how in the world does scalping pay off?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was just talking to my girlfriend about the number of folks here who have apparently "caught" scalpers in the act with the movie toys. how in the world does this pay off? I mean, they have to go to the trouble of finding them, paying ebay fees for both posting and selling them, and then usually paypal takes a cut. so if someone pays $15 for a deluxe before shipping, it would seem that the person selling would only actually see ten of that, which would be what they paid for it. am I missing something, or are deluxes going for way more than that?

2. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I was in a shop this weekend and they wanted 30.00 for the movie Arcee.

3. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was thinking about it too, and if you were to scalp, you wouldn't make much of a profit. It seems that the only people who do scalp are those without a job. As the profit you make isn't much more than what you could earn in a day or two on a regular job even at minimum wage. Unemployment FTL!

4. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Well. $10 at a store for 08 Bumblebee. Sell for $40, and charge shipping. Sounds like profit to me!

5. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Let's say I bought 3 08 Bumblebees at $12 bucks a pop, add taxes and I just dropped about $38 bucks

If I put those on ebay, the price right now is about 30-40 bucks, so lets say $35, plus shipping lets say it turns out to be about $45 a pop. I'm not paying for shipping, the buyer is, but I do pay for paypal and ebay... which is about $5. So lets say I make $30 per figure. If I get back $90 for a $38 dollar purchase, that's a pretty big return.

However, if you have a real job you can make that kind of money in a matter of hours. I dont think most scalpers have a day job, or make decent money, so for them the work actually pays off. If I took time away from my job to scalp I'd be losing money. Plus I dont really get off on denying people toys. I think I get a laugh sometimes from the scalpers because they're usually bottom-feeding tools who couldnt exist in society and have to live on the periphary, throwing overpriced toys into it and hoping someone holds up their hands.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed. They make a bit of money but if you break down to an hourly wage these people make nothing.

7. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    and sometimes, bald, buff, and tattooed...

at least from my experience :throw 

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

concept bumblebee goes for that much?!?! wow, glad I got that dude at tru to find me a case in the back so I could get one for myself. sheesh.

9. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Its all supply and demand. I just payed $20+ for a concept bumblebee cause I can't find the damn thing. I have seen some leader class go over $60 easy. Scalping isn't anything new.......just look at the oil companies.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    In most cases its the FANS that are causing the insane prices (or in the case of oil, the drivers)...

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Plus it pays for the scalper to keep the figures as hard to find for as long as possible. If they are able to ride this wave out until the next wave is released they can insure that all of the extra figures that they are hording will sell at a higher price. They will just say that limited quantities of that wave hit our area when infact they had a hand in reducing availability. It's a way to control the market in their favor.

In my area unfortunately, most of the comic book stores and toy collectible stores do this. They get some kids to go to all of the stores when they open and buy up all of the rare figures from all toylines so that you have to go to their stores and get them at a huge markup. I wouldn't be surprised if the store owner pays them with free comic books instead of cash.

12. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Quite true. Scalpers may set a high price but no one forces someone to buy.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

in which case, I've never minded ebay/auctions. if people are willing to spend that much, let them. I'm just surprised that the prices are going high enough to make it worthwhile.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most scalpers have jobs that free them time to hit stores right at opening. It's obviously profitable for them, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

15. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Scalpers are tools who have never had a woman,never shower,don't have a real job & are a bunch of losers who only take the "hot toys" and leave the crap for the rest of us....:Gouki:  I can say the same thing about Star Wars figures..I've been to many TRU,Wal-Mart,Target etc. and I can find ALL of the other figures (That I have already) EXCEPT for the Concept Boba Fett....Hmm...:rolleyes2 

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Here's an example I've been following...
    Longarm retails for $10. I have never (even when it was released) seen it for more than $25 on ebay. Why? No demand. Is it still rare as hell to find? Yes. Now it can be found for cost+shipping in most cases. There's still a few high BINs, but most are $8-13.

Dropkick, too.. Maybe $25 the day it was released... Now it's down to $10-20. Still rare.

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I agree it is sort of a host/parasite relationship. If we didn't want the figures so bad, they wouldn't spend the time acquiring it; they'd be latching onto something else that they could make quick money off of.

18. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Speaking as one who has been known to scalp, never TFs btw not that, that will make any difference but i think if your going to discuss the subject you should see the other side of the mountain as well. You make huge profit off of it if you do it correctly, and ebay is often not the way to go... Ive made a shitload of money off of Final Fantasy VII I bought a crate of them off of a discount store that was closing, at 5 bucks a pop and sold them all for 50 (non greatest hits versions), I made a killing off of Smackdown vs Raw 2006 for the PS2 when it came out, i was buying copies off a contact for 19.99 and selling them for 64.99.. and videogame systems.. dont even get me started for a scalper they are a goldmine. Ive pretty much stopped scalping now, and devote my time to working the system lol... I get ridiculous deals by legally working the system :D 

19. Zoltaire

Zoltaire TFsource Emissary

News Credits:
    As a general rule, I buy two and sell one, so that I can technically get mine for free or atleast cheaper. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

20. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Ive had a lot of arguments about the corrupt morality of scalpers, scalpers are unquestionably out for their own it is to, without a doubt, make a ton of money off of. The argument the scalper will usually use is that if people didnt want to pay the price, they wouldnt and the scalper would then get stuck with the product... retarded scalpers will often get stuck with product they cant push and end up selling at a loss... because they dont research, they purchase on impulse and word of mouth. Ones like me research the product so we know we have a sure sell.. we hold the product till it goes scarce and then we offer our wares and thats when you snag people who are in desperation for what you have. Is it moral? Certainly not... is it legal and profitable, of course or we wouldnt do it. last time for me was PS3 and i used the money I made off of that to have a good Christmas for my family and i see no reason to defend myself on that point so I wont... but its always good to see through the others eyes.