How does Transformers 1 age? (2007)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, May 27, 2010.

?

How does the first film age?

1. Like fine wine

79 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. Like pork left at room temperature

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I watched it on ABC last night, and....wow. Everytime I see it, it gets worse. I see more and more things that could have been changed to make it so much better. Simple things too. My disappointment with it now rivals my disappointment with the starwars prequels. Sorry, but I am going to have to :deadhorse: :horse:  today.

First off, something topical: Why is Megan Fox in the movie? blond computer chick with the super-sexy nose ring and aussie accent is 1 MILLION times hotter than her, and she is a character that was smart and had alot to add. movie would have been much better if she had found out that the decepticons were trying to get Sam and went to find/warn him. Otherwise, why the hell did they even have her and Anthony Anderson in the film?

Second, John Turturro's character should have been replaced by the guy who first tells the sec def about sector seven. he was a much more serious and imposing human presense that the movie was really lacking. It was more believeable that he was in charge, and he should have gotten all the screen time that Turturro got.

The whole police station scene should have been cut.
    The whole backyard scene should have been cut.
    Cut most of the parents and John Turturro scenes
    indian telemarketer should have been cut from the movie.
    Anthony Anderson should have been cut from the movie.
    scene with cellphone transformer should have been cut.

Basically, if you cut out all this crap, the movie isn't so bad. you could have added probably 30 mins worth of quality robot interaction/characterization/development. "but Roy, those parts were entertaining." Oh really? I bet they wouldn't have been as entertaining as MORE ROBOT SCENES.
    hmm, stupid mom or more starscream?
    stupid telemarketer or scorpinok?
    really sterotyped anothony anderson or slightly less stereotyped jazz?

some more questions:
    Why did Barricade's HOLOGRAM driver look at frenzy when frenzy spoke? (the wife caught that one)
    What the hell happened to Barricade in the first place :deadhorse: :horse: :lolol 
    Three seekers in the movie would have been so much better and allowed us to really see more of starscream's personality.
    wow, the decepticons other than megatron were bland and character-less as hell.
    why didn't prime transform and drive away with sam/mik rather than do what he did, which was pretty stupid?
    why didn't bumblebee transform and get away from the humans?
    why did prime insist on swinging around under that bridge like donkey kong?
    I understand why frenzy didn't kill sam, but why not wound/incapacitate him?

then I fell asleep. I am sorry for all the :deadhorse: :horse: , but it was like reopening an old wound and discovering it is infested with maggots. Also, please don't be offended by this post. Even if you like the movie, you have to agree with some of this stuff, right?
    I mean, robot pee? come on man!
    (I actually do laugh at that scene now, but only to keep from crying.)

2. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with almost every single one of those points, except maybe about the seekers, I quite liked the variation in Decepticon alt modes. BUT, the first movie does have a certain magic to it which was lost with ROTF.

Of course the answer to why Prime doesn't transform and drive away with Sam and Mikaela is because that wat Bumblebee wouldn;t need to transform to save them and none of them therefore wouldget captured. Basically it's lazy writing, but I guess we'll have to learn to live with it the way it is!

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I think it has aged well. The story is less of a mess than Revenge of the Fallen and there are scenes wich are awesome, like the arrival to Earth. Bitching about more robot time in the first movie is kinda hard tho, they were still working out the large robots and stuff.

4. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

the things ur complaining about are rediculous...the 1st movie was actually really good....a few things would have made it better but not much of what you suggested..a barricade explanation would have been great a few more lines from cons and bots..prime getting more shots on megs..and you do make a valid point about rachel taylor completely replacing the role of megan fox as the love interest... other than that a lot of what u were saying is tooo nit picky

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

IMO, the first movie is the greatest and I still enjoy watching it.

Sure, there were things that I felt should have be done differently, and I am still wondering what the heck happened to Barricade at the end... I know he was originally going to be killed off by Optimus Prime after he defeated Bonecrusher, but then they said that they were going to save Barricade for the sequel and that never happened for whatever reason only Primus knows. But despite that, I absolutely love watching the first movie... and I sure hope that TF3 will be just as good as the first one.

6. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    It's the same as the 1st time I've watched it. It's no Hollywood masterpiece, just the type of movie people will stop to watch while flipping channels.

7. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I loved the first one, and I still do. It had a heart and a soul, all of which were lost in the mess that was ROTF.

As far as what I would change? There were some things, but...eh. That ship sailed a long time ago. I just enjoy it for what it is now.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    My replies are bolded.

I'm not sure how this quantifies "showing age", so much as "a few developments that don't sit wel with me". I don't see how a movie that was made 3 years ago, and the culture landscape hasn't changed one iota can really "show age"

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Sure, the movie has its flaws, but the whole idea of giant CGI robots on the scale of Transformers was still new in mid-2007, and the plot isn't half-bad even with all the extra stuff in it like the whole, pointless hacker subplot.

If ROTF does anything, it's make the first movie look even better IMO because I honestly know few things that suck worse than ROTF's plot, and that includes the original G1 Duocons.

10. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Lol, it always make me laugh when an obvious non-fan re-watches something they obviously never liked in the first place.
    So stupid.

11. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All your concerns have to do with the humans =.=

Anyways, if you think THIS movie was bad, you obviously haven't watched ROTF :p 

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    ROTF was better than the first one. The first one was boring.

13. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like a fine troll... uh I mean a fine wine.

14. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

As someone who actually really liked the first film, I will have to concede to the fact that it does not stand up to repeat viewings.
    I still really like a lot of the concepts and the robot designs, but the overall plot does not really stand up.

I will say though, the whole complaint of less humans more robots is moronic. These are live action films. Not cartoons. You are always going to have live actors get a good chunk of screen time in a live action film. That's just the way it works.

15. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

Let me put it into perspective for you. It's like a starwars fan who re-watches "phantom menace" or "attack of the clones". We are looking for some kind of closure to our dashed dreams of what could have been a great movie, rather than just, you know, "the plot sucked, but that's okay because the sfx rawked!:drunk " I really wanted the movie to be better, so rewatching it helps me figure out more clearly where it went wrong.
    BTW, "stupid"? Clearly, you missed my multiple :deadhorse: :horse:  as implication/confirmation that the post was meant to be laughed at and not taken so seriously. :dunce 

No , I have not, but I am now tempted to watch it just to see how bad It really is. I do like "death wish 3", so it is proven that I can be entertained by things that massively suck.

damn, ya got me on that one ya ba$****!
    LOL!:duel 

Seriously though, I hope for part three, the studio gets someone involved that will challenge Bay in the making of this movie. He has good ideas and is a decent director, but if you let him off the leash, he's just going to either pee on everything or hump on everything, metaphorically speaking (although, that does kind of make sense litterally too).
    Thanks in general for the good posts. I remember a time when this kind of conversation would reall draw out the trolls.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    though it had alot of editing mistakes, I still feel the "magic" like when I saw Starwars or Never ending story as a child

17. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    I thought it was funny how certain things got edited...

for example:

it's ok to talk about a dog peeing on a robot's foot, but you can't show the actual stream of pee

It's ok to talk about masturbation on tv, but a dog talking a leak is offensive lol

not to mention all the wide shots that were cropped VERY POORLY - they didn't even try the "pan and scan" approach!

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    One year at a time.

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it ages well and you know what, people will still be talking about it 20 + years from now like Star Wars. My favorite scene in the movie is the Barricade interrogation scene.

20. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I caught it the other day on TV too, and not only I was able to watch it again, but I loved it as much as the other times, even though it was late and I had to get up for school at the following day.

Like, my best spent 2 hours in front of a TV (excluding Doctor Who, of course xD)