How far they've come, Universe Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fiire_dragon_88, Dec 8, 2008.

1. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

First off, I know that people have probably already made threads about this or what not, and I don't know that because unfortunatly I don't have time to read them all ^.^

Anyways, I baught classics ironhide today and I was just mesmerized at the amount of detail and/or enginerring that went into making this toy, well to me it was advanced anyways even if I did transform it in a couple of minutes, and then I started thinking.

transformers have come a long way since the 80s, toy wise that is. I wasn't alive yet but I own and have seen all of the old toys and they were far from complex, but also very fun. Then things started to progress with the japanese series' toys and the G2 repaints and what not. Beast Wars opened up a whole new thing with the ball joints and the detail that went into them, and lets not forget that the past 4 japanese series have all but mastered the art of turning 80 toys into one giant robot. Also to note that the movie toys were extremly complex in how they changed and how they make several parts move simotaniously.

Then I thought back to the classics line and realized that even though their market is always children when it comes to toys, it's almost like they are made for older children or younger adults with how complex they are. It made me realized just how far the toy line has come in 25 years and how much further it can go.

Any thoughts?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I feel that Classics 2.0 took a step back as far as materials used. The figures just seem cheaper in construction. The QC faltered a little too compared to Classics 1.0.

But overall, I'm glad that Classics continued despite these minor setbacks.

3. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Personally I think the Classics/Universe line was made more for us 30 somethings in mind (considering all the G1 homage)... but like any TF toy, anyone will enjoy them.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I notice that too with regards to the materials used, QC standards falling etc. And I like ya, I'm glad it continued. :) 

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I agree with you about the step forward on classics. Its sort of my pet line.
    I have on one set of animated but for some of the figures in universe I've been buying multiples to display. not misb. otherwise just one of all the others available.

Troop builders thus far:
    2x dropshot 2x powerglide 2x ironhide 2x dirge
    2x blades 2x onslaught 4x acid storm 2x fracture
    2x springer 2x prowl 3x sideswipe 2x crankcase
    2x roadbuster 2x sunstreaker 3x galvatron 2x big daddy
    2x ratbat 2x octane 3x treadbolt 2x grindcore

2x breakaway.

Go Universe!!! Woooo!

6. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The classics was a major step forward from Generation 1. One thing I would like to point out is that the Classics Series is actually cheaper than the G1 toys when they were first release (not even accounting for inflation!). For example, Ironhide was about $13 when it first came out in 1984 and it had metal parts. Optimus Prime was about $30. I also think that even though they were brickformers, an incredible amount of engineering was put into them, also accounting for the the die-cast metal. They did not have advanced Computer modeling technologies back then, so it was impressive.

Today the competition among toys is tough and the toys are continually improving. Also the standards of the consumers are increasing, as many members of the board complain on various QC issues and lack or features on some products liek posability.. They were not able to complain 25 years ago. Thus, Hasbro and the other toy companies are constanly trying to improve their products to meet their needs.

7. lastsonofzod

lastsonofzod Kneel before Zod!

Ebay:
    I think the biggest improvement that Transformers have made over the past 25 years would have to be the way that they seem to have actually gotten in touch with what the fans want. That just continues to leave me dumb founded...

I mean seriously, Big Daddy, Ratbat, Crankcase? Its a dream come true for me to be owning figures of this relative obscurity. Its really great how Hasbro seems to have embraced us in modern times.

Engineering is great really, but RATBAT? My God! Here's hoping Hasbro keeps up the good work :D 

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I think that they're among the best transformer toys ever produced. The new moulds [Prowl, Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Octane etc] are phenomenal, combining classic looks with movie technology. Looking forward to getting them all!

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

They're plastic over die-cast sure, but that saves us on the cash. I love this line because I get G1 characters that aren't bricks sitting on the shelf. I can pose them the way I always wanted to. Give them that element of action that the toys always deserved.

And I could care less about Hasbro using cheaper materials anyway, they sit on my shelf, posed. I'm not playing around with these guys like I were 5.

10. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I'm a child of the G1 years. I was the optimum age when TF's came out in 1984 since I was eight or nine. Was able to enjoy the G1 line until after 1987 when I suddenly thought girls and music was more important.

Anyways, the Classics 1.0 & 2.0 are modern lines I can connect the most with. For that, the poseability and the trickier transformations I really enjoy the Classics the absolutely most out of all my collection besides my G1 figures for their nostalgia.

11. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    toys have come a long way in general, period. but somewhere along the line, i see this more in Transformers toys, although they are more posable, the QC has definitely gone down. And I miss die cast =(

12. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I think it's fortunate that technology has advanced at such a rate that the toys can become more complicated. Kids these days are not as underestimated as they were back in the 80's. The result of these two things together is that young kids are given much more complicated toys to play with than those of use that were kids in the 80's and before. This is good for a multitude of reasons beyond just providing them with more enjoyment.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Classics and Classics 2.0 are the lines I have been begging for since the Beast era ended, the only way they could be better is if they used licensed vehicle modes.

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Classics are the type of G1 toys I've waited 25 years to own. My favorite line ever.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It took 25 years, but I finally have Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

MOAR KLASSIKS PUHLEEZE! :thumb 

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Love classics, but no stickers, accessories, and rubber tires kinda make me sad. I'd pay extra for them.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was a little cynical about the Classics line at first ('What's Prime doing with that thing on top of the cab? Why do Starscream's wings have to be moved back so I can move the bloody arms up?), I've come around and now have several with the intention to pick up a ton more. I saw the Classics Prowl on the bottom of the box of my 25th Anniversary Prime and loved the fact that for the first time in twenty years I could separate his damn legs, so I picked him up. I've also picked up Starscream (looks great in robot or jet mode, even with the arm issue, same with Skywarp), Ramjet is awesome, Nemesis Prime is neat and I'm glad that Henkei repainted Hasbro's Classics Megatron in G1 colors so he doesn't look like a stupid Nerf gun. I'm looking forward to Sunstreaker and Ironhide arriving in the mail, and intend to pick up several more (Hot Rod, Sideswipe, Cliffjumper, Thundercracker) along with preordering Ratchet, Inferno, Dirge and Thrust plus Smokescreen's coming up. The posability is a welcome addition, and the tweaks in the look are a nice update without running off the tracks in terms of source material.

Plus, Classics has helped bring about the City Commander and Shadow Commander armor. If only Fansproject would reissue their Cliffjumper custom set, because I'm not about to pay $100-200+ for spare parts.

18. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I love 'em. For mostly the same reasons people have mentioned. The Die-cast thing doesn't bother me. Hell, the Titanium line kind of showed that it's a rough medium to make complex toys with even if there are a few decent figures in the mix.

As a point of perspective, if we had gotten something we all take for granted now, back in 85 (say, Sunstreaker) we'd have had a new favorite (until we broke it at the tender age of 8).

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Overall, I'm happy with Universe 2/Classics 2. I prefer Classics "1" in a few ways, mainly the less complex, more solid transformations. Universe draws more influences from the preceding movie line - nothing wrong with that. Only downers I've had with the line are the recurring sticky paint issues, and the somewhat above-average amount of pop-in (and pop-OUT) rotational joints. ("Sideswipe's arm came off again? Oh, bother." )