How does a Transformer see?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutoCon2076, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Hey there. I was just wondering how everyone else here thinks a Transformer sees while in vehicle mode. We know that most, if not all, Cybertronians have at least one optic in robot mode. Yet what about their vehicle modes? I always thought that they would have various kinds of sensors located in different areas that helped relay information - yet I've not really seen this gone into depth anywhere. Here's what I think, but I'd like to know your thoughts on this as well.

Cars, trucks, and motorcycles - Optical relay modules are built into the headlights and/or windows of the vehicle mode. Secondary visual information (more or less wire-frames from crude radar points on the corners of the vehicle) are routed into the primary optical feed, allowing the unit to "see" what is behind them.

Tanks - The target view-finder serves as the primary optical receptor in this mode. Secondary visual information is routed as digital data from various on-board sensor arrays and transfigured into a computer-generated 3d environment of what is around the vehicle.

Jets & helicopters - Their primary optical system is more than likely their radar, with the on-board instruments (altimeter, for example) filling in the rest of the data as a digital picture for them to go off of. Maybe the cockpit provides some sort of obscure 360-degree viewfinder?

Boats & submarines - An amalgamation of the optical sensors found on cars and jets, these vehicles rely on a combination of optic-relay modules as well as the supplementary information provided by an on-board sonar.

I've already come to the conclusion that the tires and "skin" of the vehicle can relay physical information (temperature, texture, etc...), but do headlights serve as eyes? If I were to punch out Runamuck's headlights, taillights, and windows - would be theoretically be blind in car mode (secondary systems such as radar not withstanding)? Let's hear what you've got to say, eh?

~Z

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    For all we know, transformers have sensory devices beyond optical "cameras", though they could be embedded in the locations you suggested, or hell, given how small earth cameras are these days, they could be embedded at key locations along the structure to give 360 degree perception (though this is unlikely given what we know in-fiction). Transformers could also use Infrared detection, echolocation, radar, electromagnetic or resistive sensing, pressure/piezoelectric tactile sensation, or chemical analysis to perceive the world around them. There hasn't been a whole lot said on the matter in-universe.

3. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I imagine they have an array of multi-directional sensors, not just optics on their face.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

^ No. Bad, Voiceroy. Bad.

~Z

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If Action Master Mega had looked like that, I'd have bought him back in the day rather than looking for one now.

7. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

I think Prime was once blinded when something obscured his windshield.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Animated Optimus tried to expalin it, but that little kid couldn't keep his mouth shut.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Could have used Shredder's Foot Cruiser car from TMNT as a stand-in... though that has some custom potential...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
  11. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Transformers meets Cars lol