How do you fire someone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jourdo, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is all seriousness. For the business owners/managers out there... how do you let someone go? How do you tell them during the interview that they are not good enough? I'm really crappy at this kind of thing and could use the advice.

Your comments (even the smartass ones) are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You line up a group of employees and say to them, "Every one who hasn't just been fired, take three big steps back -- Johnson, where do you think you're going?"

Or something to that effect.

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I've always tried to butter them up and let them know that they're a good worker, but they're just not a good fit for your business. Give them a personal example, for instance. If you're a small guy, say, "I'm a good worker, but I would never make it as a bouncer. I just wouldn't be right for the job". Be very clear in telling them at they are being terminated (if you aren't clear, it could very well lead to confusion on their part).

Be prepared for odd questions, and remember that at this point they are no longer part of the company and are very much NOT privy to inside information.

Just remember that you should do a review with them prior to firing them, and let them know then that if you don't see an improvement (give them a time, say 2 weeks), they will be terminated. This gives them a fair opportunity to turn it around.

Granted it's someone who needs to be fired immediately (say someone stealing), you should just skip the review and get with the firing.

Be fair, and firm.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Make it short and sweet. Don't do it on a Friday. Those two days where they can't contact anyone about a new job are crucial. Depression can set in really quickly if they can't get back in the job hunting game right away.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Im guessing its not someone stealing or doing really really bad at their job, otherwise it would be easier to fire them.

Just something that you have to bite the bullet and get it over with. If you're having trouble you can remind them that most people who get fired actually move on to find better paying jobs, and if you are willing to give them a good recommendation for their next job make sure to let them know that too.

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Give them the reason and simply tell them that they are fired, or it's not working out. No reason to beat around the bush, you aren't doing them any favors.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    True. the reason you're letting them go should effect the WAY you let them go. If it's something like budget constraints, talk about the possibility of cutting back hours or something like that. If it's quality of work, have they been spoken to about it before? Is it Gross Negligence or Disobedience? Also to consider, are you in a state/line of work with "Right to work" laws or some-such? Is it a union emloyee? All those things come into effect.

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Simply say that unfortunately they are not performing up to expecatations and that you have to let them go.

I assume this isn't coming totally out of left field for the employee...

9. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well what exactly are the reason(s) for the firing? If its something just purely budgetary then as others have said just explain that reasoning, a little more info on this couldn't hurt.

10. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    wait, are you talking about "firing" someone or about "not hiring" someone after an interview?

11. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    You've got to go the Vince McMahon route, bug your eyes out and get your voice all gravelly: "You're fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired!!!!!!"

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, I don't know anything at all about being a manager, but I thought conventional wisdom was that you WANT to fire them on a Friday. Decreases the chances of them showing up the next and causing a problem, and since they were going to have the weekend off anyways, it means they don't have to wake up on a Wednesday and lay in bed all because they don't know what else to do.

I mean, what you're saying makes sense also, I just thought that Friday was the standard among management types.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

[​IMG]

Seriously, Firing someone is like giving them a F in a class. When they deserve it they need to be told with all honesty. Lay offs I dunno...

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get someone else to do it for you.

15. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I hear exterminators are especially qualified for firing people.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do it in private with another manager or supervisor there in the office. Make sure you're ready for a tirade from them or water works. Key thing is for you and the other manager/supervisor is to remain calm and level headed. Let the employee further dig his/her own grave.

17. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    LOL yeah..just watch that episode from King of the Hill where Dale gets hired at and IT firm and his boss, who's scared to do the firings asks Dale if he can do it :) 

18. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

rip it like a band aid. drop em like their hot

19. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    can you give us a little more detail about the situation?

First off, be honest with the soon-to-be-ex-employee. If it's something that you think can be corrected, go with the review and give him two weeks. If it's something that they have been warned about (cursing on the phone/to customers, stealing, walking around with their cock out) call them out on it and boot them.

Or you can go the douchy route and have their key card/e-mail/PC password de-activated.

20. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Get that guy from King of the Hill to do it, he was good at it.