How does Cybertron connect with Armada and Energon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dr Kain, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I've been watching Galaxy Force for the last few days (just finished ep 41), and it has been quite enjoyable for the most part. However, there does not seem to be any way this can be connected at all with Armada or Energon, so how did they dub it to be so? I've caught a few episodes, and while the dialog and voices were meh, it seemed to be nearly accurate to GF.

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    The dub managed to avoid the issue until some flashbacks in the last episode.

But Hasbro's tech specs firmly tie the various continuities together, much better than the show I might add.

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

At least in japan, GF didn't have anything to do with Armada and Energon :p 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No but both GF and CYB had that tie-in to G1. So one universe goes G1/G2/BW/BM another goes Arm/Eng/Cyb/G1 or is all one big loop save RID? Also. just about everything seems to tie into TF Universe. Unicron has really messed things up. Now even the Star Wars universe has transforming technology. The Binal Tech/Alts have Light Sabers. (It's only fair) Good thing in our universe, Transformers are just action figures.:lol 

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The first *REAL* connection in the dubbed CYBERTRON series is Episode 32, where Primus mentions how the Autobots defeated Unicron, which they finally destroyed his body and head in Energon.

The black hole is supposed to be caused from Unicron's destruction in Transformers Energon.

6. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

In short: "Cybertron" is an official sequel to "Energon" and "Armada", but it wasn't originally going to be.

My understanding is that "GF"/"Cybertron" was originally meant to be a whole new continuity--the black hole wasn't caused by Unicron, and Cybertron was happily populated by the usual wealth of robots. Hence the extreme discontinuity with Megatron and Starscream. Hasbro pressured those involved to make it a sequel to "Energon" to keep viewers interested, and that's what it became.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Loosely.

8. Airraid

Airraid Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me is the whole Megs to Galvy thing.

Armada: Megatron to Galvatron
    Energon: magically Megatron again and then turns into Galvatron
    Cybertron: again he is Megatron and then turns into Galvatron

It was awesome in G1 when Megs turned into Galvatron (got a whole new body instead of a cheap color scheme) but enough is enough.

BTW, what are the flashbacks of in the last episode? I have seen only the first half of the series (I'm watching it on Cartoon on Demand for free)

9. Dr Kain

How have you seen the last episode to Cybertron? CN stopped at ep 32.

Galaxy Force did that as well in ep 33, but I took it as being Unicron being destroyed by Rodimus using the matrix since he said the god of evil was sealed away thanks to a matrix similar to Prime's in another universe.

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Yet, all 52 episodes can be viewed from Cartoon Network's online webpage for Cybertron.

And, the continuity issues are a result of the new animation studio, and Takara's off handedness in regards to Transformers period (that or Takara was trying to fit Transformers into the Sentai formula of new series/continuity every year).
    Gonzo (apparently with Takara's blessing) set out to make Galaxy Force its own self contained series, but Hasbro wanted a sequel. So they made the dubbers make due

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I understand it, the original intent was for Cybertron to be a continuation of Armada & Energon, but Takara and/or Animation studio Gonzo decided they didn't want to follow in the "lesser" footsteps of the previous two series, and wrote it to be more of its own continuity. Hasbro still wanted it to continue the previous series, so they tried to get the dubbing company to throw in a little bit of stuff to tie the series together (though they miss stuff like "I've never known of two transformers combining before!" :)  )

A lot of this comes out of the toy designs for me. Many of the 'core' characters are there, such as Hot Shot, Jetfire, and Red Alert, who are clearly based on incarnations from previous series (and not G1 homages or common themes like Optimus or Starscream). Megatron has elements stolen from the Armada Unicron design (called "Unicron armor" in the Cybertron dub). I seem to remember the different planets of the Cybertron series had their roots in the worlds created in the Energon series watched over by Alpha Q.

I believe Cybertron was intended to be a continuation, at least from a toy design standpoint. Decisions made about the cartoon series complicated the issue however. That and Hasbro passing it off as a continuation is good enough for me. There's enough seperate universes in TF already.

12. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember if there was only the armada one, but there was a scene at the end of the last episode that showed the kids from armada (and possibly kicker ?) as adults, with a faded image of energon hot shot. I think there may have been more, but that's all I remember seeing

13. Dr Kain

Armada and Energon were absolute garbage, which is why Hasbro should have NEVER let Cybertron have anything to do with them.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I found Armada as a whole, particularly the last 13 episodes, a lot more entertaining than Cybertron. The only thaing that makes Cybertron remotely worthwhile is the English dub by Voicebox, which actually attempts to make it INTERESTING instead of "GYARAKSHI KOMBOI! SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPAH MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODE!" each episode.

Energon, on the other hand, is rubbish.

15. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The way I've heard it is that Energon was supposed to end with Unicron being destroyed and the black hole being created which would have then lead into the plot for Cybertron, but for what ever reason the ending for Energon was changed so that a new sun was created instead. Takara decided to make Galaxy Force a separate universe in order to get past the discrepancy between the two shows but Hasbro decided to go with the original plan and continue with the story that Cybertron is a sequel to Armada/Energon.

16. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    My beef is that Cybertron/Galaxy Force COULD have been a really great sequel by not obviously being a sequel. How? What if, by destroying Unicron, time/space was re-written - Armada and Energon, thus, never happen. Only Megatron and Starscream, both being at the center of this cataclism, remember the universe as it originally was. Hence, they both fight to revert things back to before Unicron's destruction, which they know to be right, versus the Autobots fighting to maintain the status quo.

Not only would it be a more interesting story, it'd also go a long way to making Cybertron's villian really stand out from those of the past.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The second half of Armada was great, particularly the final showdown between Prime and Galvatron. Spectacular fight! Then Galvatron sacrificing himself in the end was an awsome twist.

Energon did have potential. The initial big battles were neat, though they did get old after awhile. Certain episodes were also very good. Shockblast's episode was probably the best out of the entire series. They did a great job at portraying him as a complete psycho. Unfortunately they completely screwed him up afterwards, and Sixshot was nowhere near as good of a character as he was. The other two episodes I like are Ironhide Team, and the special. The special was just so rediculous it was great! Nothing beats seeing Showcat and Demolishor trying to powerlinx, and Unicron doing the Shining Finger.

Cybertron was probably the better show all around, but it definately had it's flaws. The worst of which were the drawn out storyarcs, and nearly every episode ending with Prime having to use his super mode to finish the fight.

I hope to god Takara/Tomy lets Hasbro deal with the shows from now on. I'm tired of Super Robot Transformers. That's what Brave was supposed to be for!

18. Dr Kain

I'm not saying Galaxy Force does not have its issues, becasue it does. I agree, the series could have been cut down to 40-45 episodes without losing a single thread of plot, and having Prime needing to upgrade several times every episode is redundant. Still, GF is the best TF series since BM and in a way, it connects with G1 rather than the Armada crap. Or, you can connect it to the A/E stuff, but I'd rather not.

And the whole Unicron thing in Armada was overrated. They spent 45 episodes talking about him, and when he shows up, he barely does a thing. Galvatron sacrificing himself was pointless since he was brought back later anyway, and the battle barely felt conclusive. At least the ending was not piss poor like Energon's though. Talk about lame.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agee with that. While Galaxy Force/Cybertron does have it's issues, it is one of the better anime versions of TFs to appear in the last couple of years. The biggest problem is that most animes which are aired on TV have to be a certain amount of episodes to be aired... thus you already have to extend the plot longer or you need to or have a bunch of pointless filler.

As far as Prime/Convoy having to "power up" every episode. Well, that's stereo typical anime convention for you. Hero fights and wins, hero starts getting his rear handed to him, hero powers up and destroys opponent with ease. Until the next level of power up (IE: Leobreak & Wing Saber) become available and than the original power up becomes obsolete. I refer to it as DBZism.

As for connecting to G1 or Arm/Ener... well, depends on how you look at it. Personally, I don't care either way as I look at the series as a stand alone and ignore the Hasbro bios (even though they were some of the best bios we've gotten in a long time), because I personally didn't like the fiction that went with Armada and Energon. The toylines (well, Energon anyways) were great to decent, but the fiction had more plot holes than swiss cheese. And connecting it to G1 is a personal pet peeve of mine that I've mentioned in another thread recently and won't bring up again here.

Yes, Unicron, the big bad of the TF Universe (whether you like the giant robot engine of destruction angle or the evil dark entity angle) was turned into a convenient plot device by the wonderful world of anime. He did more in the hour or so of screen time he got in the original TF movie than he did in all of Armada. The only cool thing there is we got the toys.

And I agree that Galvatron sacrificing himself would have been alot better if they hadn't cheapened it by bringing him back in the next series. Hasbro, please, please, please give us a new villain... and a different Prime would be nice too.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually, it's more of a Super Robot thing. In shows like Brave, Gravion or Godannar the hero robot typically fights off lesser drone enemies before the main villain arrives and he supermodes to take them down. Later on, typically in the final episodes, the main villains take to the field themselves and require more firepower in the form of a second super form to bring them down.
    It's something that's passed over to Transformers, although it doesn't work as well in the newer shows since the villains don't power up quite as much (case in point, in RiD there was nothing about Omega Prime's arrival that was reflected in the Predacon side. In Armada at least there was Tidal Wave to counter Jet Optimus). Really though, it's because the villain cast remains static that the Optimus powerups seems redundant. If the older villains all powered up or were superseded - and I mean genuinely replaced with someone much more powerful not merely recolours of one or two - then the dynamic would work better. Look at Masterforce and Victory, the two shows that did it best. God Ginrai was there to counter the two really big threats, Overlord and Black Zarak, who emerged around the same time. Victory Saber was there to counter Liokaiser who never even had a chance to break a sweat fighting the non-powered up Starsaber.

Anyhow, back on topic after that long digression. The link between the shows, I think, was written with episode 39 of Energon in mind as being around the 45th or so episode. My view of the situation is that the Omega Sentinels and the original Cybertron Unicron attack, along with that plot thread about the Energon on Earth, would have been more fully explored in the rest of the episodes, with the Unicron battle's aftermath boiling down into an Optimus VS Galvatron fight. That seems, to me, to be how the show would have handled it. I think that arc was rushed and those elements left out because Hasbro and Takara decided to include the Combiners in the line as a late addition. Remember, we were told at the time they weren't going to happen. I think they were done because the line was selling well enough to support them, but that collectively both companies wanted to have them on the show to sell them.

Regarding the whole Megatron - Galvatron dynamic, didn't Aaron Archer say at a Botcon a couple of years back that he wanted Megatron to stay Megatron through Armada then become Galvatron in Energon (as seen in Micron Densetsu / Super Link) rather than what we got? I recall that's how he planned it all out, but he was overruled by the higher-ups who imposed the Megatron upgrade dynamic.