How have retail stores not put checks in place to stop mass buying yet?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Baffles me that retail outlets are still letting people come in, yank stuff from the back storage room, and then buy the whole case or cases. These are not bulk warehouses, you'd think Target, Walmart, etc. would have figured things out by now seeing as that they essentially get non-stop calls and in-store cries of disappointment of how a figure came out one day and is sold out the next. Who would be responsible? Floor managers? The store manager? I mean, stuff's getting sold out before it even reaches its shelf date. You'd think a store would only have to see so many scalpers buy whole cases or clean the shelves bare before they put some kind of '4 per customer' limit in place. But no...

2. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

For Walmart it would be the home office in Bentonville. They could put a minimum on how many can go through register for one customer, but people would still get around it. Get your maximum, drop off the goods at the car, and start again. Honestly, I doubt any retailer cares. A sale is a sale.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    target is supposed to limit the amount of one single collectable toy that someone can buy, but they don't.

4. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    i've been thinking about this too. Seriously..

You would think one of the "Draws" to going to a retail chain is for the toys.. otherwise, why would stores care to license an exclusive figure for only their chain?

They must recognize that people do come in because of this stuff..

I was thinking.. why can't they put a limit.. like 2 of the same figure to a person unless they have more than 2 children with them? (yea i know.. sorta sounds funny)

I would think it would somehow deter scalpers in some way if they truly enforced it. Sure, scalpers could bring people with them to get items, but that would mean they wouldn't be at ANOTHER store..

It would take a simple software upgrade to beep a warning saying that the person has purchased 1 too many bumblebees. Helps the staff not worry to count items being purchased.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    It wont happen, stores are there to make money not make sure everyone gets only 1 of an item. My walmart is the same way except they leave the cases in the isle and dont even put them on the shelf, before the movie I could find figures everywhere and then after the movie I cant find anything but arm blasters and robot heros. No big deal as movie figs suck anyway

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Well if Target did it, Walmart would end up caring, as Walmart shelves would all be ghost-towns while Target would be known as the better place to go to find TFs, and since Target is on its way up and Walmart is in a downward spiral (thanks to target's success through preying on walmart's weaknesses), Walmart cares about anything Target does to increase customer service and satisfaction right now.

7. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Yea, but they also make money (they hope) from people who come in to buy things like exclusives... they hope you buy other things while you're there.. like

oh.. they have powerade here and i need to stock up.. might as well..

I would think one of the reasons they don't enforce any limits is because people still come searching for stuff regardless of whether or not the item is available..

the more we have to look.. the more visits they get.. so basically, they still win in the end..

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

But then if everyone who goes to a store first to look for TFs and second to buy other stuff at the store while they're there knows there are no TFs, they will stop frequenting the store and the store loses money that way. It's not just about 1 TF unit = x amount of profit, it's about keeping people in the stores.

And personally, if I go into say a Walmart looking for a particular new figure that I know should be out and it's not there I get frustrated at the store and leave without buying anything else (for one, the register line ups aren't worth it without the TF purchase).

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    it will never work...ppl are allowed to buy as many they want of a certain item. Only exceptions are at Cons were they usually have a limit.

10. ranoobu

News Credits:
    You're replying to me right?

I can guarantee you that there are people who still go to every store possible because they can't find a fig they're looking for.even when they can't find anything.

Check out the sightings pages.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    A sale is a sale. They don't care where the money comes from, nor do they care what happens once the product leaves the store. Until some law limits the sale of action figures, the stores won't care. $$$$$ > Customer satisfaction.

I'm off to ebay to try to get Longarm and Dropkick now. Not to mention Meantime and Highscore.

SB
    Cant find Longarm/Dropkick because there are no deluxes, and Meantime/Highscore because Real Gears aren't selling well enough to be restocked

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

I was making the same point as you actually, lol, but yeah some people do that, there was a guy here in TO bragging about how he goes to 120 retail outlets in one day grabbing up every copy of hot items like 08BB. But he's not shopping for anything else, which is what we were both talking about.

13. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

One thing you are forgetting not all Walmarts have a target to compete with. My nearest target (unfortunately) is over 1.5 hours away and yet I have 5 walmarts with 30 to 45 minutes. They can put limits on registers but that will not do any good. The only way to effectively eliminate the problem is by doing a limit similar to cold medicine that contains sudafed where it tracks how many that person has purchased. Now since we are talking about toys and not about making drugs, they will not go through the trouble and expense to do this.

I have a better idea why doesn't Hasbro sell the damn things online. They could regulate right there, but so far none of those are available in the toy shop.

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So what about things like the Wii and PS3, where they limited the purchase numbers, otherwise a scalper would've lined up all night and boughten every one? The retail stores obviously don't always go by the 'a sale is a sale' mentality.

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

That's a good idea, and while they're at it they should start selling to Canada already!

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You're forgetting the price of the item. The most expensive Transformer out there (Ultimate Bee) is around $90. Wii is 3 times that, PS3 is even more.

17. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

You are also talking about items that are locked up and someone must unlock for the customer. Thats why it works for Wii and PS3. You can't just grab 3 of them off the shelf and go. Stores usually have a small volume of game systems to begin but how many deluxes where there when the toys were released? I bet some stores had over 200 deluxes easy.

18. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just noticed at target it they had a sign posted in the TF section saying that employees can't go in the back and check stock on "collectible toys".

19. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Stores don't get 2 dozen calls a day about Transformers being instock like they did for the Wii or PS3.

Also, rule of thumb. Retail stores don't care about toys until October through December. The rest of the year, the toys department may as well not exist in most executives eyes.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    But scalpers still got tons of them, by having friends line up at other stores. they'd hit every store in an area. one ebay seller had an auction with a photo of 30 PS3s. of course... they didnt sell. PS3s were and are plentiful.