Customs: How hard is it to sculpt a head?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Torque, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Exactly what the title says-im gonna try to sculpt a custom head, could use some tips, and im curious how hard it is to do, especially given that it has to be on a ball joint in a place with minimal clearance.

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    It's not difficult, it just takes a long time to do. For me, at least. I start from a basic ball and then add on to it, slowly building the details up on top of each other.

I use milliput as my sculpting material. As for tools to sculpt it with, I just use my fingers, a toothpick and an x-acto knife. Once the material is set, though, I switch to a dremel and sandpaper and x-acto knife.

For more geometrically shaped heads, such as something like Botcon Breakdown, I mostly make it out of styrene and sculpt the face out of milliput on top of that.

You might want to draw out the design first and then use it as a reference for when you're sculpting. Or have pics of whatever it is you're basing it off of anyway.

I can't really offer much in the way of technique as it's mostly trial and error.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or summat.

3. Rakhamon

Rakhamon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm mostly just wondering how to get the neckhole the right size and position without it distending or deforming...

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i would personally let the sculpt harden, once fully hard, i'd take a ball bit with the dremel, and make your own hole. try and find a ball bit around the same size of the ball you're working with, a little smaller actually, and just drill out the ball socket until you have a nice fit.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Personally, I usually find an existing head that has a basic shape I'm going for, then resculpt it using my Dremel Stylus, metal files, & fine sandpaper. I use styrene to build up the head and make the actual shapes and parts needed, sand those, then continue layering until it looks good. I use ProCreate professional sculpting putty to fill gaps and round certain parts, then once it's dry, I sand it if needed. You can see some of my head work in my WIP threads for my custom Scourge, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Galvatron, and some of my Combaticons heads (both deluxe and smaller scout sized).

It's really only as hard as you make it. If you think it through, start the head from the inside and work out. In other words, once you have a basic shape, start with the face and eyes/visors, then work out by building up the head/helmet. Then add the smaller/fine details with styrene, scribing panel lines, or using small bits of styrene tubing. As far as making the ball joint fit right, you'll need to either have a head that a ball joint fits perfect on already, or fill in the hole with sculpting putty and allow it to harden. Once it's ready, take a Dremel bit (small engraving) and once you have a hole started (with a regular drill bit), stick this in and start drilling in and hollowing it out a bit. Do this in small amounts and keep checking to see if it will fit. You'll need to hollow it out slowly in a circular motion to allow the ball joint to snap into the hole. It's hard to explain without showing, so hopefully you get the idea.