How does a railgun work? What if there's an obstacle between the gun and the pyramid?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DemonessQ3A, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DemonessQ3A

DemonessQ3A Well-Known Member

In ROTF, Devastator was knocked off pyramid by a railgun on a battleship.
    I want to know:
    (1)How does a railgun work?
    (2)What if there's an obstacle between the gun and the pyramid?

I'm writing a piece of fan-fic based on ROTF, the geography has changed in my work.

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Magnets.

2. It's a movie. Suspension of disbelief is needed.

3. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

1. A rail gun uses magnets to accelerate a projectile at supersonic speeds, with much greater force than a regular bullet. The magnets are set on a rail (the two prongs on the front of the gun we usually see in every design), hence the name.

2. Same thing that would happen to any weapon that uses projectiles, I guess. If the obstruction is strong enough, the projectile gets stopped...

I sugest searching for videos on Rail Guns on YT, you should find plenty of answers there. Hope this helps :) 

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    (1)
    As I understand it, a Railgun used two rails (hence the name) and powerful electromagnets to accelerate a solid slug to what in layman's terms would be, very fucking fast, using the kinetic energy amassed by the slug to do the damage.

"Velocitas Eradico", or in English "Speed Kills".

(2)
    Firing it is really no different to any other gun, the computer finds the target and the sets up the firing solution taking into account wind, drift and other obstacles. Point, click, kaboom!

5. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pretty much this.

6. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

Only thing I know is that it can blow a 100 ft tall robot that is tearing a pyramid apart. The obstacle wouldn't do slag.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any obstacle would alter the flight path of the slug or even stop it depending on what the obstacle is. A stack of newspapers wouldn't do squat, but a decent sized building or a mountain might stop it.

8. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    If anyone wants to know how potentially bad ass these weapons could be watch the movie ERASER. A bit far fetched seeing there is no portable version of this weapon, but it gives you somewhat of an idea of what they could do if there was one.

Messy!

9. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

^ Or just play Halo 4 when it comes out because it has a "railgun", that is basically a one-shot kill type weapon.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The very basics of a rail gun is that electric powered magnets are used to accelerate the projectile instead of a chemical reaction to push the projectile out of the weapon. If not for problems with the gun holding up then the more power you could pump into a rail gun the faster you could fire the projectile.

While a rail gun has so many advantages it also has some huge disadvantages. The amount of electric power you need to fire a rail gun is insanely high for the projectile sizes you would use for weapon systems on something like a battleship. The faster you fire the projectile or fire the weapon too often then the rails and barrel needs repairs.

For a shot like in Dark of the Moon you need a spotter who can provide the exact location of the target which requires a spotter who has something that is tied into the military GPS. The ship also needs a firing computer that can calculate the shot. While the rail gun can shoot amazingly fast the shot has to factor in projectile drop due to gravity and how friction against the air molecules will slow the projectile. The shot would have gone way over a city like Alexandria for the projectile to reach the Great Pyramid.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    But...but how do magnets work? D:

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that obstacles are less an issue for a railgun at large distances than the curvature of the earth. You could still arc a projectile like modern artillery, but it would occur over much larger distances, and there would be less point, since rail guns (at this point) are not focused on delivering an explosive payload, but on destruction through kinetic energy, and it would have decelerated significantly during the "dropping" part of its trajectory.

deus ex clavis.

13. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Yes, because Halo is truly the benchmark for realism.

14. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

^ Did I ever say Halo was real in any way? No, I didn't so don't act like I did... I was just throwing in my two cents and was just mentioning the fact that Halo 4 happens to have a railgun-type weapon in it.

15. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    All this, plus the reason Magnets are used is to ensure little to no friction when the propellant is ignited thus ensuring no drag will occur like a mag-lev train It's pretty much the opposite of a bullet comming out the gun, where some friction is required via rifling, to give a bullet it's spin.

As far as the kinetic energy rounds go, they are basicly large inert bullets that are aimed at a target, then it's dumb/ hope it hits close enough to target. There are plans in the works to create a "space-based" rail gun that would fire a large Tungsten Rod via electromagnetic charge. This is called the Kinetic Strike Weapon, Or KSW

USN Rail Gun Demo

16. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

1. A pair of Charged Electromagnetic rails sends a Slug Downrange
    2. Depending on the obstruction, It could slow the Slug down or the Slug could just Penetrate the Obstruction and continue on to turn Devastator into a pile of Junk.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fun fact; water was photoshopped over the desert landscapes in ROTF so that the US Navy could be reasonably closer to the pyramids in Egypt. Otherwise, I don't think the distances covered by the battleship's railgun would have worked against Devy. XD

18. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    That's basically the same thing used in the second-last Halo: Reach mission, except it's a giant turret that's being attacked.

19. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    If there is an obstacle between a rail gun and it's target, then whatever is launched from the rail gun is going to collide with the obstacle with extreme prejudice.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, "Rods from God" or "Thor's Hammer" were some of the more fun names for that weren't they?