How Has Hasbro Held The License For Transformers For So Long?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 9, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I was looking at the package of one of my Transformers and on the bottom it said in small print: "Manufactured under license from TOMY Company ltd."

I already knew they were licensed through Takara/Tomy but, something occurred to me.

How has Hasbro held the license to Transformers from Takara/Tomy for so long? Do they have some kind of lifetime contract? How does this deal work?

I love what Hasbro has done with Transformers over the years and I don't want their contract to end. (Just for the record.)

If there's anyone out there who knows please enlighten me. THANKS!!

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Transformers itself is Hasbro's property in the first place, as I recall, or at least jointly owned by Hasbor and Tak/Tom - they wanted to release figures from several of Takara's transforming robot lines in the West, and did it by uniting them under the Transformers banner.

The Tak/Tom licence refers to their agreement with Takara; Takara handle releases in Japan and the East, Hasbro deals with distribution in the West.

Have a bit of a scan of this.

3. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

yeah, Transformers is one of Hasbro's home grown lines, along with GI Joe, the others (Marvel, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc) are licsensed properties.

4. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pay $$$

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Didn't Kenner do the first round of, or were at least involved in the initial release of Beast Wars toys?

Something was up there and I don't remember the whole story.

Right...Here it is:

The major change in direction for Transformers followed organizational changes within Hasbro. Hasbro had recently[citation needed] bought out their rival toy manufacturer, Kenner, and in 1995, they transferred their boys' toy lines from the Hasbro headquarters in Rhode Island to Kenner's Cincinnati, Ohio offices. Kenner was asked to revitalize the brand with new ideas, and that is exactly what they did.

Beast Wars was the first complete reinvention of the Transformers brand, discarding the previous setting/characters/factions to create a new story, set several hundred years in the future. Transformers in the Beast Era are much smaller (often human-sized) and transform into 'fleshy' non-robotic animals. Initially met with outrage by many fans (for a variety of reasons) Beast Wars would eventually become highly regarded, largely due to the exceptional quality of the cartoon series. It is now not unusual for even longtime Generation 1 fans to consider Beast Wars to be their favorite Transformers franchise.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    That, I believe, was shortly after Hasbro had purchased Kenner, and they had a joint logo for a bit. I think Kenner's been wholly subsumed into the collective at this point :) 

And I see you added that bit up above.

7. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

In fact Aaron Archer must've been working at Kenner for a while (5 years), since he mentioned being in the cincinatti office.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Firmly, I suppose.

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering Takara was nearly bankrupt and Tomy doesn't seam that interested in Transformers I think Hasbro's license is secure. Tomy basically gets free money on it

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, he was working on the Batman: TAS line prior, which was a Kenner property at that point (before Mattel took it over).