How does Prime transform?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

The wheel guards fold around the lower back -they make a kinda inverted-Y red shape, you can see it pretty well on the concept art.

2. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I will say this much, it isnt IMPOSSIBLE to make a movie accurate toy. However the resources to do so are very scarce because..well it would just take to long.

When I saw BoneCrusher transform, you could see that by turning his vehicle mode, he could manipulate the rear axles and wheels to turn into his legs. As for his arms come straight from the inside of his vehicle mode.

As for prime, obviously the arms come from under the hood. However spliting the cab and such would be a very trickey idea, youd might have to sacrafice the insidea seats etc. to get that bulk look.

Anyways my point is, you can do it. It isnt impossible, just do your homework on the movie when it comes out. As a matter a fact I was going to build my own to replicate either prime or BB....it might be bone crusher instead.

3. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

i prefer the voyager class one and it has a more movie accurate paint color than the robovision. i wish they gave it the robovision silver parts and the detail in truck mode onto the normal version witch has more chest detail.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Noone will read this since it's on page two, but here's my thinking for the difference in toys to the movie model.

When the sequel is made, they won't want to make the robots all look completely different. And people won't buy the same toy twice. So they will make a more accurate one for the sequel. At least that's my two cents.

5. bobby_C

Actually, the practical beauty of the CGI designs is that they can change the vehicle shell and keep the robot configuration underneath, much like they do with Bumblebee's two modes, so that if they choose new vehciles there's only really half the transformer to rebuild.

6. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

It makes sense for them to transform in different ways depending on the situation doesn't it?

7. cptpain

cptpain Well-Known Member

if you want to know how the prime toy transforms just search for "leader class prime" on you tube there are at least 3 that will show up if not more.

i have both Leader Prime and Megs.
    Prime is easy after doing it a few times, but Megs is just very awkward. more of twisting and bending and flipping than actually shifting

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

This is the Movie forum, and we're talking about the CGI Prime in the Movie, not the toy.

Depends on how you mean "different ways". By altering which part transforms first, yes, I agree. We've already seen that. Prime's "action tranformation", seen in that clip with Bonecrusher, shows the nose and grill of the truck transforming last, since it was in Prime's best interest to get on his feet as quick as he could.

What was mentioned earlier was that if they "cheated", that entire parts of the robot would move from one part of the vehicle to the other. i.e. Prime's legs coming from the back during one transformation, then magically appearing from the front in another. That sort of thing is a no-no.

I'm still trying to figure out how "real" the transformations are. I remember reading way back when that they wanted it to be as real as possible, that nothing would vanish or change shape or size, that every part would be 100% accounted for in both modes. That was part of the reason for the redesign of the robot modes, as well as the overt complexity of the transformations themselves. I already know for a fact that they're not doing that in the game, at least not for the "action transformations". In that slow-mo clip of Bumblebee in the latest game trailer (where he does that flip-spin-tranform for no reason), you can see the entire rear quarter panel magically appear on his legs as he's transforming, it just grows out of nothing. I really hope they don't do that sort of thing in the film.

9. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Well if a piece of metal can be broken up into a hundred tiny pieces that re-assembles into a wholly different form - well, that's real magic!

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

No, it's simple mechanics if you put a small hyraulic actuator or a small servo on each of those little pieces. Besides, we're talking advanced alien technology. We don't need to know how it works, so long as it works. I just happen to draw the line at whole pieces of metal appearing out of thin air.

11. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I agree its not impossible.

However the time it would take for somthing like this to accur within our line of technologie is far more advanced. We could make a very slow transformation, but that is it.

Besides, so far Ive been able to tell which prt on the TF's come from as amazing as it seems, it may LOOK complex but IE, it really is just a little tomfulry, kind of like magic, but all your getting is parts shifting back into place making it LOOK like its a complex change.

Ive studied really hard how BB transforms and it isnt that hard to notice wheer the aprts come from. Especially since people are wondering how some of the peices come from. Well youd be supprised how much space you can take up in the trunk and undercarage of a car, especially in the door pannels

12. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hopefully we'll get a dvd extra where we'll get a look at each tf transform in isolation, and see exactly what goes where. :) 

13. bobby_C

Well, first, the game does cheat. If you really pay close attention you'll see that the doors and wheels on the back on BB shrink down and new ones appear for his car mode, for example, or that Ops uses the leader toy transformation with the limbs' shapes suddenly changing to reflect the movie bot. That's because it's easier to do morphing and/or shrinking for a game rather than lots of little moving parts. Note it isn't exactly laziness. Moving parts are just expensive to compute in real-time, so the less the better. And when I say expensive, I mean the can't fit-it-all in memory unavoidable kind of expensive.

For the movie bot, you can bet the transformations will be coherent, i.e. the order of the movements may change but the articulations likely won't. that's because rigging such complex models for transformation takes a big amount of time and resources, so that's not the kind of things they're too likely to do twice on the same model. Then again, this is ILM, they're crazy. But I'm pretty sure they keep some coherence.

14. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

Shoot that wold be amazing, but the toy would be huge, actually it wouldn't even be a toy , just a really great replica, are you talking about the head thing which would be impossible?

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    like this: "chee choo choo choo choo"

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

GAWD DAMN IT KA!!!!

I was going to post that -PRICK!

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ha-ha /nelson

18. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone have the pic that was here awhile back that showed the folded robot form crammed inside the truck?

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Wise fwom your gwave

20. numetheus

numetheus Well-Known Member

The only reason Optimus Prime was a box with two legs and two arms in the 80's was a) the technology to produce complex toys for a reasonable amount of money wasn't there, and b) the ability to easily create very complex cartoon models wasn't there either. They tried to keep things as simple as possible.

To an advanced alien race, what is their motivation for keeping extremely large panels and keeping it simple? Their race is sentient, very fluid, and mechanics are alive. Humans build things to be cheap and simple because of OUR limitations. Why would our limitations apply to THEM? Having a sleek, slender form on Cybertron, then going to a box on another planet isn't exactly good for mobility, especially when you are in combat.