not going to buy an HD-DVD set just for one movie, and I'm pretty certain this movie will be on Blu-Ray one day, eventually. Either HD-DVD loses and Transformers gets a re-release on Blu-Ray, or Blu-Ray loses, at which point, I have bigger problems than worrying about Transformers on Blu-Ray.

Anyway, all signs point to, "Not buying the DVD." I just can't bring myself to buy a DVD anymore on first release. Avoiding first-releases has NEVER failed me.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I hear that the transfer is really nice, but the audio track is not lossless audio.

That said, I dont care as I was planing to buy it on Bluray as I have a PS3. But Paramount stabbed me in the back when they revoked their previous commitment to bringing Transformers to blu ray. Also, I didnt buy the movie on DVD because of this.

5. Hopesfall

Hopesfall Member

Well...those posts were pretty interesting so far.

If now somebody comes along that wants to talk about the HD DVD, I would be completely satisfied :dunce 

About that lossless audio thingy...do you need a special decoder for that? When I switch to lossless format, my dolby digital receiver switches to Pro Logic II...which can't be the non-plus-ultra :dj 

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Gushing about Transformers in HD.

First off: WOW. The picture is amazing. Glad I picked it up in HD. It's a two-disc set, with disc one being the movie itself. You've got the option of several language tracks and even more subtitles, commentary by Michael Bay, a Transformers H.U.D. over the film (think pop-up video), and "Web-enabled features." That's the cool part, as any HD-DVD player with an ethernet port (I can confirm that the downloadable features work with the Xbox 360's HD add-on drive) can access an evolving set of features for the film for as long as the studio supports it. Right now, there are only two features available. The first of six Sector Seven videos (the test footage of Bumblebee transforming in a parking garage), and a Transformers info display. It's basically a border around the film that has small icons for each of the TFs on the left side, and various other info around the screen. If a particular TF is on screen, that character's icon enlarges, and you get info about that specific character, a GPS readout of where they happen to be on earth at that moment, and other little goodies. Forthcoming options include the ability to set all your menus to a particular character's theme, and something else I can't recall at the moment, with more to be added later. And while I don't hold out much hope for this happening with Transformers in particular, it seems like this technology could be used, if additional scenes are ever finished, to allow one to download the new scenes, and select a new "overlay" that could insert those scenes back into the film. And for the love of god, if that's not currently something being thought about or implemented, I implore those of you with entertainment connections to plant that seed in someone's head. It needs to be done.

Also, after the credits, you get a secret pop-up menu that lets you watch a brief video featuring the Autobots, the original teaser trailer, and the hot as hell Iron Man trailer. And let me tell you, watching the IM teaser in full high-def with surround sound is AWESOME.

Disc two is the extras disc, and it's the same special features as the regular 2-disc set, but again, in high def. There's some neat stuff there, including some deleted scenes mixed into the features as well as some neat PIP moments where you'll see a scene being shot documentary-like, with the corresponding "what the actual camera sees" scene, and it's neat seeing the non-special effects parts of scenes that are clearly recognizable from within the film itself. Also, there's some pretty funny outtakes, improv, and some great playing by ear by Shia in there. "Play all" is your friend here. I've only watched the "Our World" subsection of features, as there is EASILY over two hours of footage on there. There's some nice concept art galleries set to music, a concept to screen feature for the desert attack scene, and exclusive to the HD-DVD version, a "tech spec" gallery, with the ability to view high-resolution, rotating 3-D models of the ACTUAL render models used in the film, which lets you see a LOT of the detail you don't catch in the film itself. I've got a whole new appreciation for ILM after seeing those.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Also, while not lossless, the audio is AMAZING on the HD version.

8. Hopesfall

Hopesfall Member

That sounds stunning.

Many Thanks for that long and detailed post.

Now you got me hyped even more...bad boy :p 

But I guess the 3d models CAN'T transform, right?

9. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Is there any way you could get screen shots of the HD DVD extras.. Not so much the HD it's self in the film, I'm just curious as to what it looks like with the "pop-up video" thing you spoke of, and the web enabled stuff, the boarders and GPS things.

Don't know if it's alright to ask that. Sorry if not. I honestly would have picked up the HDDVD if I had the means to be able to see it.

And yes, I can clarify, there IS easily over 2 hours of footage on the extra DVD. Well worth spending the money spent.

10. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    The only thing I wish is that they showed the robots transform. I am still perplexed to how they did it with Prime. I might have to pick this up when the format war is over

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    No problem. As far I can tell , the 3d models don't transform, unless I haven't found something. You can look at the renders for Optimus, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Megatron, Blackout and Starscream, and you chosse upper body, torso/midsection, and legs. Each section pops up on the screen and rotates left or right, depending on your preference.

12. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Here are some feature screenshots (well, okay photos I took with my digital camera, since I can't do screenshots currently). Not the best quality, but they get the idea across.

Here's the web-enabled mode with an info pop-up:

[​IMG]

And with a GPS pop-up

[​IMG]

You can see the character icons on the lefthand side. When a TF is on screen, their respective icon will pop up and give you info such as alt mode, a health bar, etc. If there are multiple robots onscreen, you get all of their icons. It's pretty neat.

Here's the included on the disc H.U.D. feature with a PIP pop-up b-roll clip:

[​IMG]

And the included H.U.D. with an info pop-up:

[​IMG]

And here's a look at the tech inspector, featuring Ironhide:

[​IMG]

Web-enabled features that are listed as Coming Soon but are not yet active are the ability to customize your menu screens with different character themes, a "profiler" option with info on the actors/directors/etc, and the ability to create custom scene playlists for playback that you can share with other HD-DVD users.

Hope that helps!!

13. Straycat

Straycat TFQ Addict in Rehab

Wow, that really looks awesome--thanks very much for the details and screenies. If this ever comes to BR, or if HDDVD wins the war, I'm there. Sure sux that Sony had to pull a fast one on BR fans, I would have loved to have those extras.

Guess it's special edition DVD for me. Has anyone seen the Wal-Mart prequel DVD? I'm wondering if it's any good.

14. BlackTrailerOps

Hmmm, I see Lost Season 1, Napolean Dynamite, Pirates of the Caribbean, Buffy, Wonder Woman, Arrested Development, Law and Order, Firefly, Angel, Spaceballs, many more, but most importantly Transformers DVDs. Nice collection my friend.

15. BlackTrailerOps

Sony didn't pull the fast one, Dreamworks and New Line pulled the fast one on Blu-Ray fans. By the way, Blu-Ray has already won the war. HD-DVD just doesn't know it yet. Watch out Xbox 360 and HD-DVD, PS3 and Blu-Ray is going to come like a bat out of hell and burn ya'll to the ground.

16. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Thanks! We're happy with it. A little lower and you'd see the whole series of Farscape, as well as our PS3. We're covered no matter where the HD war goes :) 

17. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Man, I'm just old fashion I guess. I got the 2 disc with the comic book prequel dvd and the film itself. but I like it what it is. for the rest of you guys or gals having HD DVD or Blu-Ray it always something unique to explain your viewing pleasure. So have an awesome time watching the movie.

18. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've only watch the movie to this point and it looks great. One of the better HD movies. No noticable noise in the video and I only noticed one point that made me thing, that looks odd.

19. GoblinWhirlwind

GoblinWhirlwind The Killer Joke

I'm still wondering if anyone's gonna make an HD screencap thread...

20. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    yeah i'm wondering when someone is actually gonna talk about the HD review instead of talking about who's gonna win the HD war LOL!