How do you manage gaming in this day and age? (A roundtable)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally beat Mass Effect. I'm trying to get back into Valkyria Chronicles. I finally bought a Wii, just got back into playing Dungeons and Dragons Tactics on the PSP, Batman comes out this week, and I'm still trying to join a game of Fat Princess with Turboryde, and race/nuke Smang on the 2030 racetracks of Wipeout, and TMNT: turtles in time comes out tomorrow on Live. I have every system except the DS (which I sold, but I'll probably get again some day), so that I avoid missing out on the great games each system has to offer. So many games unbeat, when back in the days of Genesis and SNES, I beat every Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy. Vermillions, Shining Forces, and now I celebrate beating a game that's 2 years old.

So what do you guys do to juggle having kids (some of us) being married (some of us) or simply just being busy with life, with playing games without letting so many good games get by your radar, but actually seeing all these games through to conclusion?

Do you avoid getting some (Choose your top games for the year)? Or do you just satisfy yourself with getting some playtime with them, but not always beating them. Or not opening the package like Twist?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Play when I can, don't sweat the details.

Also you don't need to finish every game to get the most out of it, as long as you appreciate and enjoy what you play you got your monies worth.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i usually manage to finish single player games pretty quickly, i don't have a girl or kids so i have a lot of free time :(  in fact i think i only have 2 or 3 unfinished single player games right now.

i have a game or two that i'll play consistently - usually a fighting game, it used to be DOA4 but now i play sf4 or BB if i'm at a loose end.

but yeah, i seem to have enough time to sink hours into a game... for better or worse.

4. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I'm a casual gamer.

I play when it will be fun for me, if I have time.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I work a 3 on, 4 off shift. 2 of those days off the missus is working so those are my gaming days, with the odd house chore thrown if for good measure :D 

I tend to try and stick to just a couple of games at a time or just focus on one. I don't finish them all unless its uber awesome and worth my time.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess if I don't beat a game, it indicates that while the game still kicks ass, it didn't have enough to keep me going. Once I jumped back into ME, I pretty much didn't stop until I finished. I still haven't beat Dragon Quest for PS2, even if it was a kick-ass ride.

Another example is Folklore on PS3. It was an awesome game and concept, but I have yet to pass it. I still own it, but who knows if I'll ever get through it.

Smang, we need to get some racing on.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

we do indeed.

if i don't feel like finishing a game its usually because i don't like it, so i trade/sell it.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'm lucky in that I only work two (very long hellish) days a week. I generally only play games while my wife is at work and only after I finish taking care of the house work. Latley I've been sticking to one single player game at a time and jumping into multiplayer for a few quick rounds. I've quit buying games just to have them unless I get an incredible deal. I'm so backlogged right now that I'm just waisting money.

I did get another 360 though. I go to bed before my wife so I've been getting about an hour of gaming done in the bedroom. Playing on SD sucks but man is it awsome to just lay in bed and play.

9. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    I work from home from 7am to 3pm. When I've got a new game and that I'm really into it, I will play during lunch break. Otherwise, gaming time is usually later in the evening around 9 or 10pm when the wife has gone to bed.

DS and PSP get used when the wife is watching boring TV shows or the odd time I commute to work for monthly office meetings, and of course, during bathroom breaks :D 

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually play at night around 9pm when the wife and baby fall asleep. On the weekends I usually play later at night. I always make sure though that I spend time with the wife and baby first though before I play. I only buy games I know I will play, like Madden ever year, ROTF, and Batman AA. Speaking, I haven't seen you in ROTF in a long time Wincharger.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's hard to juggle work, wife, kids and gaming. It takes me a while to get through most games. I just can't find as much time as I want for them. I play as I can and enjoy as I can. I managed to get my wife hooked on watching games with good stories. She has watched me play through Bioshock, Gears of War 2 and we are now working on Dead Space.

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't honestly know. I'm so dedicated to fighting games that I almost feel guilty playing a 1 player game instead of being in training mode.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For exactly that reason. I have been playing Wipeout, and then Valkyria Chornicles, and then my fiance wants to play The End is Nigh, so everytime I'm on the PS3 I see you guys playing ROTF or Fat Princess, and I think "Awwww, they must be having a blast." My fiance and I get out at the same time from work, and that's not a bad thing, and she doesn't mind me playing online, but I feel bad doing it too long.

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Last game I played and beat was Force Unleashed. I haven't really tried anything new in awhile. I've been getting back to the old school games. Was just playing Spiderman for DC. It's so pringles!

15. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hear ya man. We miss seeing you though.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It varies, but the rhythm lately has been:

7pm. Wife goes upstairs, puts daughter to bed, then has quiet time with no kids around. She's a writer and has been using the time to do some of that also.
    8pm. I put my sons to bed.
    8:30-10:30. I chill downstairs to give wife some space. usuallly this is game time but sometimes it's reading or internet.

School is about to start back soon though, which means night classes, which means the rhythm gets disrupted. During the school year I usually mostly play on weekends when we don't have anything else going on.

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

mental instability keep women away from me unfortunately. no women. no relationship. no kids. good job. im f***ing depressed. VG is the only joy i have at the moment.

YES I HAVE DATED. :mad . just that theres always guys who are 'better' then me then they women see me and tell me that would happier with me then the abusive husband that cheats and has 9 kids with other women you gave him 4 with 5 on the way.

its like that movie with luke wilson.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trust me man, the only thing situations like that help with is weeding out the good ones from the bad. And you WILL go through a shitload of bads before getting a good, otherwise where would the value be? The abused ones (with a few exceptions) will not leave their situations for far deeper reasons than we should derail on here for, suffice it to say, those tend to be lost causes, no matter how much of a better picture you paint. And you do find one who consider you to be the "better". And then you can't play video games anymore ;/

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I game when I feel like it. If I got work or school stuff to get done first? Forget about it. I make sure I've got everything else out of the way so I can relax and blow some shit up worry-free.

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I limit myself to 1 or 2 games every 3 months. If I don't like it I sell it but I play through it until I beat it and with the new trophy system if I am close to a platinum after I have got my thrill I will try to get the platinum. I will try the game online if it is available but I will not dedicated months to playing online to have that high online rank.