How do you judge what goes into your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by daytimeninja, Nov 22, 2011.

1. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I was just recently looking at my RTS collection and have always considered it a part of the classics group. After thinking about it, not all of the figures are classics in the same way that I would consider classics (G1 counterpart).

As of now, I have my Transformers organized by line (RTS, DoTM, etc.) not by group (Classics, Movie, etc.) but really want to organize by group, and was wondering what everyone's opinion on characters under the classics umbrella not really being classics are.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Molds that don't look too cartoonish like Animated and molds that don't look too mechanical and complicated, like Prime and the Movie. I group my CHUG figures by season 1/2 Autobots, season 1/2 Decepticons, Season 3/4 Decepticons, and Season 3/4 Autobots in case you're wondering about that too.

It's completely up to you. Just try different things and see what works. I find going to the collection forum and looking at other people's collections helps.

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I sort them by group. Some of the RTS figures are ones that are the classic movieverse mixed aesthetic. Kinda like Seaspray and Bludgeon and Mindwipe. These figures can really fall into either category and look so its a matter of personal preference. I display these with classics but thats just me.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I've only ever gotten the G1 characters from the RTS line. That's why they're with Generations figures. Also because they were released around the same time. I keep my universe 1.0 and 2.9 together but sperate from Generations/RTS. Oh, and I also keep my masterpiece figures in a diffrent group even though the US releases are technically Generations.

5. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Outside of Masterpieces there is only one rule: IT MUST BE A DECEPTICON!!!!!!

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it's a G1 reissue or Classics, odds are I'll buy a version of that particular release (including exclusives).

If it's Beast Era-current (Movieverse & Prime), if the character/release is in the series/film or something about it catches my eye, I'll get it.

Anything else (third party/unlicensed, MPs, Alternators/Alternity) I'll pick up if it interests me.

I do prefer the "best" version of a particular character or release, but "best" doesn't always mean the most accurate (it's more what I personally view as the "best" version, even if it differs from the general consensus on here), and if I like multiple versions than I'll just pick up whichever ones I like since I don't like kicking myself over passing on something and see that same item jump in price later.

I haven't automatically picked up a toy because it was part of the on-screen cast of a cartoon/film, but that has boosted the odds that I'll pick up certain stuff up.

I do stay away from GPS and extremely fragile older releases (Hasbro Transmetal Megs, anything with GPS). Barring reissues with these problems being fixed, there will probably be some Transformers I never ever buy (Electro, Black Zarak, etc.).

Some items are considered a priority to buy ahead of others based on expected or realized scarcity, while other releases I pick up "ahead of schedule" if I stumble upon a good deal on the boards or elsewhere online.

I admit, when I do decide I want something (usually older releases I missed out on) and have trouble finding it online, I get impatient and Google the hell out of it looking for it and jump immediately upon finding it, even if it isn't the "best" deal.

I'm also a black redeco and clear plastic whore, so any of these kinds of releases will probably end up in my collection sooner or later.

7. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    they by line and not gruop for me

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I sort them...

by shelve & desk space :) 

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Do I like the toy?
    Do I think it's a proper representation of the G1 cartoon character?

I'm pickier about the second question than the first.

10. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    75% of reviews of a certain figure must say good things.
    In Classics, a figure must be fairly G1 accurate.
    It must appeal to me.
    And in collection number faction wise, it depends on the count of each side and I'll try to get more a certain faction if it's outnumbered by the other (right now it's the Decepticons that are in need of more figures)

11. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    1. I focus on collecting Bumblebee stuff;
    2. I should like the figure, even if it's a Bumblebee but I don't like it, I won't get it;
    3. I used to buy anything and everything that's related to Bumblebee like stationery, slippers, pens, etc. know I only get figures.

12. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My rule is, if it looks good buy it.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My collection only consists of G1 (vintage and reissues) and 4 or 5 DOTM deluxes, so it's real easy to group :) 

14. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, but my main gripe is I'm having trouble to group my RTS figures such as Chopsaw, Strafe, etc in my CHUG section, even though most consider RTS a Classics branch.

Stupid OCD.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it awesome? I get it.

and/or

Is it cheap? I get it.

16. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Simple. Chopsaw and Strafe have no business being with something outside of the movie stuff. Granted, I don't care for either repaint and didn't bother picking either up...:p 

Now, how do I judge what goes into my collection? Do I like the character? Do I think the toy is interesting? Do I already have a version of the character? Oh, and is it cheap/on sale? Usually, I don't go for multiples of the same character. A great character helps push me towards wanting a figure of him/her, but it doesn't save a crappy toy. That said, some toys may be really good despite having an awful character (Energon Mirage) or not appearing at all in the movie/cartoon/comic. (DOTM Skyhammer) And sometimes a good sale may be enough to convince me to buy a figure I was on the fence about.

Third-party stuff MUST appeal to me, and I (obviously) MUST have the figure the third-party item works with in the case of the add-on kits. If I don't like the look of it, or don't have the required figure to make use of it, then why would I want to pay even a dime for it? Oh, and it must not be stupidly expensive either. I can live without City Commander and Ultra Magnus, since both arms and both legs of mine are much to valuable to pay for that thing as cool as it may be.