How do you respond to racist remarks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I don't mean to start a racist thread here, but I'd like ask people how they respond to racist remarks if they've ever been the target of them.

Last Sunday, whilst grocery shopping, a little asian Muslim girl (I'd guess Pakistani), she only looked between the ages of 7-9, was standing behind me in an aisle and said quite audibly to me: "chong chong". I turned around, annoyed, but seeing that it was such a young girl, I simply smiled to her and said "Hello. Are you alright?" She replied in a completely unfazed manner: "Yes" and didn't at all look sheepish or ashamed that she had made a racist Chinese comment at me. I can't be certain whether she realised the full meaning behind what it was she said, but I'm tempted to think she must've have known that it wasn't a nice thing to say to someone. I really wanted to say to her "My name's not 'chong chong'.", but I refrained from doing so because of her apparent age. Her mother was not watching her at the time, but there was another young boy beside her that I'm guessing might've been her brother who was silent.

So it left me wondering whether I should have said more to correct the little girl. And of course I can't deny that I was a little saddened by her remarks about my Chinese ethnicity. Sadly, this is not the first time I've had young, specifically Asian Muslim, children tease me because of my Oriental appearance. I don't know what they seem to have against Chinese people. The thing is, after living most of my life and being educated in Britain, I actually consider myself more British than anything else, so it's a little hurtful when others judge me by my appearance as one of those Chinese people that aren't really part of British society.

So tell me how you would respond to such experiences? Even for those of you that aren't from an ethnic minority. I'd like to know.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Personally, I have a delicate balance. I am Chinese, but I think a small amount of racial stereotype isn't "bad", per say. My friends and I make fun of our own race's stereotype, and sometimes, we tease about the others. I do want to know that with every racial stereotype out there, aka, generalization, there is SOME level of truth behind it. It may not necessarily be the result of the color of your skin, but maybe because of the culture that you came from.

People for example, say "asians are smart and good at math" or what nots. That stereotype is racist, but I can see how that forms. Most asians that came to America from China are looking for opportunity, and they are much more "desperate" in that sense. They may have worked/studied harder. And this is just one of the many many explanations that CAN be attributed to environmental factors and cultures.

I think some people are really OVER SENSITIVE. There are comments that are purely meant for good fun and in no harm (though sometimes you may cross the lines), that people take it as that you are racist.

For me, I try to stay balanced by not being overly sensitive, but yet, still not pushing everything off as "chill man, just kidding". I do my share of teasing about these stereotype, though.

The bottom-line of how I react to a racial comment, is the attitude and intention I feel, from the person who made the comment.

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this thread is a bad idea.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Never trade rhetoric with an idiot on a soapbox. Rhetoric is what they're good at, simply mock them and point out the idiocy in everything they say and they will lose most of their power.

-This is paraphrased from something Mel Brooks said about dictators.

As for a child like the OP described, immediately seek their parent and take it up with them. If they're that young they may genuinely have no idea what they said was hurtful. If the parent gets on your case and openly says something racist, see the above point.

Or you could simply say something racist back, turn about is fair play after all.

5. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    exomega, absolutely, I agree that some things about Chinese people in general can be joked about. I am definitely aware of differences originating from culture in Chinese people living in the West, and I can see where some of the Chinese stereotypes that you mentioned (like Chinese people being good at math) came from too. And I do usually judge comments by the intention and attitude behind them.

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    When I hear turkish people or russian people talk about germans as "potatoes" I wonder, what the fuck are they doing here, getting our money for free as welcome money (because Germany takes everyone, no matter how fucked up you are and even if you don't learn our language or get no job) and than cursing about us? hellooo? Stupid idiots.

I wish we had rules like America, France or GB. They don't take anyone like we do...

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Hmm....

Well racism is taught, so her parents are responsible, not her as she just a child. Now if it was an adult then you defeat them on a interllectual level....

Brush your shoulders off...there racism everywhere, its how you deal with it that counts....
    Trust me I live in America and I deal with it everyday....

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread is going to end well.

I deal with racism every day in all sorts of ways, ranging from snide comments said behind peoples' backs to in-your-face stuff. The worst is when I have people here who act all submissive and assume I'm better than them because I'm white, that's really fucked up. Luckily it happens VERY rarely.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    I live in Alabama, my ex-wife is black, my current girlfriend is black, and I have had comments made to me before. Honestly, I don't get hurt/offended/could care less because that just shows ignorance and insecurity in the person making those remarks. If the only characteristic they take into account is skin color or place of origin, then they are missing out on a whole lot.

But 99.9% of people we run into are cool and could care less. For the remainder, that's on them. I could care less.

10. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Can I ask nicely that people keep this thread 'clean' and calm and not use it to vent their personal frustrations about people from other cultures. I just want a level-headed and sensible discussion on the topic.

11. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I deal with this all the time. Most of the time, we become friends. Racist is a strong word these days, and almost out of place. We all have misconceptions of other races cultures. I live in the coal regions of Pa, not a lot of Dominicans where I live. I've noticed slot of this so called racism is really just innocence. These folks never seen a Dominican before, they're gonna act funny. " hey, howcome you puerto ricans like big shiny rims on cheap cars?" I don't get mad, I enlighten. My response, " for the same reason your 89 f150 has a $5000 suspension system, its our culture", everyone laughs and moves on.

There is still actual racism, but not as much. You just have to handle each situation accordingly.

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I often wonder how my sister is going to handle it when she brings back the young child she's adopting from Ethiopia. We're white, and she lives in a city that's doesn't have a high population of black people, but does of Asians.

--Moony

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think its an interesting thing. My girlfriend is cauasian, and she has a vastly diff. view on racist comments, (not incorrect, understandable, but I don't agree fully), but I digress as it is not about her.

I think there is a fine line of joking and teasing. Be it a "racial joke" or any other kinds, it is about intention, magnitude, and frequency of which you make them. For example, I always make fun of a friend for getting fat. The fact is she is REALLY thin and skinny. So she don't take offense and really tease back. However, if I were to do that to a weight-conscious person who is already overweight whom I don't know very well, I would be an ass.

On a side note, my friends and I generally tease a few stereotypes about ourselves, which is actually somewhat "true", but not all the time (as is with most stereotype for most things):

1. Being book-smart in school.
    2. Being terrible drivers.
    3. Being always late.
    4. Small eyes (this isn't true for most of us, but we tease each other anyways)
    5. Accents (although we more or less have a NY or Long Island accent.)
    6. Made in China crap (yes, I am chinese, but we all still think Made in China stuff is crap.)

But yeah, it depends.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree there are fine lines between hateful racist remarks, light teasing/joking, and ignorance.. and even some semi correct generalizations.

The example Black Oracle gave or the portrayal of Asians as they were in the 50s-60s as huge thick glasses and overbite are racist. They are just done to put people down. Also this can be ignorance. Some remarks like Asians being good at math are stereotypes, but more of a positive one. Not every asian person is good at math nor is every black person good at basketball. Nor is every southern white guy a canoe and banjo music away from Deliverance.

This leads to semi correct generalizations. While some of a race are good at one thing and are stand outs, it casts that shadow over the rest of the populace of that race. Because a lot of the top NBA players are black, people think of blacks as better athletes. Because some radical muslims become terrorists, people see all of them as terrorists.

Light teasing would be like men can't ask for directions or women can't drive. It is a joke stereotype. Mel Brooks pokes fun of Jews and it is fine. Mocking ones only religion in a light hearted way is fine.

I try to not generalize people on race. Only time i do end up doing it is by something like "illegal immigrants" or "tree hugging hippies". It is more of a category than race.

15. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I don't mind, but if it's over the top I get frustrated. I usually try not to stoop down to their level so I ignore them, but annoyed at the same time.

16. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Its all in how the kids are raised. My parents raised me to tolerate all kinds of people, growing up I had black friends, asian friends, my best friend across the street was puerto rican so it really boggles my mind when people make sinde racist remarks, like the targets are less than human. Now up until a few years ago, if I over heard people making snide comments, I'd ignore it, but after I adopted my son, who is half black, I'm more aware of it and it irritates me. Usally I give the people a nasty look and they hussle off, but I want to smack em in the head sometimes.
    I mean in all honesty, if you were drowning and a hand reach out to save you, would you care what color it was?

17. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i just smile and turn the other cheek..ive dealt w/ it my whole life and after i was old enough to understand where it was coming from i started to feel sad for the individuals whos minds are so narrow minded...my wife is white and kinda naive to the whole racist remarks and racisim in general (on both sides) its the 21st century who gives a f*** what people think about u but u...i live my life for me and only me and if you think im a _________ fine....i know im not , but i can show ya one if you want me to.......be you ....its not ur job to teach the world...and people are in gerneral ******ed N E wayz....

18. gil

gil Godmaster

I was born and raised in Hawaii. I honestly think we're the most racist state. Go watch Hawaii 5.0. They show racism all the time.

But we all live perfectly together. A whole lot of my friends and all of the younger generation of my family and friends kids are mixed blooded. You go to a party and there's full blooded filipinos, chinese, and white kids playing having a good time with filipino/black, hawaiian/japanese, filipino/mexican/portuguese kids. They're all the same, all fucking brats. And they'll all grow up to be friends, I guarentee you.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't like Political Correctness as much as i dislike racist nonsense.

the worst thing for me is when people put down their own race or heritage with reckless abandon, but demand respect from everybody for the least little effort.

that is when i comment to someone.
    i have come close to carrying an ass whooping home for speaking out, but i'd rather stop someone from being an ignorant hypocrite than hearing it constantly.

i call my best friend some things, but i make sure the context is perfectly clear and in jest and most times in a place where i don't offend anybody. like i quote Pulp Fiction (Samuel L. Jackson's lines about "The Wolf" when talking to Marcellus... when he hooks me up with a rare item or invites me to his family outings. but my Best Friend is paler than a snowman.

but for the most part, i avoid it, ignore it and wish more people could think harder about what they say.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I ignore them, universally, because it's when people react to them that the words themselves acquire a power of their own.

If people didn't blow a gasket over these words, then a more enlightened, less defensive conversation could take place.