How Important Is "Plastic Breathing" For Vintage TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

After seeing a bunch of horror stories about how vintage Transformers were damaged following long-term storage in acid-containing plastic bags, I wrapped all of mine in either small, acid-free polypropylene storage bags or special plastic European sandwich/garbage bags which have a more papery feel to them and placed them in Tupperware containers. However, the problem of plastic needing to "breathe" has now become an issue.

For the more experienced collectors here, I'm interested in knowing what their take on my current storage method is: is this "safe" or have I just traded one problem for another?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suspect the horror stories are more widespread than the actual problem, and that there are a lot of variables that can affect any individual storage situation.

My G1s have been in Ziplocs in Rubbermaid bins in air-conditioned storage for 5+ years... had them out recently and they're as good as new. No change in the toys or the bags, rubber tires are good, paint is good, no rust, Jetfire and Red Alert are still bone white, no buildup or visible damage of any kind.

I think heat, cold, or moisture are more often the culprit than the plastic chemistry or the bags, but I can only speak from what I've seen personally.

3. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm, I currently have most of my collection in Sterlite tupperware boxes (the clear ones) of different sizes.

I plan to buy a glass display cabinet soon and I was wondering if the figures will get damaged if you just leave them in tupperware boxes without any protection or Ziploc bag covering them. Also, will the figures get any paint wear, yellowing, damage, etc. in a glass display case? (if it helps, mostly all of my TF's are from 2007-present)

Thanks in advance!

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A lot of my loose G1, G2 and other figures from ten years or more ago are stored in basic cardboard boxes in the cupboard under the stairs. It has some heating pipes which run through there so it can get a bit warm. I had a load of the boxes out earlier in the year and everything was fine, even the stuff with gold plastic. Nor were any stickers peeling.
    Sometimes I think the many methods of storage suggested and horror stories thereof are overrated. Either that or I've just been very lucky.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Moisture and significant heat or sun over a prolonged period are going to be the real culprits, as opposed to most normal storage methods. If you feel more comfortable using acid-free bags, its certainly not going to have any detriment, I wouldn't think. The plastic should be fine, so long as its in a cool, dry place.

As for the rubber, I'm not sure, but its probably okay the same way.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got to the point where I've had to start storing my TFs too. ^this^ is the method that I've been using as well, glad to hear some good input on it :D 

Not to get too off topic but does anyone have any feedback/info on putting moth balls in the tubs with them to help control the humidity? I know I've read a couple of posts where people suggested it but don't how well it worked out.
    The popular conciseness is that direct Sunlight will cause yellowing of white plastic.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's a good point about the mothballs. I haven't used them but it occurs to me the small silica packet things that come with new shoes might be a less smelly alternative. I need to hit up DSW for some new dress shoes for work, maybe I'll stock up on the packets while I'm there.

8. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I store my Transformers in direct sunlight without the aid of a climate controlled environment and acid free bags so they can rightfully age and become vintage artifacts so that one day, a hundred years from now, they will be showcased in a museum as primitive toys because the Transformers of the future will be actual robots with personalities and feelings. :wtf: 

Just joking... I place them in plastic bags and store them in plastic storage containers in a climate controlled storage facility.

9. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    In the future I would hope that my Decepticon Master would be kind enough to drag me along with him to the museum to partake of their history LOL

Back on topic.

Those little moisture control packets are a good idea, I never would have thought about them. I hate the smell of moth balls, that's why I haven't given it a try yet. I wonder how many it would take to effectively work on a decent sized tub.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay: