How good are the Roadbots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rid, Feb 24, 2007.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Anybody here bought the Roadbot line? How are they in terms of transformations? Are they decent looking in robot modes? I know the cars are nice but the pictures of the bots don't really appeal to me. For the sake of comparaison, let me say that I think the Alternators line has great car modes but robot modes just don't look good to me.

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I want some of those 1/32 scale ones. Particularly the white SUV. He'd make a great Classics Brawn custom.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Then you won't like the Roadbots.

4. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought 1 of each size class Roadbot, & I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised...The plastic quality is not quite the same level of the alternators, But WAY better then your average knock-off figure you'd get from walgreens.

They also have transformations that remind me of G1 Metroplex....There are a bunch of twists & turns to get them into vehicle mode, but transforming only gets you 3/4 of the way... there are a BUNCH of detachable pieces that have to be reattached at the end. for example I have the 1:18 Hummer. to start the transform from Truck to robot you have to remove:

The Engine
    The Rear Bumper
    The Roof & Rear Hatch
    The Rear Doors & Running Boards
    Some cargo, & a bar underneath.

All of the pieces on the 1:18 & 1:12 figures seem to have a place in the robot & vehicle mode. There are extra pieces in both modes in the 1:32.

Despite those faults, I think they are great figures...the 1:12 Mitsubishi is HUGE!!!! Bigger than Primus & Supreme Starscream If I recall...

I'll be picking up more of them for sure.....

5. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What he said.

If you think the robot modes in Alternators aren't that great, you're going to despise the Roadbots in bot mode. Alt mode is what they do best. The sound gimmick is actually implimented pretty well. Bot mode is pretty much a bonus, and there's usually varying amounts of partforming involved. Plastic quality isn't really a concern. It's not up to Alternator grade, but it's eons better than your typical KO.

[​IMG]

I like them, but they're definitely not for everyone.

6. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I saw some of the 1:32 scale ones today (Celica, Pajero and another one) and I wasn't too impressed by them. That being said I must say they're great bang for the buck!

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    The 1/12 Ford GT and the 1/18 Hummer H2 & 1/18 Toyota Land Cruiser have the best robots.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish there wasn't so much part-forming on these. Otherwise I'd get a few.

9. Nostalgia

Nostalgia Noob-bot

Ebay:
    I have the Supra and the Landcruiser. Not as great as the Alts in terms of transformation and plastic quality, but they do have pretty cool light-up weapons.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I really want some of them, but don't have the money or the space to start buying them.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have 3 of the 1:18 ones... the Lamborghini, the Landcruiser and the Hummer.

It's true... the quality is actually very good. Full cabin detail on most of them, rubber tires, engine detailing, all the doors open, etc... nice plastic. And of course, they also have some electronic sound and light gimmicks that manage to not be obtrusive, and instead, are kind of cool. Maybe not quite as good as Alternators in terms of overall quality and crisp detailing, but nothing about them says "knock-off" either. These are a toy line in their own right.

The parts-forming aspect really bugs me, though others are more accepting. The Landcruiser is my favourite, and involves almost no parts-forming. His back hatch is and spare tire are the only parts that come off, and they become his shield and sword respectively. He's also the more simplified of the batch (no cabin detail) but I think it works well for the figure... he feels good in your hands. I'm planning on doing some modding on mine to make into a Grimlock homage... it really fits the mold.

The Hummer also has a lot of parts-forming, and the robot's torso is waaaay too long for his legs. I think a lot of the parts however could be modded slightly so they don't have to be removed in transformation. I'm planning on doing an extensive mod of this figure, because otherwise I quite like it... especially his monstrous GGG-style hammer weapon. :) 

The Lamborghini is my least favourite. I find the parts-forming really obtrusive, and the robot mode feels awkward and poorly proportioned. Despite having decent articulation, he doesn't pose well, because a lot of his kibbly bits get in the way (he's also very broad and flat as a robot). The car mode is sweet though, as all the vehicles modes are.

I have mixed feelings about this line, and yet I'm still kind of fond of them. Part of that is no doubt because I plan on doing some kitbashing, so I see potential in them... but they do have some nice qualities, and I"m planning on buying some more. Thankfully, they're quite inexpensive, considering how much they have going for them.

And of course... don't forget that they're monstrously huge. They make Alternators look like small robot children by comparison. :) 

zmog

12. Armada_MK

Armada_MK Emissary of Primus

News Credits:
    I think there pretty kool, for the price, The lambo is my favorite for right now, when hes in alt mode he holds together solid, nice snaping joints, and rachetted ankles, even the alts never had that option, tires are a hard rubber but still rubber not plastic, And there huge!!! and the lights sound is pretty good, blows away anything hasbro has done for tf as far as sound and lights go, and the lights are fricken bright!! and of course there weapons turn into there engine and other parts and multiple fuction's , and for 14.99 for 1:18 and 29.99 for 1:12 at ages3andup, you cant go wrong, Ive ordered 2 more 1:18 figs(simple because there's no no more 1:12 scale out that i don't have all ready) the red car and the hummer, like i said for the price there fricken sweet

13. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't have any, but they seem like a great deal for the price, considering their size, fairly good quality plastic, and electronics. Too bad there aren't any 1:24 ones, though, would be great for custom Alts