How do you manage stress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am very bad when it comes to managing exterior pressure and stress in my life. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in myself so oftentimes self-doubt would creep in and even simple things would escape me as I debated with myself if what I knew is correct. I've noticed that the lack of confidence would affect my posture, my mood, my facial expressions, and ultimately, the confidence of the people around me, particularly my coworkers and superiors.

I started a job at a major corporation this August, my first job at a big company in fact. All my previous work experience was with companies of around 80 people or less, and I had no idea a company of such size can be so scrutinizing of your work. Unfortunately these past months haven't been that smooth. I was evaluated by my department head managers less than 2 months in and was told I worked too slowly for their liking. They'd like to see me ask less questions and just do the job quickly. I tried my best to speed it up but it wasn't enough and I was transferred to another department within the company. I was ok with it because I wanted a fresh start and figured I was probably a poor fit in the department I was originally assigned to.

The new department had good coworkers and friendly supervisors who were willing to help me. Unfortunately the department head manager, who was no doubt clued in by my last department heads, had bad impression of me right off the bat. He even told me bluntly that there were rumors about me being too slow and blah blah, and took particular interest in me. As a result I started to second guess myself in everything I do and made more mistakes than I wanted to. Some of them were bad luck, and others brought on by my inexperience and self doubt. I don't want to give excuses, perhaps I am not suited for this job, but because of my reputation I was under a microscope from day one and that has affected my job performance. Even though I have already passed the probationary period I still don't feel safe. Lately the stress from work even affected my sleep and makes me dread about going to work. I really like my job and want to work there for a long time, but I can't do it without blocking out the stress and focusing on my task.

So I ask you guys if you know of a way to curtail stress. I've tried working out and it helps a little. Thanks for any help.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I have always found that firing a weapon as very good for stress. If you can head on out to a firing range and squeeze off a few rounds. :) 

Chuck

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sorry to hear about the issues you're having man. All of us have been in many difficult situations. I don't allow myself to believe in stress, that's how I deal with the "stressful" situations. I'm not targeting this at you or anything, but to me stress is just an excuse. My belief is once you are able to discredit stress, completely forget that it exists, you'll be able to let go and get shit done. I've had 18+ credit semesters while working full time and raising my daughter, stress could have easily been a way for me to say screw it and not do what I needed to do. I don't allow myself to buy into the stress thing though and I get my stuff done and do it well.

I don't think this attitude could work for everyone. Try it out. I'm completely happy with where I am at and more importantly my family is still in a good spot because I'm able to do what I set myself out to do. In your situation you've obviously shown something to the company because they hired you. Isn't that saying something? Think about it. Best of wishes to you man.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Having never used a gun I want to give it a try to see if it's a good stress reliever. Thanks.

Very sound advice. I will give that a try and see if it works. Thanks.

5. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Just make sure you find a place that has someone who can properly train you on how to safely use the weapon. :) 
    Keep your chin up and drive on man. You seem like a good fellow and it will all work out for the better.

Chuck

6. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    going to the range is good.. fishing is another way to get rid of stress

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even tho im usually level headed I used to carry work into my personal time.

Since ive had kids i just go home and leave crap back in the office.

That said your problem is more about politics than workload. U either develop a thick skin so shit dont get to u cuz all that moneys no use if your left the stress gets to your health. I know the job situation is tough over there but try to be in a position where your on top of your situation rather than being always facing an uphill task of managing a superiors perception of you.

(if your the confrontational type you can even have a pow wow with the dude to straighten shit out but i doubt your the type cuz guys like that dont fret abt it to strangers like this, no offense.)

8. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sex

9. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you tried taking long, hot showers? :inquisiti 

That works for me! :thumbs2: 

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    You know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I get off on people doubting me, cause in the end I make them look like dumbasses. For anything in life you are going to need to have confidence in yourself. I mean think of jobs in general, most jobs are retarded run by retards. Unless you save lives, jobs are useless.

The only thing you need to do is prove to yourself that you are good enough. Hate to be mean, but if you cannot do that, there will be a lot more issues for you in life. Just be confident, this is not a stress issue I think.

The most stress I felt is by things I couldn't control. I remember getting my son tested for cystic fibrosis. That was stress and nothing I could do about that. I got migraine that day. When we got good news, I drank.

11. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Short bursts of violence.

12. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    By going on killing sprees in Dead Rising 2.

13. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Distract yourself with hobbies and drink a cold one.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Working out and photography.

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I try to distract myself from the world around me, whether that be playing a video game or surfing the net, or just stepping outside to breathe some fresh air.
    If I didn't try to distract myself, then I would not cope well. Not at all. I would have a hard time getting through the day without falling apart at the seams.
    Plus, I have anger management issues, so it's better for everyone else if I just have my solitude...

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I usually find comfort in talking to people. That always helps.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i've gone through so much damn stress in the past 4-5 years that i can pretty much handle any bad news thrown my way, nothing really phases me anymore i've just come to expect shit will hit the fan, always

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    running always helps for me. I generally run like 4 miles a day so I don't get stressed out easily.

I suppose the correct attitude helps as well, once I realized most thing weren't that important I stopped worrying about them.

19. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it sounds like the primary source of stress is coming from the managers "taking a particular interest" in your "productivity." From my experience in working such environments, sometimes managers do that in some weird stupid way to "motivate" you to work harder and faster. To me, it would seem like they're leading by an example of fear. Fear of you losing your job. Honestly, as long as you're not on some kinda written warning or "performance plan", you should be ok. They should understand that you're new and there is a learning curve. If they don't....its not that you're not suited for the job, its more than likely the company you work for has horrible bosses. So don't lose any confidence in yourself. I would suggest, take whatever time you need to learn how to do the job well and efficiently. Show it however you can, but in a positive way. If you have to "ask a question", don't ask in a way that lets them think you don't know what you're doing. But ask in a way that kinda shows that you're wanting to learn from their experience. More or less, give the impression that you're wanting to "improve", not "learn how to do the job." Does that make sense? Its kinda like brown nosing.....but not.

Some managers dig that. If you show that you're wanting to "improve" and do better and faster, the microscope you're under will eventually disappear as they will have confidence in you as well (since you're basically showing it too). Sometimes this pressure they put on you....is like a test to see how you handle things as well. So that's something you want to keep in mind :wink:  I usually like to go after the primary problem of stress and work on that first because in the end, anything else you do will help, but that initial cause of stress is still there. Sometimes you can do something about it, sometimes you can't. This is one where you can. Not to discount other things you can do that others have mentioned. Like TJ said, working out is a great energy release. Brainchild said talking to others help, and it does! Talking to others can be extremely cathartic! Unicron mentioned doing things to take your mind off of things. This works well too! Sometimes you need to step away from a problem before you go back to it. A fresh and clear mind can find a better solution than one that is clouded. There are a lot of good suggestions made here already...so.....pick what makes you happy and go with it :) 

20. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I go out killing. I'm on twelve now.

Although, seriously, my technique usually revolved around a gradual transformation into an egomaniacal bastard who began to resent the miserable creatures I was surrounded with, which is probably why I'm currently unemployed. Apparently that attitude was unhelpful in a small bussiness. Could work in a larger one, though.

Some of the more stupid managers in the world consider things like what yours said to be 'encouragement'. They're wrong of course, but managers are generally egomaniacal bastards who resent the miserable creatures they're surrounded by, and thus have completely lost touch with what it is to be human, whilst somehow managing to be successful. So he may not be actively disliking you, infact in his own inhuman, stupid way, he may be trying to help you.