How important is die cast to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Toyzaremine, Aug 31, 2009.

?

Would you pay extra for toys with die cast?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2009.
  1. Yes, I would pay double for die cast

29 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. No, i dont need die cast, it is a "lost art"

86 vote(s)
    74.8%
  1. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If toys were marked up say, 100% would you pay that if it incorporated generous amounts of die cast components?

For example, suppose all classics and universe 2.0 figures had 30-50% die cast with them, but were double price what they were before.
    Such as deluxes for $20-$25
    voyager for $40
    leaders for $70-$80

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

[​IMG]
    No thanks.

3. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    :thumbdown  I used to like it.

Till I saw "what" Soundwave was.

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ Yeah, they tried with Titaniums.... no thanks from me, also

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    90% of the time diecast HURTS a toy.

It's only PURE nostalgia that makes fanboys want the stuff. Back in the 70's and 80's plastics technologies were not yet up to the task of handling stress-requirements of transformation and play. That's not the case any more.

The over-priced Binaltechs suffered from a lot of mis-matched colors and chipping paint, and occasionally parts that didn't fit right as the die-cast had no "give."
    (I KNOW I'm getting flak for that one, true or not..)

The nail-in-the-coffin for me was when the reissue Voltron came out. (Not a TF, but a giant robot all the same.) Every vintage one I had seen suffered from being floppy as hell, I figured it was because of age. The brand new reissue ones were JUST as bad. The WEIGHT of all that unnecessary metal just ruined the toy. Had the same thing been molded in plastic, it would have been a glory. With the die-cast, I was really glad my friend had bought it, and not me.

Sadly Masterpiece Prime suffers the same issue. 60% of his posing-potential is destroyed by all that bloody steel. Had he been all plastic it would have been an AMAZING toy. With all the nostalgia-glasses-die-cast-is-essential-metal he's a toy that has to be displayed very carefully so he doesn't pitch forward and take a nose-dive off the shelf.

Now, I DO wish the RPMs were diecast, 'cause I'm used to hot-wheels style cars being so, and in the the case of the RPMs it wouldn't hurt the toy at all, just make it mostly step-on-proof.

But for normal TFs, HELL NO.

Edit-
    Oh yeah, the Titaniums. My carefully constructed mental block had kept that monstrosity from my mind. I own a few of them, and in EVERY case, had they NOT been made of "titanium" :rolleyes2  they would have been 300% toys.

D/L

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never understood the fixation people have with die cast. For most G1 figures, the only parts that had it were support areas like spines, waists, feet etc.

Most modern day figures that have die cast for the sake of die cast are horrible. Look at 20th (MP) Anniversary Prime, most Binaltechs, Titanium, and MP Voltron.

7. Optimus Sledge

I won't agree that MP Prime is horrible, but I will conceed that I'd have enjoyed him even more without the diecast. Same goes for my Soul of Chogokin Daimos, and him and MP Prime are probably my two favorite transforming toys.

Oh, and paint chips off diecast. That's annoying.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely not interested in more die-cast. It's a "lost art" for a reason.

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If it's a well built toy (unlike Titaniums) then I'm game...if not then stick to plastic...

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    paint chipping, lack of balance in poses, etc. no thanks

11. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

i like a mixture of both diecast and plastic. mp prime rules and i resent the comment made about him being crappy. just think if he was all plastic, now that would have been crappy.

anywho, i would not pay double for a figure with diecast, but i wouldnt mind paying a little more. and yes, the titaniums did suck.

12. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Hmm, Bandai's Chogokins will beg to differ.

If you want a toy, plastic and parts molded in a few colours is all you need.
    If you want a realistic model, die-cast and stellar paintjobs are a must.
    Binaltechs and Masterpiece Convoy were designed as MODELS.
    Models represent closely the original object.
    So are fictional huge robots that transform to cars made of metal or plastic?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cybasterªº*Ó¤HªÅ¶¡ - GX-13 Â_ªÅ§Ú ¤À¨É - Powered by Discuz!

13. Optimus Sledge

I disagree with your opinion. Chogokins still suffer from paint chipping. They also haven't found a way to make diecast weigh less.

14. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    That's because they are not meant to be played around too much.
    They serve their purpose much better as a static display piece with articulation.
    If you want to play with them, then perhaps you are looking for a toy, not a model.

Die-cast is heavy because the fictional robots they represent usually aren't made of packing foam.

A die-cast robot model (within engineering and manufacturing limitations)
    is a reasonably well-conceived model.

Similarly, a die-cast model of a balloon would be a poor choice of materials.

Models are meant for static display, thus the high price and high quality paint job (usually).

15. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    I voted "no" due to the same reasons. The only new Transformer to pull it off has been Alternity Prime. I have no issues at all with the die cast in that one and that one only. Everything else has suffered in some way.

16. Optimus Sledge

Could you perhaps clarify where you stand on this issue? You seem to have moved from "Bandai have used it well" to "stuff with diecast in aren't really toys."

17. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want as much die cast as possible in my chogokin collection, but tfs.......no thank you.

18. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I love die-cast, but tha quality of toys like titanium and the price make me think of it a real lost art.

19. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sledge, I believe what he is trying to say is that there are two different perceptions when it comes to chogokin collection and tf collection. Based on what I have heard from other forums, chogkin and godaikin (or other chogokin fasion figures) players only complain when there is a lack of die-cast content. Most of those figures are quite expensive (my mazinkaiser costs me $600) so we sort of justify the price based on the die-cast. More die-cast, more awesomeness... My chogokin mazinger is heavy as well but yet has a lot of articulation and awesomeness. The die cast only enhances the figure.

Die-cast is somewhat more mature on those japanese figure. Most of the bandai stuffs are quite good in term of paint and articulation.

Tf wise, die cast is horrifying. My first and last titanium is menasor and it is quite floopy...

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually like the weight die cast adds and I see it as a bonus rather then a hindrance as it makes it feel more solid.

I like how its been done with the alternity line with most of the die cast being internal and none of it rubs up against anything so theirs little risk of scratching and I still have that weight I like so much