How do you value your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TechNoMad, Jan 18, 2010.

1. TechNoMad

TechNoMad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mods, please forgive me if there is already subject matter on this topic

I am going to be selling off parts of my collection in future. I spent weeks on and off cataloguing my collection. I am now trying to determine a fair market value, or even a slightly below fair market value for my collection. I am trying to sell my TF's individually and not in bulk form. I am open to trades.

I am running into problems trying to determine price checks and hitting snags. I have seen threads where members ask for price check on transformers, but I am looking for something more like a blue book type thing. I know it's kinda sad to part with them, but I could use the space, cash, and trades.

Oh yeah, I am new to the boards, and doing threads, thanks for bearing with me.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Alot of people just do an average ebay price if that helps.

3. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I value mine by the pound....
    Just kidding. If you want a fair market value then use ebay as a guide. I can guess what your gonna say next. I cannot find everything that is in my colleciton. Well, decide what you paid for it and determine if it is worth more or maybe less. Some items in my collection I would just have to use my best judgement as some things are one of a kind or rare enough that they do not often come up for sale. If your collection is made up of mostly "common" items you should have a rough guess as to the value of the entire collection. If you are still having problems you can send me a list of the items you are having problems with. I do a lot of trades that can help determine their approximate value. Oh and as you have determined if you have the time you are better off selling it individually than as a collection. LMK if I can help

4. TechNoMad

Ebay:
    Selling by the pound eh? I have some heavy boxes.

Seriously though, I have thought about the eBay thing. But, to be honest I don't really like TF's on eBay, because the prices get incredibly inflated, from high starting prices (in my opinion). Also, selling on eBay scares me more than buying, from horror stories on this website and in general.

I pretty much have american releases, nothing just real exotic. Majority of them come from the last ten years or so. A lot of my G1's are missing peices and in a played-with condition from my childhood.

When i figure out how to PM, I'll get with you. Thanks for the ideas, y'all, keep them coming.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Over on the sidebar on ebay there's a thing that says "Show only: completed listings"
    Use that. Green ones have sold (use those) red ones haven't (ignore them). Then take off a few bucks, figuring you won't be able to get ebay prices without selling on ebay (common sense, but like hell if everyone can understand that)

To PM: Click his name and select "send private message".

General selling tips:
    -Stick within the US. I tried the whole "I'll mail this to you no matter what" and it's only caused problems on my end. It might take longer to sell and you might need to mark down the price more, but it beats "You're asking $10 for X. I'll give you $20 for it shipped express to Australia!" "The absolute best, including a 20% discount on the item is $30 including express shipping." "so you'll take $25? cool!" "I never said that. I said I'll do $30, which includes me giving up 20% of what I'm taking in on the deal to make it happen." "Alright so $25? what's your paypal?" "I'm charging a $5 convenience charge for paypal." "I never agreed to that you n00b go die!"
    -Paypal (or trades) only. You'll end up wasting way too much time with people that are "mailing" payments. I usually give it a week before I ask where the money is, and 9 times out of 10 I get "well I never sent it." Alright, thanks, but that's a week I've had the item listed as "on hold" so nobody could make offers on it.
    -Be prepared to haggle. People are cheap, as per my "keep it in the US" point.
    -Describe everything well. Pictures are a must. If someone asks about something specifically, check it out for them. There's a reason they're asking.
    /ranting via all my bad experiences

6. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Valuing your collection is a very individual choice. Since you are considering selling it or parts of your collection what are you hoping to get from what you sell? Are you hoping to get back what you paid? Are you hoping to earn a little extra scratch? Or do you want to just get rid of somethings and getting at least a little bit of money for it is a win for you?

Your answers to those questions above should help you in valuing your own collection. However, it doesn't hurt to be aware of any figures in your collection you are hoping to get rid of that are actually sought after or highly sought after on the secondary market.

For example, if you have say a Cybertron figure that is not of much value to you but you know from endlessly scouring ebay that it fetches a suprisingly high secondary market price then you may want to consider selling that figure just below that high secondary market price if you really want to assure yourself the opportunity to get rid of the figure with minimal fuss.

Bottom line, the decision is ultimately yours to make. But it really helps your efforts to be aware of what people are willing to pay for any figure so that you don't set any ridiculously high prices on your stuff.

7. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Besides ebay, try transformerland.com. They price their toys like other stores would, with a markup, so knock about 10-15% off of the asking price, in most cases. The best thing about the site, however, is that if you go to their main page and click on the menu to the right, select a figure, then click the $$ link below the figure's picture, it will show you the sales history for that figure. Gives you a good price point once you deduct their markup as well as tells you the appreciation/depreciation a figure has gone through.

I wouldn't recommend this, but sites like that (and BBTS) will also buy entire collections. You won't get much for them but it's an option if you're looking to unload quickly.

You can also look at the sales thread in here to see what people are selling items for. Do it with a few cheap items at first, since most buyers here might be hesitant to buy from a new member with no sales record. Once you have some feedback built up you can start putting the rarer, more expensive items up.

No matter what, just be prepared to take a loss on some items - it's just the way of the world.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Usually, I dont bother trying to make alot off what I sell. This is mostly because my collection isnt made up of "OMG THATZ RAREZ" its made up more of the ones from lines that really appealed to me. Original price plus shipping, unless its something I can actually make a decent profit off of. For example, if by some divine reason I was forced to sell Shokaract, I'd undercut eBay slightly.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

what ever price u come up with, remember that members of the boards get 50% off! Its just the way it is buddy!

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

To be honest, with my sales thread I based my prices on their going prices on BBTS. Even then I wasn't getting interest, so I dropped all my prices by $5 and changed it from "X price shipped" to "X price + shipping" and they started going. I don't get why.

But that was really just for Transformers I was trying to sell off. The non-tf stuff I had were just things I wanted (and still want) to get rid of and get myself a little bit of spending cash in the end, even if I'm only getting a couple bucks from each sale.

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

LOL - Next time, you might as well just suck it up and sell the items on Ebay. When you get down to it, the fees aren't really all that bad considering that you are pretty much getting top dollar without all the BS!

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, wholeheartedly. The eBay and Paypal fees are worth the protection you get from flaky, dishonest, and unreasonable buyers.

I'm so-so on selling in the Junkion... the crazy lowball offers end up being irritating after a while. When I have something listed at what amounts to a reasonable price for a particular toy, say $40 + shipping, it's unlikely I'm willing to do it for $10 shipped. Was it really worth your time sending me that PM, or my time reading it? :lol 

13. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

People really do that here on the JE? I have yet to encounter someone with a seriously lowball offer. I usually try to reach a compromise with them somewhere between my asking price and their desired price because the offer is usually a reasonable one :D .

The best guide for selling your stuff would be to consider if you want to move it out or make a profit. For me personally, I spent money on this stuff awhile ago, so I don't consider it a part of my 'finances'. Anything I make off of it, I consider it a profit, even if it's just $10. Might be worth considering when pricing your stuff too :D 

14. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    go to ebay, look at complete items, not crazy BUY IT NOWS that have been sitting there for months.

Take 5 percent off the competed items, then sell them here. They will sell fast and you will get a fair price.

Sell to people with good feedback here and you will have no issues.
    I find for most stuff its better to sell here.

good luck.

15. TechNoMad

Ebay:
    Hey I wanted to thank you all for your insight. When I was identifying all of them I did use Transformerland and TFU.info, and honestly i could not have done it with out these sites. It looks like I have got my work cut out for me and I plan on getting started ASAP. My motive for selling (not all of them by the way) is to make some space and throw some cash back in to my wallet.

16. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the completed listing thing on eBay. Now i get to obsess over the wild swings in the prices of things I'm looking for.

17. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    My experiences on ebay are just as bad, if not worse. Sold a cell phone that worked before I sent it, but it wouldn't turn on (apparently) when the guy received it. It was either shell out $8 to get the phone back and maybe have it not work OR shell out $8 for the guy to get a new battery. My word against his, seller always loses.

There's just no way to win when you're only selling a few not-incredibly-interesting things.