How hard is it to find Ratbat with ears still intact?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mutt12, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I won an Ebay auction for a Ratbat with the ears still intact for relatively cheaper than he's been going for the past few years. Usually they can go up to $40 and I got it for like twenty something after shipping. Anyways, I look on this dude's other auctions and there seem to be a bunch of Ratbats with ears for sale and looking to be in relatively pristine condition.

Should I be concerned?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Not hard if you're willing to pay. Those damn ears add like $30 to the price it seems.

Gave up and bought an earless one for $15, did'nt have the $50 for an eared one.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
  4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Ratbat's also one of the cassettes that's been KO'd recently, but I think repro ears would be more likely if that many complete Ratbats seems suspicious.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds to me like you have bought a new KO that came out several months ago.

Anytime a seller has a lot of something that has been bootlegged recently in good condition it is likely the fake new version. Likewise with say Ravage and Lazerbeak, which many get in the Soundwave reissue and sell individually.

6. Mega-Zarak

Mega-Zarak Well-Known Member

If you got it from yc-collection then you should be concerned...

7. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Man with all the ko's out there I would worry.

8. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Oh crud. So, does the new KO have a die cast chest piece or is it plastic? Because I got an earless original that I can compare it to.

9. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    It might have die-cast. The Laserbeak and Buzzsaw KOs that came out from the same manufacturer have die-cast parts. If you want a real Ratbat, I'd be glad to buy the KO off of you if you don't want it >_>;

You can either keep it as a great looking display piece, or since you have an original already without the ears, just swap the ears onto that. Either way you'll have a Ratbat with ears.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even if it is the KO, you shouldn't worry. They're pretty high quality. I've got mine, and apart from a few minor (fixable) loose joints, it doesn't feel any different than an official toy. Diecast and TF-quality plastic, sharp molding.

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, there are two or three sellers who have been flooding eBay with KO Ratbats the past few months. One guy sells them in a MOSC two-pack with Frenzy, and acknowledges that they are bootlegs. The other, less scrupulous one (yc-collection, mentioned by Mega Zarak above) sells mostly loose Ratbats. While he doesn't actually state that they are real vintage G1's, he also conveniently leaves out the fact that they are KO's. I almost bought one myself a while back, till I saw how darn MANY of them he had... and, like you, got suspicious.

But don't worry... the important thing is that you didn't pay full vintage price for it. Twenty bucks for a good-quality KO (which by all accounts these are... die-cast and all) isn't so bad. If you had spent, say, seventy bucks for it (which is about what mint vintage Ratbats seem to go for... eep!) then that would be a real tragedy.

And like Chaos Convoy said, you could just take the ears from the KO and attach them to your original. Then you have a MOSTLY original Ratbat (though if you ever sell it, make sure you mention that it has repro ears).

Incidentally, I recently mailed Alyosha's customs, the supplier of the Ratbat ears, and asked about the repro set he sells (I have an earless Ratbat coming in the mail that needs some love, too). He said the mold had been used so many times that it was pretty much shot. He plans to make a new one, but it might be a bit of a wait. Just FYI.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ratbats ears are the new bees knees.

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a KO Batrat.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a original one with one ear that I got a few years ago at Botcon.
    Thinking of getting a KO so I can get two ears.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmm, I didn't realize that this was such an issue. definitely one of the issues with all of the ko's is when they're sold loose, and tell-tale signs on boxes don't immediately give them away. I think I got a loose one without weapons maybe 4 years ago for around $30. I then mistakenly bought the silver weapons thinking they were the gold ones for about $15, and then picked up a gold set for around $20. still haven't gotten around to selling the silver ones yet.

16. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    it is obvious that yc-collections is lying about what he has. This is too bad and someone like that should be reported. Everything he has is KO stuff, all done by the same guys. All the extra parts that are from figures that have not been released yet are also done by the same guys as are all the sticker sheets.

This is the reason for KO awareness. This type of beheivour really pisses me off.

Spencer.

17. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Very much agreed. Furthering public awareness, this guy as well as others such as linama (spelling?) on eBay, need to be publicly outed. It's happened a little here, but that doesn't begin to reach the vastness of collectors across the internet. Maybe www.kotransformers.com could have an entire section advertising regular sellers of KO items on it, including those scrupulous and unscrupulous. :inquisiti  Or, an outright flaming could work too.

18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed too.

I messaged yc-collection on ebay about 6 months ago asking him if his sticker sheets were vintage and that he should identify whether they are fake/remakes or not. He just responded with "don't even ask don't message me again"

19. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Yes you bought a KO for sure. That is all YC-collectables sells. Nearly bought from them as well, until I recognized how many other KO products they sell. Realized all the items were KO. You should report them on E-bay for passing off fake KO items as genuine G1 vintage items. You might get your money back. But for $20 it probably isn't worth it.

20. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

I recently got a vintage ratbat from a lot, it has alot of paint wear and of course.... missing an ear. Still, knowing it's a vintage and not a KO one makes me feel much better.