how do you tell your stories

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by eisen, Jun 30, 2009.

1. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

do you guys have a script planned out or wing it as you go along?

me? i have a collection of plots on paper that i will soon put on file for reference but every now and then i like to insert random, spur-of-the-moment jokes in when i think they're too good to pass up. :D 

so how about you guys? :) 

2. newguy

newguy i

I just make it up as i go along, but i forget some stuff when i upload it on photobucket

3. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

I just make it up...try to remember it, ummm...
    when I'm editing, I just go with what sounds
    right...um, yeah. :D 

4. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    This^

5. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I write a story board with dialogue.

I take the pictures it calls for.

I add the effects which takes the longest.

I add the text then read the update, and flesh it out and edit after.

6. newguy

newguy i

Just put up a new bit for my comic, and forgot a whole conversation. I had some funny stuff in there too. oh well it was all blurry pics.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You really want an insight into my creative process? Okay, but I demanded cookies :D 

It all starts with a Word file on my desktop and if I'm ever doing something and an idea pops into my head, I write it down.

The file is laid out as follows:

1. A short intro to my comic - the sort of thing that would appear in Star-Wars style rolling text if my comic was ever made into a film. It helps me keep an idea of what I want the tone of comic to be, plus it gives some background.

2. A list of all my characters, with their aims, ideas and motivations. Imagine tech specs and you get the idea.

3. A series of full scripts for several episodes, including some that I haven't written yet. All are arranged in order.

4. A section of short ideas/scenes/one-liners/interactions that I want to happen. Examples of what I put in here include:
    'Megatron stands in front of the crowd and they raise their right firsts in salute to him'
    'Blackarachnia says 'Do not forget that I am in command' to Animus'
    'Barricade gets shot in the chest.'
    'BIGGER EXPLOSIONS??'

As a rule of thumb, I follow my scripts fairly closely but I'm always willing to make changes. Case in point, my last update. I meant to have Onslaught posed to look all cool and commando-like, but instead it looked like he was facepalming, and thus BB the incompetent first aider was born :lol 

I'm also limited by what I can do in GIMP, but I find that you've got to try things and practice does make perfect.

8. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what I do, but I do script some things out.

9. eisen

*hands doomboy536 cookies*

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Consider it some of a blessing, since you get to focus more on writing and getting regular updates. Just the page below took me as long as it would have taken to do 2-3 updates including dialogue and photography. It's a trap! :D 

[​IMG]

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think up a story, serious or absurd, then take pictures as I go, caption them and upload them.

Stuff can have impact on how the story goes, but mostly I know what I want to do it what period of time.

Since all my character ARE the Transformers, I try to keep them as close as possible, only more cooky.

12. eisen

whoa. now that's a heck of a lot of dedication dude! :thumb s

13. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I pretty much have a general script and panel look outlined in my head (nothing written down).

14. Nagi-Oki

Nagi-Oki Tracks-O-Phile

Ebay:
    I just look at my cast first. I say to myself, "I feel like using Tracks tonight." or "I haven't used Arcee in a while..." or "I really wanna introduce Silverbolt." or something along those lines. Given the personalities I've given the characters, the story often writes itself.

Or I'll have an idea in mind and I just take the pictures I need and tweek the dialogue as I need to to get it to work.

Very VERY rarely do I ever actually SCRIPT Side B. You can tell because it's so inanely stupid.

15. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I do it two ways. For a storyline i write out the script. For a filler i make random stuff. With no script, just stuff off the top of my head.

16. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a basic storyline planned in my head, but just about everything else is winging it as I go. :D  I plan to kill a character in the next comic or two, and I still don't know how or who will do it. Heck, it may even end up being two characters that bite the dust. It all depends on what I feel like doing when I take the pictures. :ev: 

How I usually do it is I take pictures for what I want to happen, and I don't worry about the dialogue until I go to edit the pictures. Which may be a bad thing as I end up cutting dialogue short because I ran out of room in the frame. :lol 

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    How I come up with my plots? Well, I classify my plots into two sub-types: mini-arcs and Epics.

Developing my mini-arcs: for my short stories, which take less than 5 panels to tell from start to finish, I start with what the actual plot is. I build off of the main focus of the mini-arc and create a start and finish to make the story flow better. Since I just have a general idea on what I want to happen, the actual product will vary as I come up with the figure poses as I go along, ditto for the text.

Developing my Epics: anything that needs more than 5 strips to tell start to finish, as well as having a significant change relative to one or more characters (like if they died) that would impact later strips. These start in the same way my mini-arcs do, but I concentrate on having a concrete idea on every part of the story from start to finish, and no matter what I end up making for the comic panels, the story will always follow the plot points I've planned. An example would be my planned "Innocence Lost" story, which is a very story-heavy comic story and may make some people cry.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

SL:
    This seems to be a popular method around here, and it's what I do too. I try to make the photo setup fit the plot. This doesn't always work well, but sometimes it does.

Tsu's combination sequence in 5.19 went just about how I had it pictured in my head:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/91307-autobus-primes-blurry-robot-theater-76.html

Of course, it's all an excuse to play with toys, isn't it? :D 

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  19. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

I do about the same thing exept its all jokes for me theres no real plot kinda like them funny robots

20. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

Yes