How do your parents feel about your collecting?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Bryan, Jul 29, 2007.

1. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mom doesn't realy care unless I buy huge hauls all at once. My dad thought it was all a waste of money until he saw the movie and now thinks he knows all about Transformers lol, he doesn't realy care anymore but wishes I would stop buying them and spend my money on things like clothes and save my money for my first car (I'm 13).

Anyway I don't give a shit what they think and I just pretend to listen to the occasional comment from my dad. I just can't wait till I get my own house, a job and have more money to blow on finishing off TF lines I never got to finish collecting.

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I am 25 and my parents are cool with it. My Dad passed away about 3 years ago and when I was clearing out his attic (parents are divorced) I found some TF's and some G.I. Joes so those are the grails of my collection. My mom saw how joyed I was when I told her and she really understands my love for them. Now my wife is another story. She thinks that a 25 year old Police Officer should not go to TRU every week looking for toys. One thing my wife thinks is really cool though is that I carry a few TF's in my patrol car for children that I come in contact with on domestics and DHR calls. Right now I have a Barricade, Bumble Bee, Prime Plush toy. oh and a Barbie for the girls in there.

3. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

First, a quick note: Prowl_Delta_31, you rule. Seriously, you're a true credit to the police force. Though I can't help but wonder whether a Barricade toy would give the right image of the police force.

As for my parents, they don't know I'm collecting yet, but they will come Christmas, because I'm definitely putting some TFs on my potential Christmas gift list. Maybe a Starscream of some description to sway my sister over (she's a biy of a Starscream fangirl, though more from his G1 cartoon representation - especially his ghost!). I think they'll take it fairly well, though. After all, my sister's (different sister to the one who likes Starscream) boyfriend is a Transformers fan. I'm not sure if he really collects the toys, but my parents did buy him the 20th anniversary OP for his birthday in whatever year that would have worked out (I have a really poor memory for time), and are thinking about getting him an OP voice changer helmet this Christmas (if he doesn't already have one by then). I told them I'll find the Cullen version if they want to do that, so that might have let slip the nature of my hobby.

If nothing else, however, I'm sure I'll be able to get them to accept my collection if I let my niece and nephew play with some of them whenever they come over.

4. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

My dad took me to buy all my original Transformers when I was a kid and he took me back to the same Toys R Us when I started collecting again to pick up Hasbro Reissue Starscream a few years ago, so I'd say they support it.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    That means alot. We/I do not get to hear things like that to often. Yeah I know Barricade may not be the best choice but I'm kinda afraid to break out my G1 Prowl but then again I do have a reisse Prowl on the way.

6. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    My parents were not quite supportive when I started collecting again some 7 years ago, but figured it was my choice. Wouldn't stop them from commenting every time something new would arrive. After a while they gave up, except for commenting on the obvious problems I'm having with not enough room.

Recently my mother went into collecting Barbies. No she totally understands my collecting. Unfortunately she's all over eBay now too, and needs me to handle it all.

My dad is always a bit enigmatic when it comes to what he really thinks of stuff, but he generally thinks anything that's not one of his main interests is a waste of money. However, he did have me pick up a Leader Movie Prime for him (costs quite a bit more here than in the US). You see, he's into Peterbilts. It was quite funny to see him struggle with it for over an hour, to get it in vehiclemode.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Actually, a few years ago when I still had savings I did something that really topped the whole 'collecting boys toys' thing - I adopted a mustang. :)  And didn't tell them for a year because I didn't want their negativity about it which REALLY pissed them off. Tamed and trained him myself, and I don't regret a minute of it, other than my decision to listen to a so-called 'expert' and move to a farm that ultimately caused his death.

--Moony

8. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I'm married

9. Suture

Suture Medic

I've been pretty lucky for the most part, both of my parents are fairly supportive of my hobby since they pretty much got me into it so many years ago.

When I got back into it around the tail end of Beast Wars, my Dad was the one who bought me my Optimal Optimus for Christmas, it was on Sale at the local KB Toys and he thought I'd like it. My first Japanese Transformers, Super Fire Convoy and Gigatron, were purchased from BBTS with his credit card, only after I gave him the cash I had saved for them. Dad even asked if I had seen and enjoyed the movie when he was in town last.

Mom has bought me several over the years and is consistantly frustrated that they're getting too complex for her to transform in recent years. She's also tends to ask how I remember how to transform them all myself, lol. Mom would even love to see my entire collection setup once, if only we had the room for that!

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    They're cool with it. My mom even got me some TF's last christmas and according to my wife had found a 20 year old TF when my stepdad closed his business...then they lost it. :lol 

I recently found out it might be a genetic thing. Appartently my dad has started collecting different tequilas because of the different bottles and tastes and stuff. I thought it was kinda cool.

11. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

If my parents question me about my collection-related spending my answer is usually "would you rather I spent it on drink & drugs?" and that settles it.
    None of the women I've ever had back at my place were too perturbed by my collection either, makes me different from most other guys they'd met :) 

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My mom thinks it's a little weird that a guy in his late 20's collects transformers, but at the same time she wants my MP-04, so she knows she can't give me any crap about it. Oddly enough, she was the one who got me into transformers when they first came out when I was a little kid and even replaced my OP twice after my little brother kept breakin' him. Now that I think about it, as much as she was into transformers herself way back when, it makes me wonder if she's got a hidden stash somewhere...

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Think mine always looked down on it a little, or thought it was a little wierd. It's hard to hide the excitement when you and your mom/dad is hanging out in a store and you spot a toy you've been looking for. Used to tell them it was worth money and I was going to sell it, but think they figured it out after they noticed my room looked like a 10 yr olds dreamland.
    Plus Im sure they heard all those plastic sounds from me yanking all those twist ties out in the middle of the night after they go to bed.

This was a long time ago before I moved out, now it's the gf I get to annoy with it.

Im 30 and still bee- line for the toyaisle :lol ,
    maybe that is a little strange

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

does she still do the le sigh bit?

im being a ninja,
    smugglin toyz into mah house

15. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    I'm 30 and I've been collecting toys almost all of my life. My mom collects M&M figures, my dad collects motorcycles. Not only do they encourage my habit, but they give me money on holidays to get more (They're afraid to get me any in case I already have them.) If my mom sees bots in a garage sale, she'll pick them up for me, even if she does pick up Power Ranger stuff sometimes.

Then again they live in a different city than I do. The only person who has to deal with my bots is my fiancee. She doesn't mind in the least, although it sometimes seems she's into the hunt more than I am. Have you ever seen a 5'1" 120 lbs. girl hip-check large men in order to grab TFs the day after Thanksgiving? I have and it's not pretty.

16. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Well my parents don't have anything to say about it, and I'm not even sure they know I collect. What I can tell you is that my wife hates it. Every time I get a box from HTS or something I bought on eBay she has a fit. Thankfully she doesn't see the purchases I make in the store. :D 

17. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I know what you mean I'm always like yeah I'll go to the store and get that..............along with a new Transformer.

18. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

My parents are so so with bro's and my collection. My mom is always worried about me spending too much money on our collection. Other than that she is cool with it. My dad this it's very cool. He hasn't commented much about it, but he thought my Alt. Mirage and KP Rodimus were cool in their alt mode. I wonder if he knows that they are robots.... :redface2: 

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    My Mom was a Barbie Collector for many years so she completely understands. My Dad thinks it's cool that I have something that interests me that much that I collect them. He's the same with other things (Not Toys)