How has TF fared against other toy franchises, both now and in the past?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TechnoBot, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TechnoBot

TechnoBot Well-Known Member

I know that TF has a huge fanbase and has consistently sold toys over the years, but I've been curious as to how it compares to other franchises. My general impression is that currently TF is probably only dwarfed by Star Wars and some of the DC and Marvel properties. We know there will be another movie, but can TF be assured of this level of popularity moving foward or are there signs that it may have peaked again?

90s
    I know G2 is considered a failure but did it really perform that poorly? Did it struggle compared to the super hero franchises which were popular at the time and the emergence of Power Rangers? How much of a success was Beast Wars?

80s
    As big as G1 was during the mid 80s, was is ever truly a phenomenon as big as TMNT, Power Rangers and Pokemon were later? Was it comparable to how its peers like Thundercats, He-Man, Real Ghostbusters performed at the time?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, there's also Lego & Barbie to think about, but I think Transformers has done pretty well, and hopefully someone who's not as lazy as I will find some numbers to back it up with. :) 

3. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

No, but then again nothing can be assured of a high level of popularity. Even Barbie isn't near her height of popularity. I would think that the cancellation of various lines/products due to a lack retailer pre-sales is a sure sign that it's on a downward slope, but that's from a very high peak that most properties never reach.

Compared to G1, yes. That's partially due to a lack of a supporting media outside of the comic book. (Not to knock on comics, they just don't have the market saturation of tv and movies.)

Power Rangers was a juggernaut. Everything struggled against Power Rangers for a while.

It may very well have saved the franchise.

As big as TMNT, bigger than Thundercats, He-Man, and Real Ghostbusters (which isn't even in the other franchises' league.) Nothing I've seen has had the market penetration that Pokemon saw at its peak. (Heh, heh, he said "market".) That franchise was the perfect storm of timing and marketing.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    YEah the pokemon was crazy. I worked at a place seeling pkemon cards and that was crazy, both parantes and kids alike. Fun times. But I am forwever burned with knowing to many names in my head....

5. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'd say Transformers at it's peak was way more popular than TMNT at it's peak.

Star Wars> Transformers> Pokemon> TMNT

I'm even reluctant to include TMNT, because I don't recall any crazyness at the same levels as the other three.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The number of toylines (especially action figures) that can tout the level of enduring success Transformers has had can likely be counted on one hand, possibly two.

Transformers is not the oldest toyline still viable on the market, but it's one of them.

Transformers is not currently the most profitable toyline on the market, but it's one of them.

These two details combined make Transformers an extremely successful property. Other toylines will come and go, they'll outsell Transformers and then disappear, but in the long game Transformers will be more profitable overall. We're starting to see other brands that have been able to mimic Transformers' performance, such as Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles, but while both have survived for around 20 years, neither are as popular as Transformers is right now, nor are they as popular as they were at their peak. Even the pokemon juggernaut, which has managed to survive for nearly 15 years, is a shadow of its former self.

Transformers is among the top-tier of merchandising lines, alongside properties such as Barbie, Hot Wheels, Lego, Star Wars, Marvel and DC superheroes, and Disney.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Yes, but I don't think TF will stay a marketing juggernaut. After DOTM's toyline seemed to perform under retailers' expectations, and with a fourth movie coming out that will likely have the same basic character designs, I think TF is heading for a downturn in interest. I don't think TF4 - toyline and movie - will perform as well as either DOTM's box office or ROTF's toy sales. People are just getting tired of buying the same designs over and over - there's one or two years of something different with some Classics on the side, and then, BOOM. Another year (or two) of Movie toys.

I think TF4 is gonna have the same effect on the Movie franchise G2 had on G1. Not to the same extent of nearly killing the series, mind you, but it'll certainly get TF out of the public eye and back to being a thing just for kids and nerds - it'll be like the Beast Wars through Unicron Trilogy years of doing just well enough to meet or exceed expectations, but not selling like hot cakes.

8. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

I dont think it will go anywhere,it has a huge fan base for starters.It may go out of the public eye after the movies have dyed down (if they do) but that doesn't matter.Transformers is here to stay.

9. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Before there was a black Friday, parents were pushed, punched and trampled trying to get their kid a Transformer in the weeks leading up to Christmas '84. I don't recall seeing or hearing this type of craziness surrounding the above mentioned toy lines. Jordans and various game consoles, yes. Pokemon? Never.

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The reason why it was crazy back then was because it was a NEW thing at the time. Now it's just an everyday thing which is quite normal. People can't get THAT exicted every time a new line has apeared.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yes.

I don't know how you missed it. TMNT was freaking huge.

12. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Stop making excuses for franchises that don't shine as bright as G1. You either got it or you don't. I saw more excitement over Tickle me Elmo back in '97 than I did TMNT and Pokemon combined.

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

During the 2000's there were quite a few things that took precedence over TFs, such as Beyblade, B'Daman, and Bionicle for a while. This was probably because the Unicron Trilogy lacked the "push" that later series' got.

14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It's not an excuse at all, it's fact pure and simple. Even the most hardcore G1 fans will tell you this. The thing is that it's not exciting as it used to be is because back then it was a new concept now it's an everday thing. That's a major difference.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think TFs staying power is quite evident:

- even after the 80s cartoon n comic died the toys continued with supporting medium in japan thru late 80s.
    - even as a failure g2 produced substantial amount of toys plus comics early 90. With BW cartoon n toys mid to late 90s.
    - pre movie TF had toys, japan based cartoon n US comics early 00s, pre TF movie. N during that time was popular to generate collector type lines (masterpiece, alternator)
    - thx to TFTM07 we get US based cartoons with TFA n ongoing prime n counting on TF4 we'll have merch to celebrate TFs 30th birthday. Thats double the average tfw poster :lol 

Pokemon n power rangers may have similar longevity but lacks the qualities to have the type of crossover success TF notably with the support of a big successful hollywood movie.

SW is the only peer in terms of movie-tv/comics-toys/merch trifecta. Tmnt too but id argue tf has had bigger shelf presence than tmnt due to hasbro being bigger than playmates.

Barbie n lego may be the longest running but theyre not the type of brands that translate into big screen movie due to lack of storyline tho barbie has those dvd movies. Even lego computer games are dependent on other brands (Star wars for instance).

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Either you are out of your mind, or you are a HUGE Elmo fan.

Or you live in the backwoods miles away from any other people, so you never saw the TMNT and Pokemon frenzies that swept the nation.

17. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I am born in 1987, so I did not witnessed the peak of Transformers for myself. As I was growing up, Transformers was just another toy line. Then December 1994 came, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers premiered in Singapore. It swept the nation away. Bags, books, cards, stationaries, toys, .etc. Every kid in town was talking about it, and every company wanted to cash in on it. It was not just Bandai, we would get random oscure but licensed Power Rangers product from companies we have never heard of before. It was just crazy!!! Those were the good times. Everyone was going Power Rangers this and Power Rangers that. We were speculating who was going to pilot the Titanus, who was the White Ranger, and .etc.

Then 1999 came, and the next juggernaut appeared, Pokemon. This time it was even crazier. With Power Rangers, we could only talk about it with our friends, trade some cards, then go home and play with our toys. With Pokemon? Every kid in town was holding a GameBoy. We could just approach ANY random kid to battle/trade. That was the power of Pokemon. It could create bonds between people whom you have never met before. You could just talk to anyone because we all share something common that is Pokemon.

I really only saw the popularity of Transformers peak during the 2007 movie where everyone was looking for the Deluxe class Bumblebee even the non-fans, but that is about it.

18. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Rather well, I'd assume. I mean it completely smashed He-Man and Thundercats into the ground, and the collapse involving G2 didn't help especially compared to Pokemon and such. I think Beast Wars had a much larger effect on the toys after it ended. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it sold well on release, but I think it only really safe to say the franchise was safe by the time BW had ended.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Power Rangers was HUGE in the 90's. Now, not so much, there are toys but I don't really see any hype for it.

Turtles were insanly huge in the late 80's. Then it died down and dissapeared. Then it returend for the 2003 series and lasted up to a few years ago when it dissapeared again. Now it could come back. Of course 2003 & now won't be as popular as it was in 1986.

Thundercats. Modest hit. Then dissapeared until last year. Probably less of a hit now then it was in the 80's. Doesn't help the cartoon has been off for months now.

GIJoe - Insanly popular in the 80's Then died down stopped for a few years. Started back up but never really got popular again. Movie & 25th anniv were the peaks of the popularity, which really wasn't much outside of Joe collectors.

He-Man Strong hit in the 80s then died down. Had resurgence that lasted a couple of years about a decade ago but too many HeMans & Skeletors killed the line. Line reduced to just a collector's line on the internet.

20. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Don't kid yourself. I didn't live in through the much of the 90's and even I know that Pokemon was insanely massive upon release, beating most of everything that was around at the time in terms of sales.