How focused is your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nez Pierce, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    <Short rambling rant>

I was looking through a spreadsheet I have for my TF collection to see if I had to make any updates and wondered, idly, what subline of Transformers was most represented. I've been collecting since '84 and I would have figured (ha!) that I'd have more G1 figures than anything else (taking together the originals, the Hasbro, and the Takara reissues). Not quite the case...top three, by percentage:

Movie 2007: 17.22%
    G1: 16.2%
    Robot Heroes: 9.62%

Energon, Cybertron, Classics, Binaltech/Alternators, and Titaniums (3" variety, only have Scourge in the 6") all weigh in around 5%. No Animated, Animorphs, or Machine Wars, and anywhere from .5% to 3% for the other lines.
    I was surprised there was even this much balance.
    What about y'all?

</Short rambling rant>

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd have to look at my spreadsheet as well. I'm trying to think which Generation I have the most of...I'd assume G1 but I really can't say for sure.

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Other than Alts/BTs I've never really focused on any line, I just kind of buy what I like usually based on character or molds that I like. Although I do have quite an affinity for combiners of all kinds.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My collection isn't very focused at all to be honest. I pick and choose what I like from each line.

For example... with A/E/C stuff I display it all together so I don't buy mulitples of the same character from the different series and just choose the version of the character that I like the best. I only buy multiples of a character if I intend to use them as a different character (ie: I have both Cybertron Ransack and Ransack GTS, but I call Ransack GTS by his Japanese name Gasket) as a way of building up extra troops. I've also started putting the A/E/C Movie Repaints with them (as long as they aren't G1 inspired like Big Daddy and Jolt... than they go with my Classics/Neo G1 shelf.).

I'll be doing something similar with the movie lines for all three movies and considering that I bought close to everything from the first movie the second and third movie versions of recurring characters are going to have to wow me to get me to replace what I already consider the superior version of the character.

Recently, I've started collecting some of the Shattered Glass Autobots and Decepticons and have actually been building more troops by using some of the movie repaints that I think fit. Like Air Raid, Armorhide, Strongarm and Scout Arcee all look like evil versions of themselves.

Anyways, I could go on, but no sense boring you with how I display my collection, but it basically has a lot to do with what I choose to buy. So, really, my collection is all over the place and not very focused at all.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Its focused on the characters I like :lol 
    But yeah....its mostly movie line, since thats when I took up proper collecting.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Movie=Somewhere in the 90% range. Only got really back into collecting at the movie line.
    Classics, G1, BW, Alternators: Filling up the rest all at low percents (a couple from each, with G1 and Classics being at 1 each)

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I tend to focus on updates for G1 so mostly Classics/Universe but also some G1 stuff and Alternators (slowly getting into this one).

8. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    All the good Convoys

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, if there's a particular subline of got more of, odds are it's G1, simply becauase I was collecting it all the time it was in the shops, plus whatever stuff I've picked up since.
    Obviously, though, the percentage will have dropped somewhat over the years as I've got newer stuff (i.e. whatever is in the shops).

I don't really have a focus as such, but while my funds are more limited I'm concentrating more on Classics and Classics-style stuff - things that fit into that kind of aesthetic. I don't have many movie figs, and I don't plan on picking up many Animated ones, as great as they all look. Most of those that I do have/plan to get are ones that I'm bashing one way or another to fit better with Classics.

10. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    My collection is very focussed, but only in the sense that it's very small! Money & space are the issue these days, and the fact I'm pretty fussy. So I now have a few "themes" that largely crossover; Masterpiece, Binaltech, Japanese, well-articulated/detailed.

The exceptions to my rule are the War Within Prime & Megatron titaniums. I like the designs. Rules are meant to be broken n all that ;) 

Net result is, my whole collection stands at a whopping... 13, so I feel a bit of a fraud even posting in this thread :eek: 

11. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Probably mostly movie...actually I have a lot of Prime's too, but when classics 2.0 hits the shelves that's what it'll be. Classics all the way!!

12. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am trying to narrow down my collection by selling some stuff. Basically I got too many non TF toys and for TFs I got too many lines I don't really care for (BM, A/E/C, movie) that I want to get rid of. I do have some characters that I like to get in particular:

Grimlock
    Blitzwing
    Hot Rod
    Seekers
    Megatron

14. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No particular preference. i just buy what i like, a mixture of various lines. (although i have a weakness for japanese release TFs)

15. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

A heavy lean towards toys with more than two modes, although still less than 50%.

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1: 55 figures (will be 56 when Shockwave arrives in the next few days)

MP: 6 figures
    BT: 12 figures
    Classics: 1 figure (Bumblebee kinda works with the BT/MPs)

Everything else: zip... nadda... zilch... zero... nothing.

I wouldn't change my collection for anything. I almost bit with Classics but as G1 gives me the pure nostalgia and the BT/MPs combined are already amazing updates to my favourite era of G1 (seasons 1 and 2) it seems kinda redundant.

Steve.

17. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    I started off with the Movies and all hell broke loose therafter. My collection is all over the place, G1, RiD, A/E/C, Classic, Titanium, Movie, Alternator, Robot Heroes, (TF) Revoltech, KOs...

But my top 2 shelves are always reserved - one for Hot Rod/Rodimus & homages and the other for construction themed TFs, lead by none other than G1 Devvy. :thumb 

18. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

The main focus of my collection are the BT/Alt/KP and MP's that I have, and anything that I think will fit in there. Classics bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Botcon Huffer, the Real Gear MP3 player as Laserbeak, that sort of thing, to round out the season 1 and 2 cast of G1.

Then I've got Classics. A more playable version of the above updated G1.

I've also got a G1 Prime/Megatron collection (maybe 9 or 10 of each from different lines).

And G1 Blaster and Soundwave and various Cassettes collection (missing the combiners, japanese dinos, Rumble (red), Ratbat, Eject).

I've got most of the Robot Heroes to date (G1 of course...noticing a pattern).

Just some select Movie figures (Autobots from the movie plus Landmine and Longarm, and Leader Brawl, Dropkick, Wreckage, Stockade, Barricade) and all the Real Gears except the last wave of repaints (photon whatever and the red phone wave).

Oh, and G1 Dinobots and their WST counterparts.

19. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

g1 and animated

20. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    My collection has pretty much focused on all things merchandise. Right now, focusing primarly on the Movie, but I have tried to find all G1 radios. Still need to hunt down a few more.