How has the economy changed your lifestyle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Yes, the economy has changed my lifestyle.

Since the summer of last year I have been pouring money into debt to clean it up as soon as possible, and have sold off a large chunk of my TF collection.

I think my job is safe for now, but I'm not taking any chances.

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I don't believe in such a thing as job security anymore. It's simply too easy for things to change at the drop of a hat. It's great to have a job like I have, but even it isn't secure, I know one day it won't exist anymore and nothing stays the same forever.

Reliance on anything these days...is pretty much a big risk.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Idiot parents who feed their kids the sense of entitlement.

4. Spyro

Spyro Banned

I can't eat as much with this craptastic economy. I'm going to get skinny. I'm losing weight. I've never been fat, I've always been lean, but I'm going to get skinny if things get worse and my family has to cut back on food anymore. Also, prices are going up on things I want! They had went up $3 on Bionicles, and now are going up on Transformers! I want this stupid economy to just get over itself and get better. Obama better fix it fast, cause I'm sick and tired of it. I'm still 13. This economy is about to affect my education. I can't get a good job if this messes with my education. I hope things get better soon.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I feel you!

6. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Just sell stuff. Helps at times...

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been buckling down for what might be coming.

You do realize there's a huge difference between then and now right? One we can't really discuss here, but could say... in PMs.

8. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Really? REALLY? I had no clue :lol . Seriously, my point being this is cyclical in nature. Back then it was "Oh NOES THE GREAT DEPRESSION AGAIN!"....same thing is being said now. It will get better, and it will probably get worse before it gets better. We need to weather the storm, and *hopefully* society in general will come out a bit smarter for the experience and not put ourselves in this situation again - there are whole other ways we can screw up the economy in 20 years.

I could be wrong, sure, but I firmly believe there are very similar issues. I choose to be optimistic as it helps get through the tough times. Like I said, the biggest worry I have as far as economic recovery is inflation. I need to finish reading your pms and I will respond with something more substantial :thumb 

9. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm about as tight as I can be, I guess having a job that depends on the american economy having a kid and getting divorced right now wasn't the winningest combo, I'm gonna sell off all my G1s

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    The wife is planting a victory garden. I look forward to free cherry tomatoes. :D 

11. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hey guys, I make terrible financial decisions and all of a sudden I need $100 to pay this important bill, so I'm selling off these 20 TFs that were just released for a fraction of what I paid for them (full price at retail!).

How I financially responsible?

12. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Very. I mean, that seems to be the way to handle yourself. Because Universe 2.0 is an INVESTMENT.

13. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I work for a defense contractor :wink: 

I've always saved a lot and I spend very little. My wife and I are frugal (aka cheap). I buy most things when they're on sale, except for TF of course. I've been cutting down on buying TFers because I'm happy with my G1 collection, and I don't really like the new lines.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

It hasn't really changed my lifestyle much, since I'm a live-at-home working student for about a year longer. My family has been struggling a little bit, so I usually give them whatever I can along with rent.

I'm nervous about graduating, though. I can't wait to finally finish school and get my own place, but the job market will suck for all of us future grads. I'm really glad I have my foot in the door with the federal government, it's definitely a lot more secure than anywhere else. If I didn't have this, I'd be very stressed out right now about finding work after school.

Also, I've been buying those huge ramen packages for lunches. I never get sick of the stuff, and it's cheap. Good combo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Well, I traded my Mustang for a Challenger that added about 50% to my car payment each month. I've spent close to $2,000 on extras for that car, and haven't cut back on any movies, tv, or games or anything. I have sold some things recently that has helped a lot though.

Any income shortfall we have is because I'm missing work due to an injury, and nothing at all to do with the economy. But since I kick ass at handling our finances we'll be just fine and won't be paying any interest on our credit cards. Just a few more months and another $200 a month will be freed up from bills.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you feel like defense is immune to the slowdown?

I wasn't paying attention back then, on account of being like 11, but wasn't there a huge drop off in defense spending in the early 90s, after Gulf I, and a commiserate drop in jobs?

Hell, I'm military, or will be again in like two months, and I'm worried about Reductions In Force down the road.

17. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

College loans or sometimes finical aid.

18. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Personally I'm not concerned as to a slowdown. Perhaps the industry as a whole is slowing down, but my particular plant and project certainly isn't and won't be for a long time.