How do you keep track of larger collections?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zula, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Zula

Zula Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi.
    My collection is getting rather sizable, and I'm having trouble keeping track of the figures I possess
    How do you keep track of your collections once they get past a certain size?

Do you use any cataloging software or database?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I use Shmax.com. They have listings for practically all Transformers, and you can have your own detailed inventory on their site.

3. Zula

Zula Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Checking the site.

Forgot to mention that I have significant amount of 3P and other figures to catalogue as well.

Just saw another thread with a similar subject. :cool: 
    Guess I failed a spot check.

4. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

OCD mostly....

• Like Like x 1
  5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    keeping them on display and transforming them occasionally does it for me, plus my photo albums nowadays

6. Zula

Zula Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    May not have enough space to display everything, so would have to rotate in and out of storage.

Also, want to catalogue, to avoid buying duplicates. (Happened a couple times)

7. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I have every figure that I've bought since getting back in on display and I went through all of my boxes last winter and catalogued all of my figures. I just used Notes on my iPad, nothing fancy, though I'm going to check out that site that alldarker mentioned.

I have organized it by Series(G1,G2,Etc), then by faction, alphabetically. Each character entry also gets two notes, one for missing parts and one for broken parts, if any. Combiners are listed as a single character, with unowned figures listed under missing parts. Even if I curate my collection online I'll still use this system as it helps me when I'm at a flea market or toy show. This way I know what I need and don't need to replace, it's right there on my iPhone.

8. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

News Credits:
    I started a Microsoft Access database for mine years ago. Columns for series (G1, G2, Armada, etc.), faction, subgroup, "region" (to be able to easily separate European, Japanese, US versions), name, condition (new, loose, mib), if I had the packaging, paperwork, tech specs, if I had all parts, what was missing if I didn't have all the parts, when I got the figure, what I paid, "current" value (when I update that... as it probably would be useful for insurance purposes), and how many of the figure I had.

I haven't been good about maintaining it the last year or so, but I'm back at it now.

9. Risko_Vinsheen

Risko_Vinsheen Well-Known Member

I've got an Excel spreadsheet file. Three separate sheets in the one file. One for Autobots, one for Decepticons, and one for 'Other' (Maximals, Predacons, Shattered Glass, Rescue Bots, Crossovers, etc). Columns for figure name, size class, series/line/subline, and an extra column for special notes like if it's an exclusive to a certain place or something. Got a custom sort set up so all I have to do is add a figure to the bottom of the list then hit the sort so it organizes them by size class then name. Each sheet also has one cell that keeps an automatic count of the number of figures in that list.

10. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

I use google sheets which is very similar to an excel sheet that I can just access it from any device.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I rely completely on memory. It usually works but I have bought one or two figures twice when I forget I already have them.