How do you know when to say when?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Human Beastbox, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Now, I haven't been seriously collecting all that long (3 years+) but I think I'm starting to get sick of most of my toy robot collection as a whole. May be I'm just having a bad brain chemistry/negative thought pattern day or something. I just don't know.

Now that I've amassed this modest dust collecting reminder of my social short comings, if I could get rid of most of them, I somehow think I'd feel less burdened or something. I just don't know. My love/hate relationship with my geeky predilections ebbs and flows but I might just be serious this time and get rid of like 50% of what I have. It's wheat from chaff time, perhaps.

My question to you, my fellow toy robot peoples, is when/how do I know if this is just a passing phase and I'll feel much better in a day or two?

Anyone else felt this way before and how did you deal with it?

Thus concludes this edition of Toy Robot Emo Theater.:D 

2. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    more importantly, remember what this "phase" is. just buy what you really want, and save your money. welfare is first. well for you its late for that, but ultimately its your decision, sell them if you want to, or keep them. I'm assuming you kept buying them only on impulse. Bad way to go. But learn from it. Everybody does. Nerd . . .j/k

3. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    And through all this, I posted in the wrong damn forum.:mad 

MODS: If you could please move this to Toy Discussion. I ain't too bright sometimes.:dunce 

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Its a hobby. Enjoy it.

Selling parts of your collection is part of the hobby because getting rid of the figures brings more happiness than owning the figures.

Enjoy the freedom of maximizing what you want. Not necessarily a completest's checklist.

5. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Do what I did once and pack your entire collection in boxes for about 3 to 5 years and just conveniently forget about the hobby for a while.

Then if you decide to later, come back to it and enjoy it.

I think most normal people have phases like you described. Sometimes you're just more interested in one thing than you are others, and vice versa.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wallet usually lets me know...

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

If you're just sick of looking at the same toys every day, swap 'em out. I have a storage unit that I store stuff that's not on display and my shelves are on a constantly rotating basis. You might need to evaluate if you really are a true collector, or if possibly the collection itself was a phase. If it was, then hock 'em and be done with it. If not, then I would say hang on to what you got, but maybe store them somewhere, because if you are a true collector and you get rid of them you'll regret it later.

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Storage is another great idea.
    Out of sight out of mind.

Then when you do find 'em again, its treasure!

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Usually when you make thread about not wanting to collect is a pretty good indication that you are done with it. That being said, give it a break for a while and see what happeneds.

My only questions would be: What changed in your life to make you want to change your habbits?

10. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    I don't think I'm really done with collecting, as I've loved Transformers since I was like-8 years old, and I never quite shook it. Now, as an adult, I still love having them. If anything changed in my life, I think it was the realization of how much I have that I hold on to that I really just don't care for at all. You know, figures you bought you thought you'd really like and really don't at all.

That, and the fact that I have more toy robots than I have good display space for, and I hate packing them away in closets and boxes.

As the day has worn on, I'm thinking I may just have a big pare down to the ones I really love. And then, buy a nice Detolf from IKEA or something with some of the proceedings.

Then, I feel a TF buying hiatus coming on, provided I don't see a good deal now and then.

You guys have been quite constructive. Thanks!:thumbs2: 

11. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

All things go through phases, especially collecting things.

I play tabletop wargames, and have done for about....10 or 11 years now, but that went through phases were all my models sat in boxes, unbuilt, unpainted, unloved.

The same goes for TF and my previous toy collecting (I've since gone from collecting several lines to like 99% TF and the odd videogame toy or something). Right now, I can see myself slowing done until those supposed last Animated or the next Universe toys come out as the RoTF toys don't really appeal to me. Do I think that I'm done with the scene? No, I just know that things go back and forth.

Maybe when things pick up, you'll be a more selective buyer. I am now (although, I do have the odd impulse buy) and it's pretty good.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a phase like yours. I just boxed everything up and didn't look at it again for a few years. I've been collecting since I was a kid, started up again in high school (BW) and continued in college (G1, ETC). I quit collecting Junior/Senior year and sold tons of my figures to finance stuff like dates... Now, i'm not with any of those chicks and do they even remember those expensive dinners? LOL, I do!

Anyhow, A couple of months back I opened those boxes and displayed them again. I'm glad I didn't sell all of them because that would have really sucked.

I guess, my collecting goal is to eventually get to a point where I can quit fully. I'm close because I don't bite on every single new series that comes out. Mainly, I have all the BW figures and most of the G1 I'd like to own. Once I collect the remaining figures, i'll quit. Maybe in a year!

13. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Wow! I can so relate to this. Been feeling the same as of lately which is really a bummer because I was looking forward to the Rotf line before it came out. Grabbed a couple of those and might get a couple more but that's it. My "catching up on all the G1 goodies I never had" phase is winding down now and in a weird way I feel kinda complete. That is if you can make sense of that. This weekend I put everything away in boxes in the closet except for a few G1 Bots and Cons. Dude, you are right about this weird burden thingy that hovers over your head. I too made a collecting mistake in that of "buying on impulse". Hell, after a twenty year break from collecting what was I supposed to do? Just got caught up if you know what I mean. Anyway, I feel lots better putting most of it into storage right now. Am making plans to give a nice portion to my cousin who now has a little boy so they can enjoy it together. Somebody made a comment on here about how it feels better to give it away than to buy it, or something like that. You know, I think they're right. I'm so looking forward to giving this box of TF's to my cousin and his son. If you bought a lot of stuff on impulse, give that shit away man. Keep what you really really like and watch that burden float away yo! Peace!

14. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

they get old, but you get back into them, i try to get a new one or two a month, it helps...let me know of some good deals just in case?....

15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Only collect what you really want or can afford. I mysef never invisioned having a extensive collection, just a version or two (sometimes more) of my favorite characters. I have 50 or more figures to collect and I will be done. That is if I can get to that 50.

16. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

This. I had all of the movie figures last year and the Walmart Masterpiece Starscream. I sold all of them in one lot but then I regretted selling SS. Thankfulyl this year I found him again MISB for $50. Thats aside from the point though. Now I just collect what characters I like and thats it. It doesn't matter how big your collection but how much you like the ones you have.

17. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I can certainly understand the financial aspect of it. I used to live in my own apartment, racked up huge amounts of credit card debt and had to sell a lot of my collection and move back in with my parents. Now I have one bedroom and the rest goes into storage. I looked up at my G1 collection a couple of weeks ago and didn't see toys, I saw a down payment on a house. So now I'm selling my collection to raise a down payment. I figure I can buy them again later when I have the space to display them and really appreciate them.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    ^Yup, with things like ebay (and the interwebz in general) it makes it easier to be able to re-aquire them in the future if you decide to get rid of some.

19. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I have the strongest urge to sell my Classics stuff to make room for ROTF, but I know that'd be the most retarded thing I'd have ever done.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    A few things:

The most obvious choice is making sure your basic needs and your home is taken care of. I'll even say that I've passed on a meal or two to get a TF, but never to the point to where I'm having creditors come after me. You get in trouble to that extent, it's very difficult to find your way back out of it. It's feasible, just not ideal.

Aside from that, the next suggestion I'd offer (that some have already mentioned) is being very targeted in your collecting. For instance, I'll generally only get one toy that best represents each character from the movie line. I can't imagine being a completist with much of the newer lines. It's also not been too long that the only line I was buying was Alternators/Binal Tech. I passed on a lot of toys because of that choice, and am still glad that I made the choice.

If you think it's beyond future collecting and really want out, I'd offer this suggestion: give it some deep thought. I know of people who decide to sell their collections and regret it later, only to try to buy back much of what they've sold. I also know of people who liquidate their collections and are glad they did. In neither instance did the decision come lightly. I'm in this same position with my G.I. Joe collection. I really love the toys and still am into the line somewhat, but they're taking up a ton of space. I'm pretty much over collecting that line anyways. I'll keep a few that I really like the most, and get rid of the rest.

I really hope some of my suggestions help. You may end up seeing yourself doing a combination of some of those. Whatever the case, choose wisely :)