How Hasbro can fix everything

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Orodruin, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    (Credit for this idea goes to Stephen Schleicher of Major Spoiler, as described on this week's FourCast episode.)

We know Hasbro isn't fond of third parties using their IPs. We also know they can't compete directly due to how they have to target their product at mass retail.

So how can they make official products that rival or exceed third party attempts at some characters? Kickstarter.

They know the demand is there. Put up a Kickstarter campaign for a special, non-mass retail figure (let's say a Classics Blitzwing for example) and set the goal and whatever amount is needed to fund design and production. Basic donations would buy one of the figure, higher amounts could buy multiples or add some extra artwork, or whatever. Prices could be comparable to third party releases, so we as the fandom wouldn't balk too much.

The best part is, the figure is pre-funded and only goes forward if the goal is met, so it's very low-risk.

The only downside I can think of is how long the production will take. We know toys can take two years to produce and people may not go for something with that long of a wait.

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Kickstarter would not take kindly to a large, multinational corporation using them to fund special projects. That is way, way outside the intended use of the platform.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Interesting, but I don't see this idea being popular. There are a LOT of people who would want the figure if it was a big name like Blitzwing, and not everybody would be able to donate.

Plus, Hasbro also probably wouldn't be able to produce such a toy anyway. 3rd parties can get away with toys not having to meet safety requirements because they're not mass-produced toys. Furthermore, I highly doubt Hasbro would be willing to create an entirely new mold for a figure even if the fandom could produce that kind of money, because that would require sinking money into the development teams to design a limited run figure that is effectively limited by the budget provided by the fandom and would take about a year from start to finish in development, which is a year and a team taken away from designing new figures for mass release, which is probably going to make more on return profit than the kickstarter figure ever could (unless it was repainted, but if it's a popular character like Blitzwing, repaint options aside from e-Hobby Overcharge don't look good).

Plus, 3rd parties aren't ALL that bad for Hasbro. God knows how many ROTF Superion sets were sold thanks to the Crossfire upgrade kit from FP, which turned a mediocre combiner into something actually decent, and the same can be said of the Bruticus sets when people learned that Crossfire set was coming out (although FP did replace 2/5ths of the set).

Hasbro has put forth its stance on 3rd party products more than ever with the ban of such things from BotCon this year, and naturally they don't like other people using their IP (*cough*iGear*cough*), but Hasbro already does a lot for the Fandom considering how much of a fanwank Generations and RtS ended up being, so it's insane to think they can use all the popular characters before the third parties can. There's just too many characters that fans want and Hasbro just can't sink the costs of development and capital into complicated figures like triplechangers when they have the current line like Prime going.

4. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Yeah, Hasbro would never go for that. To begin with they cant outsource ideas, and they would have to give credit (and therefore payment) to Stephen Schleicher. It is a good idea and they could do it without Kickstarter but they're just not collector focused enough to be willing to take a chance on something new like this.

5. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

Yep, things are the way they are for a reason, they won´t change and op pointed the reasons himself, just that the counter measure presented wouldn´t be much effective and even if it could, hasbro doesn´t care for 3rd parties as they try to show when the subject comes.

3rd parties, in a way, support then doing the stuff they deem too risky to work on. Even if there is a chance to profit, chance is not enough when they have more safe selling products and they do have a lot more with each new series.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i know it would probably upset some members to find it out, but i would really be curious to see if one of the third party's actually showed their profit margin after design makreting and manufacturing of a figure (preferably a recent release) just so we could get an idea.

i know there are some who have stated these figures are low for the smaller groups but i would still like to see them.

7. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

hmm why would anyone be upset with that?

As far as what third paries make, I don´t think they earn little, for small companies. Small companies doesn´t have the same structure to support as a big company so they can manage with what they profit, it is a lot for them, but for a huge company, it is nothing really.

I imagine that in the long run, a tf prime deluxe figure by retail prices gives hasbro many times what ia 100 usd figures earns to 3rd party company.

At least, that is what I think.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The situation is a lot more complicated than "It's too expensive for Hasbro to make toys like the 3rd party stuff"

9. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    nothing but a pipe dream

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    some might be upset knowing the paid X and actually seeing how much of that price is profit. also part of the cost most forget about is import cost, i forgot to mention that one which sometimes is a huge difference for local retailers)

and compared to a hasbro profit yes a 3rd party is pretty small, but i would still find it interesting to see the numbers

Aernaroth is correct, far more to it than that

11. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Besides going against the intent of Kickstarter: Design is part of the project cost. It would be asking people to commit to a project that wouldn't be past the rough sketch stage if at all. It's hard enough to get people to commit to buy based on a render or even a prototype.

Regardless, the project would still come from Hasbro or TT, and as such there's more costs involved like safety testing, trademark research, patent, etc. that third parties don't have to deal with. After all that, there would probably be some exec monkey that thinks they could kick the price up even higher just because.

I think they just need to take a good look at the market and see if there's a way to offer stuff outside of the normal brick and mortar channels so that they're not tied to the whims or poor logic of Walmart and TRU. Just because MattyCollector sucks and HTS sucks doesn't mean that it can't be done. If the market just isn't there, then they're not losing much to third parties anyway.

12. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

I see, well in my case I don´t mind, if they don´t profit good they won´t stay alive in business, after all, just to survive without major growth, contant re investment on your business is needed and even if the core profit is huge, good for then, makes them more motivated I guess.

For me, I just care if I can pay for something and if said thing is worth (to my personal value) the amount it is priced. If I buy an expensive iten, I assume the work put into it was good enough so I am truly glad if the guys get fat rich at my expenses, price of satisfaction maybe :) 

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll acknowledge first that yeah, this won't happen. But I'll defend the idea.

I don't see how that's relevant. Everyone is already limited by their purchasing power, whether it's a $5 bot shot or a $250 MP Sunstorm.

You seem to have missed the point. The minimum donation/project goal is an amount sufficient to fully fund development. The fandom has shown repeatedly that is can indeed fork out for these things; just look at the Hercules mega-thread. Also, this wouldn't be a mass release figure, and since it won't be available in stores to children, it may not need to pass the same strict safety tests.

Granted, but I'm just thinking about stand-alone figures here. And I don't think that little sales boost is going to make Hasbro turn a blind eye all by itself.

Again, all the development costs would be pre-paid by the fundraising campaign. The idea is the same as MP-10- take the idea of Faith Leader, but do it better and officially.

No they wouldn't. Using Kickstarter for something isn't an idea they'd have to give credit to anyone for, just pay the relevant fees. But you're right, they wouldn't do it. I just think they could.

All of which would be made clear up front. And production wouldn't go forward without full funding, so it's low-risk to the company. I looked at Kickstarter's terms, and while it's certainly intended for independent producers, I didn't see anything saying a large corporation couldn't use it. Hell, Hasbro could even just mimmick the system on their own.

I'm pretty sure they keep files on all the names they have trademarked already; I don't think that's a just argument to say cost would go up. And at any rate, that would be factored in before hand. And as I said above, as a collector-only item it may be exempt from a large amount of safety testing.

I think this method could be a way to do that.