How Hasbro can do combiners properly.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, May 2, 2012.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hasbro hardly ever does combiners anymore because of the whole thing with the problems surrounding distribution, engineering, etc.

However, I think the perfect way to make combiners would be this: all of them from now on are made as giftsets.

Now, I know what you are thinking. If they are the size of FOC Bruticus, they'd be huge! Now, I'm not expecting Hasbro to start handing us combiners of that size every second, so I propose something new.

A brand new size class for combiners. The combiners would all be designed as one big set, and be packaged in robot mode. They'd cost about $40, and be comprised of smaller toys, about Legion or Commander size. Now they would be small, but they would be marketed as a Cyberverse class. That way, we get combiners, and they are at a reasonable price so kids can buy them too!

What do you guys think?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, no.

Cyberverse-sized combiners aren't that hot. Unless Cyberverse really takes off, I don't see this solving our lack of combiners issue. Fans certainly wouldn't be satisfied.

3. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

How tall is FOC Bruticus? 10 inches?

4. Kaymac

I really liked Movie Legends Devastator, and he worked very well for his size. He was about $40. A lot of other people liked it too. It was a very niche toy, but I could barely find him anywhere so I assume he was selling.

Hasbro is in a bit of a pinch because if they sell combiner parts separately, there are problems with distribution, scalping of a certain piece, etc. so people can't get the full set. And if they sell them together, they are too expensive!

So if they sell them together at a lower price, it could solve both problems at once. It's not perfect, but it does satiate some people's desires for combiners.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ..Wouldn't be interested. There's no point for me to buy combiners if they're deluxe size in gestalt mode. They'd probably end up looking like power core combiners, which I don't really like.

6. Kaymac

I don't doubt they could sell him as a giftset, he's just a hard sell since he's $80-100 when fully formed. People do not want to pay that much for a toy, even if it is five toys in one.

7. kiko315

kiko315 Well-Known Member

Size-wise, limbs should be deluxe-sized, and torsos should be voyagers or very stocky deluxes. Torsos can't be thin or flimsy deluxes or we'll end up with PCCs again.

Package-wise, they should be packed together, like Superion/Bruticus/Constructicon Maximus. We'll get all sorts of problems if they were individually carded, starting with distribution. One place will get lots of the right limbs, but will have scarcity of the left limbs or torsos. That is not acceptable. That is a very messy situation. Plus the fact that the market also has little kids who are unaware or oblivious to combiners.

That's just my take on it, I don't really know how that will fit in the whole business aspect of producing those toys.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    You want a solution, here is a freaking easy one.

Optimus Prime with trailer sold for $90. MP Optimus is said to be selling at $100. So there is no excuse why they couldn't do a combiner of deluxes at $100 and call it a day. Make it the same run as the MP figures.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Optimus is also an exclusive, and gets to break a lot of rules because it's a promotional item.

Hasbro will not likely devote the production budget for five separate figures towards a giftset release, it's actually less economical for them. A further nail in the coffin if its an exclusive. They won't do new mold exclusives (barring cases where the mold was already created but never released), because they won't make enough money on them.

If they hope to get it out to mass-release, then they tend to find themselves restricted by all sorts of other retailer mandates and loose rules. For example, with some exceptions, action figures over a certain price value are all but required to contain electronic gimmicks (seriously, check out the local toy aisle some time. I'll bet you anything that isn't a building toy, or Star Wars related over $30-40 has at bare minimum a light-up gimmick). $100 is well beyond that threshold. So now, Hasbro has to stick lights or sound-boxes in their Combiner, taking away either production budget, or valuable real-estate away from the smaller figures.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    How about the Movie Optimus? How does that fit in?

Also, 5 deluxes sell for $85, so not sure how a $100 combiner would not work. Even if they had to put in some gimmicks. I mean a light up head or gun would be cool if it was done correctly.

11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    How does what fit in? He cost $40 USD, and had light and sound gimmicks.

Or are you talking about the Movie-edition Masterpiece, that was mass-released? That still had electronics. Two separate instances, in fact. The light-up Matrix, and the light and sound base.

Combiner components usually need as much internal real-estate as they can muster for the sake of their three modes, especially if they're going the modern "no extra parts" route. Something will need to be sacrificed to stick some LED gimmicks in the figure, and inevitably, one of you guys will bitch about it.

Not saying that it can't be done, but it's not as likely, for several factors. Still doesn't address the fact that a much larger development budget is needed for a five figure giftset than a single large $80 figure. Especially since big ticket items rarely see reuse/redeco, so the usual method of recouping costs through re-releases doesn't apply.

12. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

They should just take notes on TFC Hercules. Thats it.

13. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Legends size Devastator worked for me. If it werent' such a hunchback it would have really towered over anything else legends/cyberverse size. I could get on board with Cyberverse scale combiners. Though $20 for a PCC gift set isn't so bad either. Hell just keep doing PCCs but swap the auto transform gimick in the limbs for legends scale transforming.

On top of that start releasing some voyager scale citybots.

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Take notes on a toy that they'd never be able to release. Gotcha.

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Deluxe Body + Scout limbs has always seemed reasonable to me. Taller than your average deluxes or voyager in combined mode, and not too expensive to buy in groups.

Separate hands/feet or too much loose stuff seems to be a no-no for Hasbro, however, so everything would be integrated into the figure. Consider also that FoC Bruticus' limbs can apparently serve as any limb (so if a particular one is too hard to find in stores, you can always buy a double and make up for it for a while)

16. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I pretty much agree with this. They've been doing such a good job with the smaller scale figures recently that I think they should tap into that more with the mainline. I'm glad to see Legion cassettes for Voyager Soundwave in the future; the Deluxe/Scout combiner is a good idea too.

17. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    If they're done well, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The initial release of Legends Devastator sold out really quick. I think i only ever saw him in a store a couple times.

Although, then I remember PCCs...

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Of course, Hasbro's dropped the Scout class for the time being, so we're back to giftsets again...

19. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i think they need to reassign the supreme class to combiners exclusively like they did in ROTF's toy line...but make them things that actually transform to robots that can combine into a large robot.

the price point would easily fit the combiner gift set...

and stop making crap for supreme toys like that fugly super giant animated optimus or ROTF devastator.

20. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I meant to imply that since they're planning on incorporating Legion figures with Voyagers, they could also incorporate Commander figures with Deluxes.