How do you get into collecting other action figures?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by iheartarcee, Oct 3, 2007.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I see a lot of you guys are into GI Joes and Spider man and other action figures. While Ive always thought GI Joes are cool ive never really gotten into collecting them like I have transformers. So were you into collecting these other toys before you got into transformers or is it something you just kinda got into?

I could see how collecting or hunting for certain action figures would be cool, but unless they have some really high nib value, it have a hard time justifying buying anything besides transformers because of the lack of play value.

2. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

Play value is what you make of it, honestly. I always loved Transformers, and other Robot Toys, ever since i was a kid. But in all honesty, I played with my GI Joes more than anything. Especially with friends around. That, and Ninja Turtles. Now that I'm older, I collect Transformers because they're aesthetically pleasing. I'll pick up the occasionally GI Joe (more now that the 25th anniversary line is out), but play value doesn't really factor into my buying habits anymore.

3. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I was collecting Star Wars figures about 8 months before I got into Transformers (which I loved when I was a kid). Since then I've kinda branched off into Hot Wheels (real models mostly) and some Iron Man stuff. I also do comic books...

My love of Star Wars is mostly from watching the movies so much. So I usually by my favorite characters and other cool figures. Most of my collection is carded, but not much is displayed. I have more TF's than SW's figures... so they get shown off :) 

4. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I started collecting non-transfromer stuff with the American McGee's Alice line. Saw the Alice figure in EB games, thought it was cool and bought it since I loved the game. Soon I bought more and more Alice figures and well here I am now.

5. iheartarcee

Well I agree, as a kid I played with GI Joes a hundred more times than I did play with transformers, but I guess now talking as a 26 year old I get more of a kick transforming and posing transformers than I think I would setting up GI joes or star wars action figures

6. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Well, when I was a young lad, I collected Transformers, GI Joes, and He-Man. I also dabbled in MASK, Dino-Riders, Thundercats, Battle Beasts, and Visionaries.

Non-action figures were Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

I got out of collecting anything pretty much when Transformers ended on TV.

When Cybertron came around, I got back into collecting TFs full-on. GI Joes are still around, and I collect a few of those, but not to the same degree I did when I was younger. And, well, He-Man is all but gone except for some statues that come out every now and then.

I guess the things I liked collecting as a kid are still strong in my heart as an adult. I collect TFs, GI Joes, and diecast cars. Yay!

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I like to branch out when the Transformers franchise has less available (like the downtime between Classics and Movie stuff and/or right now)

There's still a lot more stuff I'd like to buy, but money usually limits it to a few things here and there.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I guess it's all in what your interests are. I collected He-Man along side with Transformers as a kid, as well as other toylines like Dino Riders, MASK and Thundercats. Then I lost interest in everything when Ninja Turtles came out...after Ninja Turtles it was X-Men and Marvel toys for awhile...then I got back into Transformers and not much else. I bought a couple Venom toys from the Spider-Man 3 movie toyline since Venom will always be a fav character of mine, but I couldn't see myself getting back into collecting action figures full tilt. I'm like you, Transformers has SO much more to offer me than the other toys on the shelf.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Growing up it was TF, GI Joe, Robotech, and LEGOs for me. So those are the toys I have now.

But if I see something really cool that I don't necessarily collect, I'd probably buy it just because it's cool.

Oh I also collect specific McFarlane SportsPicks as well.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    well the other stuff actually got me inte TF again since childhood.

Bought my first fig in 1998 with McF Jason in movie maniacs one, I then continued with only getting MM every year. After a few years it ended with me going on to expand with Spawn figs. Only a short time after I started with Star Wars POTF" and , then ep1 and so on in normal SW going. I then found out about Armada and NTFA and checked around. I was hooked and started to get Armada toys in Swedish retail ( dumbarse). I looked back further and got RID to and checked the attic to see if my old G1 were in good condition, and as many they were not. I bought my first new G1 toy from a NTFA boardmember, the reissue Starscream back in 2003 I think. It then went on with more takara reissues and loose bots from ebay. and so it went one

Fastforward to today.

Energon,Armada,RID and anything else not G1 has been sold off. Most Spawn stuff has been sold off. I have turned to MIB with G1. I buy Kotobukiyas SW statues and will get a few Gentle giants statues to. I have 2 LOTR statues of my favorits. Carded SW I dont collect anymore unless it is one of the 14 missing ones from POTF2.

Cant wait for Kotobukias Bounty hunter line ..an intense 6 months :) 

so tthis is were I am today :) 

11. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I collect Batman and Spawn because of my childhood too.
    you got to check out DCSH S8....

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Seems like a ridiculously simple question to me - the same way someone collects Transformers exclusively gets into TFs in the first place?

Used to collect toy dinosaurs (Carnegie, Smithsonian, Playskool, and generic stuff), TMNT, and eventually Godzilla toys and TFs when I was younger. Now I collect some Transformers, Godzilla, and Ultraman toys. Not much has changed, though there were some lines I collected for a time (Aliens, Bionicle) temporarily.

13. iheartarcee

Thats cause it is a simple question! I'm just curious to know how you got into GI joes and what the value of them are to you. I like transformers cause they are cool to transform and so detailed..

14. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

it's sort of a natural occurance. you start out with one toy line, and it branches out and out until you have a collection. i started with G1, then it branched out to beast wars, alts, classics, then to marvel legends, spiderman, and now them saint seiya myth cloths. im running out of room!! :( 

15. Prime81

Prime81 Long-time Fan

For me, it was like one thing leads to another. I had Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, HeMan, and Marvel figures and continued to collect action figures, not only for the nostalgia factor but because action figures keep evolving and getting better in my opinion. My jaw woulda dropped in the 80s just thinking about the detail and poseability some of these figures have. But back to my point, learning about the upcoming Binaltech and Masterpiece Prime lead to a real resurgence for me in terms of collecting Transformers, which lead me to search out other Japanese figures (that would ultimately lead me to one of my new collecting obsessions, Medicom figures). And reading a thread on this board lead me to the awesome Busou Shinki line of figures. I guess enjoyment in a figure line is all in the eye of the beholder. I think Busou Shinki, Revoltech, Medicom RAHs, and Marvel Legends can have just as many hours of enjoyment as Transformers. All great lines IMO with great poseability and nice details.

16. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I had some TMNT when I was young, but wouldn't call it collecting. The first line I actually somewhat collected was RID. Then I went on to collecting a pretty complete Armada set, including exclusives.

While looking for Cybertron figures when they were first released, I saw some Marvel Legends for $3 each of the Galactus series. I was always tempted to pick them up, because I like the Build a Figure concept, and luckily they had the complete set. I'm not really a comic book fan, although I have read a few in the past year after getting into MLs. After getting the Galactus series of ML, I didn't buy any until the 14th wave was out. There was a TF downtime, and I wanted a giant Apocalypse. From there, I ended up getting a full wave 14 and 15, and I'm still collecting now

17. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'm... not into GI Joe? :poke 

18. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

A man can not live by Transformers alone.

19. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Man if you buy some of those 25th Joes you will not be disappointed. The only problem you might have is trying to budget them and the TF fund. They are really great.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It could be a lot of things, from how much you like a show or video game that has toys, to just how cool you think certain things look. For me though, I've always liked a lot of different things, when I was a kid I had Voltron toys, GI Joes, Ninja Turtles, Silverhawks, Thundercats, Marvel and DC toys, Spawn toys, Star Wars, etc etc etc along with Transformers you know, and I'm a video game, movie, and anime nerd as well, so over the years I've just been into all kinds of action figures in general. If it represents something I'm into property wise, or just plain looks bad ass like Xevoz toys or whatever, I'm into it. I collect a lot of stuff and have an interest in an even wider array of things I can't afford. Uh blah blah, anyway, for me it's just that I like a lot of things and I've always liked action figures in general so I'm really just an all around nerdy ass collector

If you're concerned with play value though, Transformers are far from the only toy line with that, and GI Joes are a great place to start, you get little affordable figures with tons of accessories usually that are well articulated and there's usually fairly affordable vehicles to buy for them and blah and blah and blah

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007