How do you like your TF storytelling?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Sep 12, 2010.

?

How do you prefer your TF storytelling?

1. Transformers Only: Who needs the flesh creatures?

14 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Transformers Mainly: limited human interaction as needed

64 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Human-centric: We learn of the TFs as they do; TF appearances are sporadic.

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer Human-centric. I can relate to humans better than I can to alien robots, and I feel this method makes the robots more mysterious and interesting, since the human characters would be our eyes and ears, and we'd learn about the TFs as they do.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Intelligent.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I voted for the second option. because it's the way the generation one cartoon & comic were.

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    wheres the both tf and humans option?

5. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I was going to put "Well"
    But that works too.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

I picked "Transformers Mainly: limited human interaction as needed." But I believe that there can be a middle ground.
    I'm one of the few TF fans who doesn't hate the concept of human characters being part of the story. Especially since I'm also one of those TF fans who is not all that enamored with Cybertron, and prefers a earth based setting, with earth based alt-modes.

Which is looking to be what we are getting with the upcoming show, TF: Prime.
    Hopefully the writting for the characters will be good, and I wont have to put up with too many fan boys whining about the human screen time.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    I think generally tf storues have been successful with some human interaction: they provide scale n perspective. I think beast wars was the only exception. But even then another element (g1 histrory) was used as a counterpoint, so yeah, transformers has always had a reference point to make it more relevant. I think its just a matter of writing non annoying human characters.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Agreed, which is why I really like Beast Wars, I kid a little. As long as most TF animated series are written to target and attract a "younger" audience I think we'll get some annoying child characters..mainly because the writers think these types of children are funny or endearing..frankly they're not, but most of us would judge that from an adult viewpoint..wouldn't mind a series with smarter but not "know-it-all" children..could be fun for everyone:thumb 

9. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Transformers mainly.

Who the hell voted for Human-centric?

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    It's gotta be the 2nd option for me. G1 had the right formula - 1 or 2 humans per episode at the most. BW had no humans (cavepeople don't count as humans... :lol ) & but the Bayverse movies had a ratio of 10 humans:1 Transformer. There's something wrong with that...

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As long as there is a decent amount of characterisation I do not mind how it is pulled off. Human centric has its merits but can sometimes act as a barrier to fully characterising the robots.

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

My thoughts exactly! In the G1 series and the comics you felt humans were just caught in between the crossfire, in some severe cases almost canon fodder, because for me if you are spending more time on the humans you wil not maximise the potential for more character development on the robots and let's face it the show is about the robots!

13. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

The OP himself: read the first entry.

Personally, I would've gone for the both equally option but since that's not available, its the Transformers mainly option I'm voting for.

14. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Mainly Transformers.

I grew up on Beast Wars so I was spoiled with a Transformers-only (monkey people don't count >_<) show.

That said, I didn't really mind Spike and Sparkplug in G1. Chip was kind of annoying and so was Daniel, but not so bad lol. I actually LOVED the human characters in Animated surprsingly, and in Bay's movies too! And Koji wasn't SO bad since he wasn't the focus of the show.

But then there's the God-damned mother-fucking Unicron trilogy. The human presence in those shows is way too obnoxious and it's too much about them rather than the Transformers (did they REALLY need to have the whole first episode be about the kids until Prime and Megatron showed up at the end? It's embarassing :redface2:  )

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer mainly Transformers, with limited human interaction.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Absolutely. Perspective, storyteller, etc. does not matter to me as long as the story is interesting enough to enjoy and well-written enough to capture me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The ideal is a happy medium between human/TF, but sometimes the particular incarnation necessitates more human involvement, i.e., the movies. Completely without human involvement the story is unrelateable and devoid of the perspective that makes it so fascinating. Mostly human tends to miss the point that the TF's are valid/sentient beings in their own right. Both elements are necessary, IMO, to make the story the phenomenon that it is.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I like it when the Transformers feel like the stars of the story but there are enough humans in it to remind us they are huge robots from another planet.

Humans can do lots of useful things in a Transformers story. They can give us that feeling of scale. They are something squishy the Autobots need to save. They can do little things to show how different Transformers and humans are. They can show how we are like the Transformers in other ways. Humans can just be really useful in so many ways.

Oddly though I find that I can relate to the robots better than I can the human characters in the shows. The human character almost never share personality traits with me but I can find both the good side and bad side of my personality in the robots.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really don't enjoy stories without any kind of human interaction at all.

That being said, I'm mainly looking for something well-written.

I do tend to prefer stories that were the events and interaction surround one human character, though. This doesn't mean that the story is centered on this individual, but it does mean that this person is my springboard where I have a frame of reference.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

As long as the story is well made, and the Transformers are the star of the show I'm happy.