How early do they make the episodes before they are released?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by LordShockwave, Mar 6, 2012.

1. LordShockwave

LordShockwave Harold of Power.

News Credits:
    I remember a while back watching an interview based "behind the scenes: Transformers Prime" that was aired like a week before "darkness rising" And it shows the voice actor of ratchet recording the line "and I have grown to need him" which was used in "one shall fall" at almost the end of the season. so how long does it take to make an episode of TF: prime?

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

I think it's about 2-3 months, I could be wrong though.

3. Wingser1

Wingser1 New Member

Yep, about that amount of time. They need to stay current.

4. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    The voice actors were done recording their lines for season two about the same time One Shall Rise aired, its just the animation that takes a shitload of time.

5. doomiscool

doomiscool Decepticon Medium

News Credits:
    Bearing in mind the voice work is done very early in the process. They don't start animating until they've got the voice tracks so they can sync the lip movements.

The basic structure we're taught to follow is:
    Script -> Designs & Storyboards -> Voice Work/Basic Sounds -> Animation -> Effects.

So seeing as it's 3D, they have to rig the models, as well add lighting effects, textures and other effects like laser fire or whatnot, then render it out which can take time. Next they need to check all the exports to make sure Optimus' head doesn't fly off or anything stupid like walking above the ground.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

And this.

From start to finish, everything involved in the production of a single episode could take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, probably.

So my crazy guess is, at this point in the series, they're probably recording dialogue for the first couple episodes of (a proposed) season three/working on the animation for the middle/last chunk of episodes for season two. Based on BotCon (or ComicCon? I can't recall) - it was around the time that Operation: Breakdown aired - the creators said that they were recording lines for episodes 15-16 of season two at that point. So roughly, it appears that whatever stage in season X we're at, they're recording dialogue for roughly the equivalent episode in the following season.

7. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

WOW. I understand that they have to do it this way or it wont be as good as desired, but I do wish that they could keep ppl current on W they are working on.

Like an update service or something. Of course only being very discreet.

Ex: "We are working on ep 14 for season 3, so look out for that in 7-_ months" That way ppl would not be so worried or paranoid on whether were getting certain things or not.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
  9. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on the quality....?

I'd say the day before. (sometimes anyway)

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    But there's negatives to that as well. Nothing in this world is set in stone. They can announce release dates all they want, but if something goes wrong and delays it, that happens. If they were to tell us to "Expect episode X in 7 months", and then we didn't get it exactly in seven months, we'd never hear the end of it. All it takes is Hasbro saying 'no' to something instead of 'yes', or one of the creator's spouses to pass away or a decrease in funding and all of that prepping for "episode X will definitely be out in Y weeks" will be for not.

People will always be paranoid on whether we might get certain things or not. :)