How do you prepare for a convention?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Since I'm sure most of us go to conventions at one time or another, I was wondering how you all prepare.

Right now, I am preparing for Wizard Chicago next weekend. Being a huge comic geek that I am, I am planning the entire trip this weekend. It usually goes like so.

- Check daily for new additions to the list.
    - Find out the easiest places to find most of the people I want to see. For example, I want to meet Dan Jurgens (the man who killed Superman). The only place he is going to be is the A.C.T.O.R. booth. However Patrick Zircher is going to be signing at Marvel and has a booth in artist alley. Artist alley will be the best choice.
    - Check programming times for other events.
    - Get the floor map and highlight places to go
    - Get books together I want to bring to get signed. (no, I do not carry about one of those rolling carts with a full box. Max is usually 2 books per person, if that.)
    - Check what exclusives are being offered and cost.
    - Check funds

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I did for Comicon. Only, since I stay with friends, I had to arrange that as well. :p 

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah, I drive and part in the public transportation lot. $3 as opposed to $15 in the convention lot only a block away. Heh

4. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I didn't plan very well for Comicon, actually...I didn't see that Michael Turner was doing autographs, so I didn't bring any issues I have that he illustrated. Same goes for the guy currently illustrating Amazing Spider-Man...he was selling the original pencils from the ASM that went on shelves just this Wednesday for $100 a pop...again, should have brought the Civil War ASM issues.

I just barely missed the Joss Whedon line, so forgetting my Astonishing X-Men and Serenity comics/DVD at home weren't so bad.

I DID get Joe Ng's autographs on the old Dreamwave TF comics he illustrated, though. Just like on the boards, he's a damn cool guy, and I'm glad I met him in person. :) 

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Hell yeah!

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

The one time i went the baltimore comicon. my senses were so damaged by the A.O. and smell of cheetos. that I swore them off entirely.

the A.O. and smell of cheetos was coming from me. :( 

7. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pushups and lots of jogs around the block.

And a back waxing.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Amanda & I go to Otakon each year, just for the fun of it. We're not die-hard animeheads, but we sometimes pick up a neat series while we're there. Our preparation ritual consists of something along these lines:

1. PM sex
    2. sleep
    3. AM sex
    4. Drive to Baltimore, remind each other that it's not polite to laugh at the misfortunes of others' costumes
    5. Watch a few AMVs
    6. Visit the dealer room, look for random-ass junk bins of 80s toys, buy stuff that nearly nobody else would probably buy - and for cheap, too
    7. Drive back to DC
    8. PM sex

...and we usually go Saturday & Sunday.

9. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

The only convention I've been to was a scifi convention in Boston a couple years ago. Only mission I had was to get my lando figure signed by Billy Dee Williams. Preperation for that included making sure I brough my figure.

10. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Shower. Surprisingly many people skip this part of the preparation.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    For WonderCon, I find the best day to go as far as panels go and then I call up my buddies and get tickets at my local comic store because they offer a discount... The day of, I go to the bank, take out some cash that I think I will spend... When I get there, I tour the seller's hall and buy what I want... Then go to the panels...