How is drift in the generations line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HAILTHEFALLEN, Feb 14, 2010.

1. HAILTHEFALLEN

HAILTHEFALLEN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    where in transformers past toy lines does drift fit in to the generations line? i see no where in g1 there is a drift. and g2 dont see it.....so where is the fit?
    and why wont they do a wheeljack, jazz or trailbreaker instead?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Generations isn't Classics/Universe 3.0, the goal isn't to improve an older toy of a classic character. Generations is a catch-all for any non-movie figure they want to do, same way Straxus is getting one when he never had a toy in G1.

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Who cares about the semantics of what line he's in? That aside, he is in the Generation One continuity because IDW comics are a branch of that. And who said we won't get Jazz, Wheeljack, or Trailbreaker? I think with the announcement of Thrust, that all hopelessness is lifted. It doesn't mean we're going to get everything, but it means that anything is really possible.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

He's a "new" character introduced by IDW, he is NOT G1. G1 ended in 1990. Any new charters are NOT G1, they are just new characters, like Sunstorm.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Funny thing is, Classics/Universe actually was kinda ment to be that as well. 2.0 had 2 Beast wars figures, an Armada character, and TFA legends. But so many fans seemed to have this mind set that it was strictly a G1/G2 remake line.

I like that they're actually doing comic book characters now. It should be interesting to see where they go with it.

6. Zherbus

News Credits:
    Really? More semantics? Does it really matter? He's canonically in G1 as far as Hasbro is concerned, regardless of whether he was around during the actual G1 era or not. Hasbro decides what goes in which line. The logic chain of the whole scenario is grossly uncomplicated.

Writing "not" in all caps doesn't make your point any more valid. In fact, I don't see what your point is.

7. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Agreed. Drift and Straxus (Darkmount) are the seal cracking on on a front of new possibilities. Imagine we get toys like Impactor or Turmoil. Semantics (which is now my word of the day!) be damned!

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Wait, Straxus is getting a toy? Is it a head in a jar or a Megatron repaint?

9. Zherbus

News Credits:
    Nope, it's a bad-ass triple changer that's called "Darkmount", but it's so very clearly Straxus.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    New mold, triple changer, very comic art accurate:

[​IMG]

Out of everything announced this weekend, Straxus here takes the points for being what I am most psyched for.

I'm loving that the new Generations line is a catch all for whatever character Hasbro feels like working in. Drift is another great example. Who knows what else we might get?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The only series Drift has appeared in was a G1-based comic (well, and that Robot Heroes thing). So where, praytell, would he fit in other than a G1-homaging toyline?

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't see Darkmount as a deluxe. He looks so much like he should be Bludgeon sized at least.

13. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Generations is a line for anything and everything from all forms of Transformers media (cartoon, movie, comic, video game, EVERYTHING). That's why the War for Cybertron figures are part of the Generations line. I'm really excited for this line. It opens up so many possibilities for more G1/G2-ish updates as well as figures from pretty much any continuity. Drift and Straxus/Darkmount look promising. I think it'll be a great line with TONS of potential!!

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    EXACTLY RIGHT!

As someone mentioned earlier, having characters like Impactor, Turmoil, hell even Spanner or Rack-n-Ruin are high possibilities now, thanks to Drift and Darkmount/Straxus leading the way for comic only characters. And who knows what else....Victory Saber, Metalhawk, Overlord, Deathsaurus....on and on and on.

Welcome Generations. :D 

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    God everytime I see that Straxus pic I can't wait for Generations to get released. All the other toys can go to hell.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been waiting a long time to get updated versions of the Japanese-only dudes, and I'd be even more excited for them than for Straxus (not that I'm not super grateful for him!).

But if they ever did make Overlord, he'd have to at least be an Ultra. Being huge is part of his personality! (unlike, say, Fort Max and Scorponok, whose bigness was considered unimportant enough for the comic writers to nix)

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they aren't as awesome as Drift...no other Transformers character is. I mean, Drift has three swords, man. Three. And one of those three swords is a super-special huge sword. Do Wheeljack, Jazz or Trailbreaker have three swords? No, no they don't.

The odd thing isn't that Drift is in Generations, the odd thing is that it's taken this long for such a unique, original, awesome, universally-beloved character to get a toy. I know I speak for everyone when I commend Hasbro for finally rectifying this grave injustice.

18. Zherbus

News Credits:
    Hell, Bludgeon only has two swords.

19. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm stoked for Drift and Straxus. Can't wait to see what else is in store. And WFC is part of Generations also aren't they?

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Classics was focused on G1.

When we got to Universe the line expanded out into more places not just G1 or G2.

I'm guessing with Marvel taking the name Marvel Universe for their 4" figures then Transformers needed to change Universe to something else.

Generations then is just expanding the Universe idea of picking characters from all over the history of Transformers. Yea Drift might be a new bot on the block but he's still a part of Transformers history. Thus he fits right into the Generations line because he's done in that style of figures.

Why Hasbro is so dead set against giving us Classics/Universe/Generations style toys of Wheeljack, Jazz, Trailbreaker and other popular Autobots and Decepticons is anyone's guess. Maybe someone at HQ thinks it's funny that we will get our hopes up every time the style comes back only to not get the figures we think should be no brainers.