Customs: How do you store vintage paper inserts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thebigdb, Nov 11, 2018.

1. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey guys…

I thought that I’d ask this question because I doubt that I’m the only 1 that does this… but I wanted some recommendations as to what you guys do to store you vintage G1 sticker sheets & manuals?

Most of my G1 collection where junkers that I put together… but once in a blue moon I’d come across a really nice sticker sheet or manual… & I would put them in a photo album that I had.

I hadn’t touched the binder in a # of years because I was going through cancer & was moving back & forth… but over the last few months I’ve gotten a few sticker sheets/manuals that I was looking for only to find out that some of the instructions (this is happening more with instructions than sticker sheets) are sticking to the page inserts.

I’ve been doing research over the last few days, & people have been telling me to use a product called ‘Un-Du’ that breaks that bond. I’m going to be more careful with the stickers sheets than the instructions, but the chemical compound doesn’t react with paper. So I don’t have to worry about water damage in that sense.

1 of the sales gimmicks for the product is that you can remove a stamp from an envelope, & not ruin either. If it’s able to do that… I have to see how it works on taking old stickers off figures.

To a degree getting everything off the old album pages won’t be a problem… but once I take them off… what do I store them in so I don’t have this problem again? Part of the reason why I put them in an album is that I didn’t want them to get all banged up with people moving things around. Because I didn’t trust leaving them in a box or something.

How do you guys store paperwork of this type? I’m just curious to know.

Thanks guys!

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never heard of that. I'm curious to hear your results. Especially if it works on stickers attached to figures.

As for storage, I have no idea. Sorry.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I store my Instruction Booklets in a binder using collector card pages. I'd recommend storing labels sheets separately from your booklets for the reasons you stated above. Use either the same divider pages, or just full page sheets.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks guys…

I haven’t been on the site is a while & this was the 1st time that I logged in.

What would you recommend for the bigger sticker sheets like Prime & stuff like that? I was looking at photo albums where the backing is made out of a thick construction paper. Maybe that’s not what it is… but that’s what it reminds me of. A lot of the stuff that I’ve been looking at has been in a fixed binder… & not user friendly in the sense if you wanted to move things around that it would allow you. Finding a 3 ring binder is easy… & most of the instructions or some of the sticker sheets easily fit in a generic card holder top loader sheet… but finding something for those bigger sheets can be tricky.

I got some ideas… but do you have any suggestions for some of the bigger stuff? That’s like 5-6 inch in length? I know that they sell larger card holders… but sometimes they don’t fit in either in height or length. You might be able to cover 1 angle… but not the other is my point.

Hey thanks for the help regardless man…

I got a few bottles of it… & as to removing stickers directly off a figure… I’d kinda say that it’s kinda ‘so-so.’ It works… but not as well as it could. I still think that lighter fluid is the best in regards to removing old stickers. Just don’t smoke.:bay 

Chemically I don’t know what’s in it that makes it work. That & the fact that I live in California I’m only able to order their special formula that they strictly produce for my state because of Prop 65 (hazardous chemicals & all that junk). So the chemical compound that they sell to the rest of the world is different than what I can get here in California.

So I don’t know how that chemical differs from what I’ve played with. So you could get different results with it. So I don’t know.

The thing about Un-Du it doesn’t destroy the adhesive… but it does something where it breaks the glue down so it momentarily loses it’s stickiness. Once the compound dries off (which is like 5 mins or so)… it becomes sticky again.

Just to goof with it… I took some tape & encrusted the glue side with dirt… so it was totally covered. I soaked it pretty well with this stiff… & the dirt just fell right off. once it dried off… the tape side that was covered with the grim I’d say was just sticky as it was from when I pulled it off the roll. If that gives you a clue.

1 of their big sell pitches is that you’re able to remove duct tape from toilet paper with this stuff without ripping the paper. Sounds almost funny, but playing with it I can see how it can do that.

Though removing stickers off a figure with lighter fluid I think a lot easier (you use a lot less {lighter fluid} for the same method), Un-Du doesn’t ruin the glue. So it’s still sticky is the difference.

And it doesn’t seem to chemically react with wood, metal, plastic, or paper. No slimely or visible residue… no wrinkling or water marks when applied to paper. And it does a REAL nice job when when you’re cleaning plastic. Especially clear plastic.

And from what I can tell… it doesn’t react with paint. Which is nice if you don’t want to accidentally ruin painted details. It MIGHT react with something if it’s a little fragile & just reacting with a fluid could be an issue. Fact I don’t know if the other stuff that they sell to the rest of the world is stronger than the stuff that they sell here in Cali… but apart from adhesives or some sort of glue… it doesn’t seem to react to anything.

What I kept everything in was an old photo album essentially, & from what I’ve gathered is that how they used to work was by magnetism. Not so much by weak glue or anything like that… just magnetism. But what would happen is e that it would chemically react with things… & you couldn’t get it off the page anymore.

Again I don’t know what’s in it… but there’s something in it that reacts with glue & magnets. It doesn’t totally destroy the connection… but if you take 2 magnets & apply this stuff to the + side on 1 magnet & the – on the other… I notice that there’s a very weak connection. To the point that they barely stay together. But when they dry… there’s a strong magnetic pull between them.

So I don’t know what’s in it that makes it do that. Never seen anything like it.

It does work pretty well in regards to things being stuck to a backing. But you’ve got to really apply a lot to an instruction booklet for example where it will cleanly come off the page. To the point where it feels like it’s completely soaked.

Sticker sheets seem to be a little easier… but you need either a splunger or a spatula to cleanly get it off. I ran into that problem with the seeker sheets.

But I accidentally found out that it works really well with transferring stickers from 1 sheet to another. When applying it you have to be careful with how much that you use because if you put too much on you can risk the stickers falling off the face of the sheet because the compound will soak through the back & the glue that’s holding them on will just give. I accidentally ruined a few sheets not realizing this stuff will do that.

But if you put 1 sheet down on something that will keep that sheet in place, you can transfer stickers from a different sheet that happen to have the stickers that you may happen to be missing on the other sheet, & because it breaks the glue down… you can put it into position… & once it dries… it looks like it’s almost factory direct.

So I don’t know how much of a demand there’d be with something like this… but I found some interesting uses for it.

Kinda a late reply… but I just wanted to let you guys know what I thought after using it.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd still recommend the poster paper type inserts and album pages. I can't think of too many G1 label sheets that would be larger than 8x10.

6. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hear ya man…

I’m going to make this post quick because it’s late & my eyeballs are crossed… I get what you were saying about the backing… but my question was what size protector should I use for the larger sized items? I’ve been looking at the stuff that Ultra Pro sells… & not all of it fits everything that they produced for the G1. They have different sized hard & soft shells for things… but can you give me idea/examples of what I might use what for what? That might be more useful.

I’m only asking because I never got into card collecting as a kid… & they’ve started to come out with different sizes that I’ve never seen before. Most of the stuff that I’ve gotten in card protector’s have either been in regular baseball card slots … or the ‘tarot’ card protectors… but I’ve got no clue how anything will fit in any of the other larger sized protectors.

I just don’t want anything to be loose when I put it in. You can put it in a protector… but it can still slosh around.

I don’t want to be a pain or sound like I’m asking stupid questions… or even repeating myself… I’m just asking for more clarification. If you’re cool with that. Not too many people talk about this… so I’m just probing you a little more because you might have more insight this that I don’t know. I just want to do it smartly & not act like I got my head cut off.

Ya feel me?

I might have missed it when I’ve been looking at their site, what do you use for the larger stuff? Meaning what product/protectors? Can you link it to me so I know what you're talking about? You might be saying 1 thing & I might be visualizing something else. Because I couldn’t find what you were referring to.

Thanks man…

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

This is whatcha need, if ya feel me :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1