How do you like your X-Men?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ORIO, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now, first bare in mind that I'm now up to date with my X-Men comics. I know certain events thanks to trade and wikipedia, but here it goes...

Which line up/team organizing/era do you prefer? What is your hayday?

And which characters are underused and should have a permanent spot on the team?

Personally, the first time I was introduced to X-Men was "Pryde of The X-Men". Which had a lineup of Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Kitty and Dazzler. From there, I picked up my first issue #238. The team had Colossus, Wolvie, Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Havok, Longshot and Storm. I really liked that line up.

Overall, I like my X-Men and their teams organized. I loved 90's run with the Blue and Gold teams

And I loved the relaunch that followed years later that had Cyclops, Storm and Havok each leading their own teams through out the titles.

And hot damn was Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing the best thing ever.

Currently, from what I've been reading (I haven't read Second Coming, Necrosha etc yet) but I prefer my X-Men teams organized, designated spots on teams and effective.

Eh... not as organized as the Spidey thread but let's hear your thoughts!

2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Early '90s with the Blue and Gold teams.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

It's funny, but me and my brother were playing "Create your own X-Team" last week when we were walking the dogs. I kinda like the idea of an "A-squad" of recognized names (Cyclops, Storm, Beast, etc.) being in one book while a "B-squad" of lesser-used fan-favorites (Cannonball, Jubilee, Warpath) coupled with a big name or two (Rogue, Iceman, etc.) in another book--in other words, sort of like Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men (yeah, I know--but I'm just talking about the team, not the writing) with Whedon's Astonishing X-Men being released at the same time.

And then there's X-Force. I like the concept of the Yost/Kyle team, but could stand some changes. The lineup we came up with was Wolverine, Gambit, Deadpool, Juggernaut, Domino, Psylocke and Sunfire.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It really, really wasn't. The first arc was definitely great, but the subsequent three ranged from disappointing to borderline awful. The Danger arc's ending was not only complete crap, but it flew in the face of Chris Claremont's entire set-up for his current Excalibur book (which, in fairness, was as terrible as anything else Claremont has done in the last ten years, but it annoys me when a writer can just ignore continuity because they're a "big name talent," see also: Brad Meltzer). The third arc was an extended fight scene that took over a year to fully come out, removing any sense of pacing it may have had. The fourth arc was better, but again ruined by Whedon and Cassady's total inability to put out a single issue more than once every three to four months. Plus the ending with the giant space bullet was not only an example of horrible, horrible physics, but it wrote out one of the X-Men's best characters, and I feel that Whedon had lost the right to do anything actually affecting real continuity after his inability to keep anything resembling a schedule.

Sorry for the rant, but this is the second time this morning I've heard someone sing the undeserved praises of Astonishing X-Men and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Now to actually answer the question, my favorite X-Men line-up was the late 80s Australian team - Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Rogue, Psylocke, Dazzler, Longshot, and Havok. That was a fantastic line-up and I loved the set-up of the team operating while the whole world thought they were dead. It's a real pity that editorial meddling cut that era short.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Thomas/Adams, early Claremont, Morrison. Almost everything between isn't worth my time at this point.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Anything with awesome Bishop. By awesome I mean the pissed-off disposition, curly mullet and the desire to bust Gambit up. All was right with the world until Onslaught came along and Gambit was cleared of the "X-Men Traitor" mystery. Then Bishop shaved his head and went mellow. Sure they brought back the hair with the dreads but last I heard he was trying to kill some baby...?

8. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well at least we agree on the late 80's team lineup :lol 

I just picked up the Gifted trade the other day used at Hastings and that story arc is the mutt's nuts.

But yeah, I can easily see why people didn't care for Whedons run after that, but I dug it for what it was. The dialogue and bits of humor I really like.

Anyway, I really would like to see Beast turn back into... um, Beast. Tired of the Beauty and The Beast look.

And Sunfire is a character I'd like to see finally join the X-Men. Now that he looks all AoA, it's a shame not to use that design or character more often.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

^THIS.

10. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Cyclops/Jean Grey/Shadowcat/Rogue/Spyke (or Iceman)/Nightcrawler.

For obvious reasons.

11. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    These line ups were always my favorites.

12. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Early 90s blue and gold teams.

The Original Age of Apocalypse ( I HATED the sequel series, but the original was gold )

After the AOA I started to lose interest. The art and writing changed drastically once they returned to the normal series with the attempt to copy the manga style and none of the stories really caught my interest. Haven't been buying X-Men comics, or even comics really, since then.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Allow me to pain you some more cause I too love Whedon's Astonishing. Subjective pacing issues aside, Whedon's Astonishing felt the closest to being a classic X-men-ish title that any X-title has felt in the last 5 or 6 years.

And the space bullet was brilliant for its simplicity. Physics can take a hike in super-hero comics.

on topic, give me 90's Gold and Blue teams. I like my x-universe organized, and each both have definable teams where I can read about certain characters. Currently, I'm bored to death reading about Cyclops, Angel, Emma Frost, Wolverine, and Rogue in every X-book. Yawn...

14. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I stopped reading X-Men after Onslaught made me lose interest, but yeah, Blue and Gold.

15. One

One Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Kyle/Yost's run on X-Force along with Crain's art and I wish they will come back sometime and write the X-men.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Original Age of Apocalypse line-up for the win.

Magneto, Rogue, Quicksilver, Iceman, Blink, Sunfire, Sabertooth, Wildchid, and I think that was it. Gambit and his group, Shadowcat and Colossus with their group (which was more or less the same Generation-X group just a little less tamed), and Wolverine and Jean Grey as a commando unit working for the Human Alliance (with Captain Britain and Moira Mactaggert).

And of course, Apocalypse and his Four Horsemen (Mr. Sinister, Holocaust, Colossus's brother, and that crazy little demon guy) and his "generals" with Cyclops, Havok, Beast, Domino, etc.

And I enjoyed the build up to Onslaught, what with Magneto's clone Joseph joining the X-Men (it was like a good Magneto!) and of course the battle between Xaiver/Onslaught and the X-Men, with the big reveal that the X-Men traitor was none other than Professor Xaiver.

I lost track of the stories around "The Twelve" and how Apocalypse tried to take the body of X-Man, Nate Grey (I miss him) and got Cyclops instead.

But how do I really prefer my X-Men?

2099 style baby.

Xi'An
    Skullfire
    Serpentina
    Metalhead
    Krysalis
    Meanstreak
    Bloodhawk

And eventually Xi'An's brother Junkpile, La Lunatica, and the first bit of the short-lived X-Nation book, where the Mutant City takes a bunch of orphan mutants and trains them to use their powers and they forge relationships, etc., and there was totally a kid that seemed to be the descendant of Magneto, I think his name was Nostromus or something like that.

MISS IT.

17. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DUDE! I was Skullfire for Halloween year as a kid :) 

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Lightly fried.

Oh come on, I had to do it.

Anyway Blue and Gold for me too. Cyclops/Storm lead teams neatly sidestepped the whole 'I'm better suited to lead than you, you has been/inexperienced fool!' And the line up pretty much stayed the same for a few years.

Then Bishop got bought in, to mix things up a bit and things got hazy. I do remember switching off X-men and Uncanny when Maggot showed up. That was all WTF is this shit?

19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Blue and gold. Wolverine and Deadpool don't need to be in every book. I like it when books are planned and correspond with each other.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Also, X-Cutioners Song was cool, where the two teams had specific jobs to go off and do, leaving (relatively) newboy back at the Mansion to babysit Jubilee (pre Gen X).

When did Banshee set up shop at Muir Isle? During this time? Because I always liked the backup that the X-teams had, especially in those days. X-Factor doing government work, while not necessarily agreeing 100% with the X-men, but knowing that they had their back, knowing that there was Excalibur and Muir Isle as bases to help with serious events was how I would have thought a race that everyone feared and hated would react.

Everything sort of went wrong after AoE IMO. AoE showed characters going outside their usual boxes, which for an alternate reality was fine, but back in 616? Havok turing Mutie terrorist? Sabretooth a 'hero'? (To be fair though, that one didn't last, thankfully.)