How do you store MIB/MISB Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kahn, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Kahn

Kahn Well-Known Member

For those of you out there with large collections of MISB/MIB toys. How do you go about storing them effectively?

For a number of years I have just been using large computer or shipping boxes and stacking them up in the closet. Recently I was wondering if there is a better way, ala plastic sealed containers (waterproof/airtight) or secure stacking containers to prevent box wear and tear.

I did recently see large plastic storage bins at Linen's and Things selling for 7.99ea. However my concerns were that they were not flat hexahedrons - cubic rectangles - (i.e. difficult to store boxes like transformers in). Additionally, the bottoms of the surface had little bumps on the sides which prevented it from being a flat base (could cause damage over time to boxes).
    Linens 'n Things - Destination Dorm 2008: Organization: Organization: Storage: Storage Totes

So anyone have any good storage solutions, not only for organization (see through plastic would be nice but not required), but for safety from crushing, water and other concerns?

Thanks,
    Kahn

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I just use big cardboard boxes. If you fill them snugly and don't stick overly heavy boxes on top of them then all seems well. Sometimes I leave a little 'crush' room at the top of the box in case the corners start to give, but for the most part it's just making sure you store stuff carefully to begin with.

3. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Hmm, could get them all AFA graded and put in plastic boxes heh. Might be a little expensive. Mine are all shelf warmers. If you use the plastic storage containers I'd get a big roll of bubble wrap and cut off pieces of put on top and below each layer of TFs.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I keep mine in the wardrobe.

Clothes? what clothes?

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I throw em in the floor to sop up spills

6. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Mrs. and I keep out MISB stuff in plastic tubs in a storage unit, with select toys and newer MISB stuff on display in our computer room.

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Plastic boxes are my way to go, just make sure that you don't cramp everything in, leave some space (specially from the top if you plan to pile boxes) and I make sure that things inside don't rattle.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Rubbermaids.

9. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Invest in acrylic cases. I used to get mine from Protective Display Cases for Collectibles at Wholesale Prices!, but they're geared towards StarWars (incidentally worked well for GoBots). Somebody posted a site that had more G1-shaped cases, but damned if I can remember exactly what the address was (similar name though).

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have that many boxed toys, but what I have I keep in large cardboard boxes. It's so annoying that they all differ in sizes and shapes and I can never store them efficiently. Yeah, I suck at Tetris, too.

Love the name.

11. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a small collection compared to most at 100 or so. Most of mine are MISB reissues but I have started to get some MIB G1 originals that have not been reissued. I keep all of mine on a large 6ft X 3ft 5 shelf book case in my office. Most of my G1s are boxed and displayed on the bookshelf. I display the boxes in the background and then a few open figs are on display in front of them. The opened figs on display are mainly Masterpieces and some 1/48 yamato Macross figs. As I continue to add more to the shelf I sell some stuff to make room. I am not a big fan of buying something and putting it in a box and storing it away. I actually look at my collection daily and even handle to boxes and admire them. Like I said though I keep my collecion on the small side for this reason. If it continues to grow then I will have to add another bookshelf.

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On shelfs in my toyroom!

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think we own the same type of wardrobe. :p 

14. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
  15. Autovolt 127