How do you like your G1 eBay wins, ratty or repro?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Jul 29, 2011.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    Greeting. I found a really great deal on a G1 Megatron on eBay that needed a little repair. Now that he's fixed, and better than ever I must say, I'm thinking of uPgrading his stickers to reprolabel. The original ones are pretty much destroyed. Would knowing that your bidding on something with brand new labels detract you from the purchase and take away the "vintage" aspect, or would it make you want it more or it doesn't really matter? I would obviousy rather use vntage stickers but the only set I saw was $103.00!!!! No thanks!!!

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Reprolabels will have no affect on resale value. In fact I would pay more for a nice set of Reprolabels than crappy vintage labels.

Don't buy vintage labels though - who knows how the adhesive will stick after 25+ years.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Reprolabels are the only non-official things I'd want replacing anything with my vintage G1 collection. That's certainly no slam against anyone making repro parts, especially because with certain parts the quality is actually BETTER. It's just a quirk of mine and my collection.

4. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    Reprolabels are the only choice I would make too. I just wasnt sure if I should do those or just leave megatron as is, with the original and horribly worn stickers.

5. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i went through a big delema with repairing stickers. i have a lot of first run and some rare variants and couldnt bring myself to use anything not authentic. my only issue with repro (and i think they are the best) is the color just isnt perfect. i had a g1 skywarp and they were so bright it just looked fake. its all prsonal preference but try one thing. while buying original sticker sheets i used alcahol to remove all but factory stickers on a lot of my gen 1. try it and leave some a while, you might be surprised how great they look. i have left over half clean that way and i love it.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I bought a Skullcruncher with reprolabels the other week. Looks much better than my Snapdragon with vintage stickers.

It all depends on the condition of the base figure, though. If you polish a turd, it's still a turd. If the figure is in great condition without stickers, go for it.

7. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    I am all for reprolabels. If I had to choose between reprolabels or worn out originals stickers, I would just reprolabels every time.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree with most everybody else - new stickers are better than old stickers in most any scenario I can imagine.

Old tape smells bad, looks faded and isn't sticky anymore.

9. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a mixed bag for me.

If there is anything that I would be willing to have non-vintage on my vintage figures, it'd be reprolabels, as to me that's not a really big deal. I probably would prefer a bare figure with no stickers at all to a repro labeled figure, but that's a nitpick of mine. The reason I don't have a problem with reprolabels per se, is simply because at the end of the day, if you were to remove the stickers from the toy, you'd still have a vintage toy. Repro parts aren't kosher with me, as I consider the accessories part of the toy, and therefore if the parts are reproduction, its not right.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'd pass

11. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I'd pass on both and wait until I can find the figure with decent original stickers.

Related: I once had 3 complete Ramhorns for sale, all in similar condition except one had new labels. The re-labeled one sat for about a year after the others sold, and had it's priced reduced before someone grabbed it. I'd say there's certainly those who prefer an all original figure.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^Pretty much This.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Repro all the way.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've restickered a large portion of my G1 figures, and they all look so much better for it. I'm not concerned about resale so I get them looking their best.

Plus I find cleaning and stickering a bot adds a personal connection you don't get from simply buying it.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    For now I would definitely remove the old ratty labels. Megatron is one toy that doesn't need all of his stickers. You can always just partially re-label him, maybe only the chest stickers and faction symbols.

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i agree with ya...when i got the reissue takara bruticus....the sticker sheet went unused...if there was not a tampo on them of something...it did not get added...i just don't like sticking stickers on the TF's anymore...the reissue insecticons stickers sucked..would not stay on...

Transformers look better with paint apps and tampos now ...stickers need to not be applied...

17. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    thanks for all of your feedback. i planned on selling him and still may but every day that passes that he's in my possession is another day that he just may stay in my collection.

so much for rebuilding and reselling. this hobby isn't working to well for me.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really miss label sheets. Some of my fondest memories were applying the labels as a kid. Granted, I could have done a better job, but the process is one of being able to claim ownership. Also, it engaged me in some level of the creation process, albeit a very small one. Even when I make a custom today, one of my absolute favorite things to do is apply the faction labels. It's as if I'm the one branding them, and at least with the faction labels that what they are. Additionally, one of the things I really enjoy about G1 is that they felt like 1:32 model cars on some level to me. The label sheets really hones in on that aspect of the toys.

That being said, I like tampos as well, and I can see why many people prefer them.

19. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Years ago when I first started collecting, reprolables weren't as big as they are now. in fact what little they did offer weren't even precut for you, you had to cut them out yourself. But I loved them nonetheless. Still do, but mostly their custom sets. The more I got into the variants, and the originality of the figures, I wanted factory stickers. Now its a big part of my purchasing conditions. I look for prestine factoy stickers. I even sold off a few mint figures with Reprolables to replace them with original ones. And a few I relabled with KO lables after they were first relabled with Reprolables. The Reprolables look better, brighter, nicer, but the KO lables look almost dead nuts on to the originals.