How do you like your minibots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Billzilla, Apr 10, 2012.

?

How do you like your minibots?

1. All the same size, smaller than the rest

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. All the same scale, smaller than the rest

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. All the same size, the same size as the rest

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. All the same scale, the same scale as the rest

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  5. Other (explain)

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    The question is simple enough, but it's been driving me crazy. How big should the "ideal G1 minibot" be? Don't take any currently-existing toys into consideration, imagine you are designing an all new line of Minibots. How big are they? The way I see it, there's four major ways you could depict them.

What the poll choices mean:
    Option 1- All roughly the same size as each other, smaller than the rest:
    This is how they are depicted in G1 toys and by the iGear MW series. The minibots are all roughly the same size as one another in bot mode and alt mode, and are uniformly depicted as smaller than the other Autobots like Prowl or Hound.

Option 2- All roughly in scale with one another, smaller than the rest:
    This is sort of how hasbro seems to be doing it now although their scale isn't strict. Windcharger and Beachcomber are a size class smaller than the rest of the autobots, Brawn and Gears would be a bit bigger, Warpath and Seaspray would be bigger still, and Powerglide would be by far the largest, but all are too small to be in scale with the deluxe autobots.

Option 3- All roughly the same size as each other, the same size as the rest:
    Every figure, whether or not it is a minibot, should be the same size regardless of alt mode. Basically you want your whole collection to be one size class, be it legends, deluxes or whatever.

Option 4- All roughly in scale with one another, the same scale as the rest: This means every figure- whether they are a minibot or not, should be in consistent alt mode scale. Powerglide should be huge. Huffer and Prime are about the same size. Jazz and Windcharger are about the same size. This choice is pretty much impossible "in real life" (if your cars are deluxes, Powerglide would be 2x the size of MP starscream) but don't let that stop you from picking it, this is about your ideal.

Option 5- I'm really not sure what other options people would prefer to the above four, but if you've got another scenario lemme hear it (other than "I don't care," which is a lame non-answer, why even vote in that case?)

Note: Although I use examples in explanations, the question is about what your ideal size for minibots is- not which current incarnation you like the best. So don't pick option 1 just because you think iGear Spray is a better figure than HFTD Seaspray- this is about your ideal size class, not which figure is better. For sake of simplifying the argument I am not considering Bumblebee, Cliffjumper or Wheelie to be part of this group, and although you can consider Cosmos as part of your answer, you can ignore alt mode scale as his alt mode has no real world counterpart.

2. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I can't believe you don't have different sizes... Nevermind, I didn't see the "scale". Must be getting tired. Put me for the fourth one instead.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Option 3, definitely. I don't even mind huge Powerglide.

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Option 3 is "miniots the same size as everyone else" (basically "everyone is a deluxe") Do you mean Option 2?

These poll choices are confusingly worded, but I honestly couldn't think of a clearer way to put it. :( 

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like option 2, but option 3 would be ideal for me. I'm just saying that I also don't mind the huge minibots, is all.

6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I think I'd prefer them all to be slightly large-ish scouts

Option 1

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm going with the first one, legends?

8. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    sure, option 1 can be legends. No size class is explicitly tied to any of the options. Picking option 1 just means "I think Beachcomber (who has the smallest alt mode) and Powerglide (who has the largest) should be the same size, and that size should be smaller than the average Autobot." So if your "Average autobot" is an Alternator, your minibots could be pretty big, but if your average autobots are classics deluxes, then your minibots could be legends, scouts, HA Basics, Cyberverse Legions or Commanders.. whatever, they're just all the same size, and smaller than everyone else.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh damn, I meant Option 4.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Scoutish size would be perfect

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok, i would rather have scout class size for characters like the insecticons, combiner limbs (sometimes) etc. the minibots i want mini

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Other. I don't care what size. If it looks cool, I'll buy it.

13. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I like my minibots in one piece, but as soon as Prime Arcee appears that won't last long.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think I want Option 2. All the Minibots the same size as Classics Bumblebee. Still a Deluxe Class figure, but clearly shorter in stature than the rest of the Autobots.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    All Deluxe size.

16. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I like my minibots mini, glad BBTS had the sale on Seaspray and Powerglide, cause they will fit right in. I will keep buying the igear ones, but would have rather had them smaller.

17. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Pan seared in garlic and olive oil and served over a bed of noodles in a white wine sauce.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

No fava beans or Chianti?

Toy-wise, I like little action figures a lot. On TV and in the books, I think some of the minibots lose a little, if they're as big as everyone else. Brawn isn't quite as cool if he isn't a little guy who can throw Megatron around, and if Bumblebee is too big, he can't play pinball.

Seaspray can't be too big, because Alana.

Warpath and Beachcomber seem okay as big robots.

For some reason, Rumble, Frenzy, and the cassettes never get pulled into discussions like this, though you'd think we'd have similar stuff to discuss. They've had at least one or a few toys that weren't small.

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    4, I like alt modes to be in relative scale with the robot modes reflecting that

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I prefer them $15 shipped...