How important is being liked in the workplace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, May 19, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

This is something I thought about

Exactly how important do you feel being well liked is in terms of succeeding at work?

I think depending on the industry it's VERY important.I mean baring the obvious of the person JUST not doing his/her job.If a person is liked the manager will be more likely to overlook the small things.But if the manager DOESN'T like you,then he/she'd DEFINATELY use those small things as an excuse to terminate your employment

I have personal experience with this

Back when I was 17 I worked for Chuck E Cheese Restaurant.When I was terminated the GM said I've been a problem for a year.Now that I think about it how come I wasn't told about these problems beforehand.I mean obviously if I don't know I can't fix the problem

A more recent experience was at McDs.The GM didn't like me too much.And "coincidently" all the people she did like & joked around with got moved up quicker. Me I asked NUMEROUS times to be cross trained in other areas.But was ignored:redface2: 

This leads me to believe that being a well liked employee can be a VERY important factor in workplace success.

After all they do say that most of the time someone's fired it tends to be more for personal reasons rather then professional ones.Hence why I'm gonna try my best to be a well liked employee at my new job

What do you guys think on this?

2. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Assuming you have a job in which you interact with people on a regular basis, its very important, especially if there is no way to quantify your contributions to the company. In times of trouble, you'll want people to cover your back, or be willing to overlook your failures. And when the time comes for you to leave, you'll want people to say nice things. I have a friend who had horrible social skills. Not that he was a prick, just really annoying to be around. No one would ever want to deal with him, and he never corrected his errors. For years he could only get a job if they didn't check his references (and he remains largely clueless about the bad will left in his wake).

The main thing is to approach others with openness and humility. I know I've gotten out of trouble at work because I readily admitted when I screwed up, and never tried to dodge the blame (even in one case when there were others who deserved to share in it).

As a teacher, I see the same phenomena with students. Two students can do the same thing and will be treated differently largely because of how good their social skills are. It's not a question of favoritism - its how do they present themselves in a potential conflict. The more arrogant they are, the harder they will be smacked down. Its a fact of life that will never change.

And never for get the thirty third rule of acquisition:

It never hurts to suck up to the boss.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    At my job I don’t think this blowing my own horn to much considering I’m early every day, haven’t called in sick for over 3 years and keep my work area cleaner then any one that worked what’s now my area ever has, among other things. Despite this the bosses don’t like me vary much. Why? Because I’m not an ass kisser. If things are wrong I tell them, if they don’t get fixed I get on there ass until it is (this can take a long time). Thing is my boss doesn’t like to address problems or act to overt them, he would rather just wait until it blows over because it’s easier to do nothing and less the people below him struggle throw the difficulties. I’m the sort of type that has no problem following a leader, I just need a leader to follow and we don’t have one where I work.

I’m sure if I was the ass kisser type they like and reward I wouldn’t get demoted back down every time a new boss comes in and promotes me up a little.

In the end my co-workers like me because I say and do what they only talk about, and the bosses use me to get the work done. So I would say being liked at work really only maters if the right people like you. I’m just not going to kiss ass for it.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Nothing wrong with getting in good with the boss, but Shaun, don't try too hard to fit in. From what you've posted of past job experiences and what not, I get the idea that sometimes you try too hard to be liked. Just be yourself, and like the others said, occasional ass kissing to the boss, in a subtle manner, isn't a bad combination for workplace success.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

At my work, it all depends on who you sleep with. One guy that started a few months after I started became a supervisor after he started dating one of the ladies that works in the HR department. Kinda pissed me off when I got my evaluation from someone that hardly worked with me.

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I'm a hermit, a loner. The type of work I do requires me to interact via IM or E-mail. I rarely see my customers and never interact one-on-one with my peers.

In my case, it's all about monthy satisfaction surveys ;) 

7. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    I was thinking the same thing.

Me I don't give a shit if you like me or not. I came to work not make friends. People like me anyway because I keep it real.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree, just be yourself. It doesn't hurt to make friends in the workplace. You know the job is like a second home.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I third that. It really sound like you're trying so hard that it's ruining your efforts.

Worry about the job, not making friends.

10. Shaun_C

That's what I've always thought too Liokaiser.Again depending on the type of job itself.But if you're going to be somewhere long term.Why not get to know the people you work with.

It's been a habbit in the past,but I've come to terms with it.Trust me,I don't try too hard.It might be the way I express myself on boards.But in person I'm pretty decent,not perfect but decent :D 

In a sense I've always identified with the Lisa Simpson character.With her being an outsider with her peers,DEPSITE being pretty decent if you look past her flaws and get to know her.I'm the same way

Oh and just in case anyone thought otherwise,the only reason for this thread was that watching "The Apprentice" made me think about this.The people who get fired are ALWAYS the ones who give the other team members grief.And the ones who I wanted fired were the ones who I felt had horrid attitudes.Plus what I observed while working for McDonald's,just felt it'd make a decent discussion

11. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

As a manager myself, I've got one fellow at my workplace whom is very likeable and very charismatic. He's fun to joke around with. But, I'm gunning to have him fired because he's an incompetant worker and takes longer breaks than he's alotted.

Most managers who are professional realize who's a hard worker and who's not. Whether they like them or not has NOTHING to do with anything.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    That sounds wrong on so many levels :sly: 

13. Shaun_C

And that's the thing with me,when I was fired in March.The GM remarked positively on my work ethic, dependabilty and how I worked hard.Yet I was still fired,completely unprofessional IMPO.While a fellow worker who's yelled at me and sassed off managers is still there:rolleyes2 

But you're right,professionally speaking if the person's a great worker.Whether you like him/her should NOT factor in the decision.Now if the person's breaking rules/constantly tardy or a pain then yes.Hell if I was a manager,if any employee came up to me and said "Shaun I'd like to step up my training so that I can advance" DAMN straight I'd help that person out if possible

14. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I strongly disagree with this statement.

It's the people who schmooze and butter up the boss who get rewarded. This has been the case almost everywhere I've worked, both in the food service industry through my college years and now in a professional office setting.

Being a bad worker won't get you anywhere.

But... given the choice between promoting two equally-performing workers, I think many supervisors will lean towards the one they are more inclined to like.

Kissing ass, wihtout being obvious about it, is NEVER a bad idea.

15. Deszaras

Deszaras In the next episode...

Why can you not have both? Be good at what you do and have people like you?

I tend to agree with the others that you do try hard at times, Shaun... making friends/getting people to like you shouldn't be a chore.. it should be fun :) 

16. Shaun_C

Agreed,that IMO is the perfect work environment.Both are important.If you don't like what you do eventually performance will suffer.If you like what you do but not the people you work with.Again it makes you uncomfortable & being around people you don't like CAN negatively affect your performance.There were some people at McD's I did not like.I however kept it to myself knowing that I can still be respectful to people in the professional sense.And still did a DAMN GOOD job :cool: 

I never denied it I FULLY admit I'm my harshest critic.Particularly when it comes to professional or social stuff.If anything I'm honest :D 

And you're right it can be fun,I'm friends with some great people at the gym.And they're a good bunch.Just never had the nerve to constantly say "Hey want to [insert fun activity here] sometime".

With people I recently know it was a chore.I told an EX-friend once that I couldn't afford to go out with him as most of my money was in savings for BotCon '05(He wanted me to spend like $100).Although I said he could come over here to hang.He proceeded to lambaste me calling me boring,no fun and he said "I don't know why I bother with you" Suffice to say he didn't last long in my life.I don't take kindly to being sassed

I do hope Pony Corral's a good environment.Then I can get the best of both worlds ;) 

17. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There is atleast one person who everyone talks bad about in the workplace, if you don't know who it is, than you are probably it.

There is only one type of coworker that really drives me crazy. That is the one who purposely avoids work by wandering around and talking to everyone, in effect disrupting everyone else's work. He/she is the one that is lonely and looking for friends. They are not respected because often times they come accross as a know-it-all because they are socially inept and they think that is how you make friends.

Make work your priority, find appropriate times to let loose, don't take your job too seriously, and don't pester people and you will fit in fine.

Not targeting you Shawn, just making a general statement about the social structure of the workplace. I think many people agree.

18. Shaun_C

That's cool,never thought you were funky :D 

That's how I try to be myself.Sometimes I succeed,sometimes I fail,sometimes I succeed and fail at the same time

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, being in something of a supervisor possition, I have been told quite often, be coworkers, my immediate supervisors, and those below me.

My responce has always been, "This is a job, not a popularity contest."

Now that said, just two days ago, the manager 4 levels up the ladder asked me if I was interested in going up to the next level. Some managers will play favorites, but any boss worth his dirt will pay more attention to what employee will do the most for the bottom line.

In the job I am in right now, I have my bosses previous job. I was actually his suprvisor, but he got promoted while I was out on injury. He is also 2 years younger than me, incidentally. Now, in the 3 months I have been doing his job, I have been told by the higher ups, I am doing that job better than they have seen it done in years, and that it just goes to show it can be done.

Now sure this is only supermarket, but I guess I am running on of the best Frozen Food departments in the company. I was told recently that whatever I am doing has increased my department's business by $3000 a week.

Popularity does not factor into the bottom line, and that is how it should be. Besides, you need to be able to be an ass to be a good manager anyways, otherwise people will take advantage of you as a boss.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I interact as little as possible with most of the people outside of my department, they're little more then a list of parasites in my Active Directory who seem to exist for the sole purpose of getting on my nerves.