How do your parents feel about your collecting?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Bryan, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just wondering after seeing Alphie's thread.

My parents were pretty unsupportive for years. Not dissapproving, exactly, I think it was more that they just didn't get it. Still, all through high school they'd buy me the toys I requested for b-days & Crimmus.

After high school, when I basically bought everything I wanted when I wanted it, they continued to kinda roll their eyes and question it, but never anything more than that.

Nowadays, though, they're completely on-board. I think they just realized that Transformers make me happy, even if they don't get it, and my collecting isn't a symptom of an underlying immaturity or other problem. Long as I'm doing everything else I need to do, they don't mind a weird hobby.

There was one particular moment, when my father (who'd always been pretty wound-up until his heart attack, which really mellowed him out), flat out said, "You know, I'm glad you have something that makes you as happy as they do. I wish I had a hobby like that." That was nice to hear.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, that about sums up my parents attitude. Its a little difficult living at home again, and they see nearly every just how much I buy (which tends to be alot being single and not having to pay rent). Like I have huge pile of loot that I'm hestitant to ship just cause I know when I get they'll be like 'It looks Christmas arrived early' or some shit like that. Though my mom buys Katey Cat Pics and Carnival Glass, while dad collects 45 records so they both have their hobbies...just no as expensive as mine.

3. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

My parents have always been awesome when it comes to me and whatever I'm currently collecting. My mom's a collector herself (not of TF's, but different figurines and such) so she understands the joy in collecting. My dad freaks out when my mom buys expensive things, but pretty much lets me have my fun. He figures, let me learn how to budget my money on my own.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    They hate it. My mom is not too bad with it. I barely talk with my father although I live with him, and have my whole life. But he really doesn't know about it, he has seen me walk in the house with shopping bags with TFs in them, he talks shit. They don't understand, my mom always tells me how when she was young her and her sister had to share a doll and that was the only toy they were allowed to have.

5. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

They don't mind it so much, as long as it's confined to my room or the shed, and that's not where all my moneys going.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    My dad stfu-ed on the day he picked up my Classic Bumblebee and fiddle with it. :D 

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My parents have more or less given up hope on me! LOL! In the past past, they would constantly nag at me...but I guess things changed when my career started being more stable.

8. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

they are ok with it, occasionally joke aboiut it and genuinely do not mind

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Mine are kinda neutral.

My dad and stepmom don't really ask much about it. Nor have they seen it.

My mom and stepdad ask occasionally. My mom has seen my collection.. so she knows its pretty serious. She also saw me almost wet my pants (with excitement) when I unearthed my childhood toys. So she knows I'm into it. She also bought me a cabinet yesterday for $1 (from a yard sale) so I can store more of my stuff!

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My parents have refused to buy me TF's since the start of Armada.
    My mother is constantly telling me to 'grow up', always telling me that its 'incredibly babyish'. Even jokingly saying 'Are you retarded?' (I hope it was joking anyway)

My dad doesnt care, he fiddles with any TF's I leave lying around, and he's quite happy to take me TF shopping.
    He was insistent we go to an advance screening of Transformers.

My sisters just gave up trying to convince me elsewise.
    Eldest sister's boyfriend thinks TF's are pretty nifty
    Other sister's boyfriend saw the movie at the midnight screening and thought it was awesome, and revealed he was a closet-fan, to which my sister rolled her eyes.

In short, I get a fair bit of crap, but I live with it.

11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    My Mom is totally cool with it to the point of going to the last to Botcons with us. She helps me support the habit because it's something for my sons and I to bond with. My Dad, he thinks it's silly, but I still don't spend as much on all of my hobbies put together as he does on his horses, so I don't really care. TFs aren't my only hobby, but they're really the only one I've done much with in a long time. I think that's about to change once I get a new job, though. My g1s are about complete, and there's not that much new stuff I'm dying to get, so I think I'm gonna refocus on our other projects again. I invest in precious metal, Detroit iron.

12. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents have always been cool about it. They still buy me TF stuff when they see it. It helps that my Dad's a Trekkie. He got me a huge lot of old G1 transformers and GI Joes from a friend of his for free. The lot had a bunch of Star Trek ships in it and he kept those (he told me which ones were which, but I still have no idea what was what.)

My dad also tries to make me keep everything MOSC or MISB, but he saw quickly that was a lost battle :lol 

EDIT: I guess it might help to tell my age. I'm 21 and in college as of right now. My parents have always supported me as long as I keep my life on track (ie stay in school, keep a job, and dont spend money I don't have.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My parents are pretty mellow about it. My Dad really can't say anything if he wanted to, he has at model train cars coming in the mail 3-4 times a week.

14. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I guess the main description would be tolerant. They never buy me any, and they've not very subtle about how they want me to sell all of it, but they at least let me keep my collection in my old room. My dad even put up some shelves for me to store all the big toy boxes.

15. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents used to be nonsupporting up until the tail end of Cybertron. I got back into collecting at the beginning of RiD, so it took them a while to come around. My mom would say when we walked into Target, "You can get a small one, like a $10 one." Deluxes were all I was really allowed to get, even if I had the $40 for a Leader or the $25 for an Ultra. But if I was lucky enough to be allowed to get an Ultra, that would be my only Transformer for about two months. *Glares at Cybertron Wing Saber* That was my mom. My dad is a different story.

He says I'm too old for toys. I would come home with a new TF, and he'd ask me if I was 5. I now have a closet full of them, and he knew I wasn't going to give up my hobby. And then on July 2 of this year, things changed. I took my dad to see the movie. He can now name every movie Transformer I have, and he even sits down with them sometimes.

So it's been a rough road, but now they don't care much. As long as I put half of my paycheck in the bank every week, my parents don't care what I spend my money on.

16. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    My parents are pretty neutral about it. The fact is that I come from a long line of collectors. Everyone in my family collects something one way or another. They joke about it being crazy, but then I compare stuff they collect and they are ok with it. When the million dollar auction came around I linked them both to it. To make my point why I stash all the cardboard at their place and not just throw it out.

I'm 24 and have been living on my own since I was 18.

iDD

17. Xplosion

Xplosion Banned

my mom is cool with it but my dad is an @sshole about it, if he sees one lying around hell kick it to the side(destroyed my classics bumblebee) and it not like its his money, mans a cheepsake for christ sakes. i was going out with my friends on friday for the weekend and only gives me a 5 to last 3 days. but i digresss, since i doint get money from my parents and i cant get a job till i kno for sure that im moving i can only get a deluxe if i save money on the side. only bought 3 tfs this year shortround and movie jazz. so yea my dad sucks to put it in a nutshell

18. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

he kicks any transformer he sees! you really need a divorce from your parents, since your dad is a distructive influence xplosion

19. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Well, mine are both dead and have been for years now, but back when I lived at home and G1 was still on the shelves in the 80s, they had no problems getting TFs for me as gifts if that is what I had asked for.

20. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents dident like it until they saw they movie. ;)