How do you like your G1 Galvatron? Upgraded Megatron or Time Traveling Despot?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kind of like the idea of having Galvatron being separate from Megatron. I like seeing them interact with one another.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

When your counting your Transformers collection, do they count as one guy, or two seperate characters? LOL!

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Well I say it's gotta depend on the continuity. I think in the G1 cartoon, the upgrade makes sense, and I wouldn't have it any either way. The "Megatron, is that you?" and "Here's a hint" from the '86 movie were awesome and wouldn't make sense any other way. Likewise when Prime says "I know you all too well, Galvatron" in the Return of Optimus Prime.

On the other hand, having Galvy and Megs as two separate bots like the IDW continuity is awesome too. Would like to see them go at it.

I remember I had an old Transformers comic where the preview for the next issue (I think?) had a picture of Galvatron and Megatron meeting, with Galvy saying "How can that be, I'm you!" It always freaked me out / boggled my mind as a kid because I only knew of the G1 cartoon, had never really read the comics.

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like This
    [​IMG]

and this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grilled.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Unhinged spawn of Unicron.

7. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I would have preferred them to be separate characters from the get go. Galvatron, as a not-reformatted-Megatron destroying Starscream could have been just as awesome.

8. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

As a follower of the early cartoon/movie more than the early/IDW comics I would say that I have always though of Galvatron as an evolution of Megatron- destroyer of Starscream, and temporary holder of the Autobot matrix. The two of them hanging out, having a couple brews together after a hard day at the office freaks me out!!

End of Line

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, they were two seperate guys to me, because the movie wasn't shown in Germany when I actually played with Transformers and the show aired regularly. But later updating my knowledge let's me see him as one person and not in any other way.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like not knowing, which means Galvatron not only won't kill Megatron, but will actively work to keep him alive.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It would be interesting to see these four in battle.
    Optimus Prime vs Megatron of coarse, and Ultra Magnus or Rodimus Prime against Galvatron in a two-on-two kind of battle.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm with you.

For some reason, I always rebelled against the idea of them being the same person... I always liked the Earth setting with the classic Prime/Megatron binary, and the Movie and Season 3 rubbed me the wrong way by leaping ahead and offing so many characters. For me, the fundamental G1 "secret war" setting on Earth will always be my default setting for Transformers.

The original Tech Spec for Galvatron was ambiguous about this "Decepticon City Commander" being Megatron, perhaps just to avoid spoilers, but despite their similarities, I always took it to mean that Galvatron was another Decepticon commander, perhaps one back on Cybertron, Ultra Magnus' direct rival. The movie would change all that, but it's hard to change first impressions.

That said, Galvatron in the '86 movie was pretty damn cool (though Season 3 ruined him after that point). I prefer him as some kind of possible alternate future Megatron, ripped out of the timestream, a la Marvel UK.

zmog

13. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Upgraded Megatron..

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Galvatron = Uber Megatron.

You think great, they finally broke him. oh fuck he's back, only more crazy and dangerous than ever!!

I really enjoyed all the Marvel time-travelling storylines as a kid. It's stupid to mess with that. I do feel there was a distinct personality shift between Megatron and Galvatron. Megatron always struck me as old and not particularly powerful. What made him dangerous was his resolve, his iron will. As Galvatron, he's totally rejuvenated, and so amped-up that his former restraint, his instinct for self-preservation no longer holds him back.

They should be treated as essentially the same character, but with such markedly different personalities that we're kept guessing.

15. Galaximus Prime

Galaximus Prime Matrix Bearer

Personally, from what I've seen, in the cartoon, it was that the plasma bath destroyed Galvatron's logic circuits. In the comics, it was when he was reformatted into Galvatron that destroyed them. Either way, he's a nutjob, and deserves to be seperate from Megatron as an entirely different entity.

Reason for this: Megatron was in fact crazy, both in the series and comic books, but at the same time, he wasn't howling mad, so to speak. Galvatron here will fire at any tom dick or larry that disappoints him, even so much in just missing a blast. So I feel they best suit the fans as 2 characters, not one.

16. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

Upgraded crazy-as-hell Megatron.

17. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

megatron upgrade all the way, it was just a cool idea!

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Rebuilt Megatron + mostly purple color scheme + purely insane personality = Galvatron, imo.

19. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I like my purple Galvatron to be an upgraded Megs and my silver/grey Galvatron to be a time travelling despot. As my favourite transformer he's welcome multiple times in my collection :D 

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    QFT. The way it worked out in the original toon was great, especially with his interactions with the other characters and such. HOWEVER, I love for the fact that IDW broke out of that mold, because I really enjoy having them be separate characters. There's a great possibilities to be had there, with a sense of kinship and/or rivalry , that can be added to the stories.