Customs: How do you make a plastic copy of a figure?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BAMC18, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I'm trying to customize a figure by adding articulation on to it but I want to make a plastic copy of it so I can use that one to add joints instead of the original figure... Can anyone help me out with providing me with a good and easy tutorial for a guy that doesn't have too much money or special tools, also with things I need that I can easily get at home depot, lowes, wal-mart or any crafts store. This would really help me out a ton!

Thank you!

2. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Buy a second one or see if they make a knock off (like from kotoys.com or at like Big Lots or something). =) Trust me.

The only way to make a 'copy' of a toy is to mold and cast a copy of all the parts. And that material is expensive and ain't that easy to work with. You'd end up spending more money on trying to make a copy than just buying a second one. I was thinking the same thing about a 1/24 scale model kit I have and a video game action figure I wanted to articulate and I've spent more trying to copy them than it would have been buying second ones.

3. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

Oh ok thank you so much!! You just saved me from going and buying the materials so thank you!

4. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

No problem. Oh, and on a side note, you couldn't pick up those supplies at a hardware store. =) I think the only place you could get it would be at like Reynolds Advanced Materials in Denver. They sell Smooth-on brand stuff. Most everything else is catalog or online only. But you're still talking a minimum of at least $50 or more in supplies.

Depending on what figure you're looking to articulate, you can probably even scout out a broken one on eBay - like where the legs or arms are broke but included with it - since you'd be taking it apart anyways. Depending on the toys you have, you could do the same for the one you'd need the joints from to do the transplant. Then, all you'd need is something to cut them with and some gorilla/super glue or epoxy -- and those you can get from a hardware store or a Walmart.

5. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

I started out by thinking of using the original figure but the only problem was that the figures I did want to articulate were always hard to find or get from eBay and get them cheap... Then I just thought of sculpting my own figures but developing great sculpting skills takes a while and I don't always have too much time so I'm still kinda thinking on what to do...

But yea thanks again for everything really helped me out and saved me time!! :) 

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Can you tell us what original figure you are looking for? I have a bunch of toys i'm starting to get rid of, might be able to help. PM me if you wanna keep it on the downlow.

Randy!

7. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for offer but I'm actually just quitting on the project... I just started too fast so I'm just gonna start fresh and pick an easier character, but I'll keep your offer in mind!

Thanks again!