Customs: How do you take paint off of clear plastic without messing up the clear plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I took apart Alternator Rollbar's head today only to realize that his visor is molded in clear plastic with some rather thick gold paint applied to the front, it has all the eye detail and what not molded into the back of it just like swindle, I would like to remove the gold paint, paint the back silver, then paint the front a transparent yellow.

Will normal paint removal cloud up the clear plastic?

While we are at it, can I just thin out some yellow acrylic model paint to make it transparent or would it be better to buy some of that "turn signal" paint?

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Standard Isopropyl rubbing alcohol should take the paint off well and leave the clarity unharmed.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Yup. Rubbing alcohol, will do it. Just rub it off with a paper towel, or a Q-tip, or something.

If you mix your paint with some clear coat. you can make your own transparent paint.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    boy you asked this question at the right time! :lol  I got a tiny bit of silver paint on my downshift's windows... and now I know.. and knowing is half the battle... GI JOE!!!!

Andy

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I also realized there is orange plastic under all that gold paint on his arms...

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That's great. Now stop jumping your bike over that downed power line. (Did kids actually have to be told, things like that were dangerous?)