how does one get into special effects?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Jun 16, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have a bfa in art, I have a good background in photograpy... do I have to move to hollywood? I can present a good portfolio.

I love watching how films are made and I want in! Does a mfa really matter?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hiro prime has done work in props. i think.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Send me a PM buddy.

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking as a former prop maker, I can say that it's really not what you know it's who you know in movie business. I'm not saying it's impossible, (I got in) only that it's dog eat dog. Depending on what form of effects you want to get into, there's a Union you can join (at a very steep cost) that will help you find work. If that's not your scene, try to find someone who works in the field you want to and see if they'll take you under their wing and show you the ropes. (so to speak.) This is what I did by the way.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun work if you can get it and you can handle an extreme amount of stress as any job you'd take will be on an insane deadline. Take any job, even if it sounds dumb as the more work you can put in your portfolio, the better and the more money you can negotiate for if you're non-union. Experience counts more than a degree as alot of jobs will want to test you (non-union again) to see if you can do the job.

It's a job. A cool job, but a job none the less. They will want to hire someone who will meet thier deadlines without excuses. There are alot of starstruck fans who watch DVD's thinking that it's all stars and fun. Not true, it's hard work that you will find that eats the weak. So bustin' your ass is the best way to impress.

That all said, I wish you good luck as it's quite a trip.

My portfolio includes:

Independent comercial work. (props/molding)
    A private firm. (Prop building)
    TV news station Camera work
    and these movies (all for molding and prop work)
    -Eraser
    -Star Trek First Contact
    -Starship Troopers